This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Unable to Install Zorin OS 7 Please Help

LinuxNoob1

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26:00 am

My problem starts back when I first bought an HP Dv8301nr. The laptop came with a 60GB Hard Drive, 512MB of Ram, ATI 200M Video Card, 1.2GHZ AMD 64 Mobile Technology and Windows XP Media Center 32-Bit. XP runs very slow in this machine since the OS is 32-Bit running on a 64-Bit processor. Back when I got the laptop is was Windows Vista ready but when I got the upgrade CD the computer would not upgrade. Every time it would crash during installation, it does not accept anything other than Media Center. Even when I changed Hard Drives to a 250GB I had a hard time installing Media Center. It would install turn on and then BSOD. I managed to fix it but now I'm trying to install Linux on it. I have updated the drivers, including the BIOS and nothing seems to work. I boot the DVD with Linux and it comes to the selection screen and I enter the setup, once there the OS loads and then it crashes. BTW, I have upgraded the ram to 2.0GB and even that hasn't helped. I am uploading screenshots of the message I get when Zorin stops working. Please if any of you have encountered this problem I would really appreciate your help.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:17:51 am

Hi,

my first question is did you use a disk and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

Did you try the 2nd option in the boot menu which is safe mode?.

When you see the Zorin boot menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" or "apci=off" and see if that works, press the "Enter" key after typing either of those commands!.

Regards Wolfman :D

LinuxNoob1

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23:04 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

my first question is did you use a disk and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4771

Did you try the 2nd option in the boot menu which is safe mode?.

When you see the Zorin boot menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" or "apci=off" and see if that works, press the "Enter" key after typing either of those commands!.

I used a DVD and I didn't burn it at the slowest speed, my reason for that was that on another computer I used the same DVD and it worked perfectly fine. I will burn the image again and use the slowest speed though. I did press the Tab key and entered the nomodeset, at that point it went to the login screen for zorin and then showed me that screen you see in the images. I will try again with slowest speed burning and apci=off

LinuxNoob1

Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:44:57 pm

Just tried burning it at the slowest speed which for me is 3x and using the "nomodeset" and "apci=off", there were no new results. laptop crashes before I can select any options for the OS

Wolfman

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:07:44 am

Hi,

you tried the disk on a different PC and it does work, have you tried a Lite version of Zorin?, it is quite possible that the PC is on the very limit of system requirements for Zorin 7!!.