This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Same disk differerent installer?

Acer DeVille

Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:32:57 pm

I downloaded Zorian 7, burned it to disk and loaded it up to installed on two computers. I was given the options to "1. Replace Windows, 2. Install alongside windows. 3.Something Else". There may have been something else, I don't remember, anyway I plopped the same disk into another pc, booted up and the options are "1. Replace Windows, 2. Encrypt Zorin, 3. Use Lvm, 4. Something Else", install alongside windows is missing. Also, when I got to the resize disk screen there was a large box in which I created a new partition, and resized by sliding the divider, now I get to that screen and highlight a partition, click change and a "Edit Partition" box pops up saying "Do not use this partition".

My question is how did the installer on a dvd change? What option do I choose to install beside windows? What is the best way to create the partition, so that I don't accidently delete windows? Again I'm just so confused as to how the installer changed.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:52:14 am

Hi,

here is a guide to partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

And one for using the Something Else method:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

Hope it helps.

as to why you are getting the message about not using a particular partition, well it might be that that is a backup recovery partition for your PC, can you post a screenshot of your partition layout for us?.

Regards Wolfman :D

Acer DeVille

Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:39:43 am

Thanks for the replies, it's going to take me a couple of days to get back to this, things have gotten hectic here. Something I forget in the first post, the disk I'm trying to install on has 120GB free, but when I go into windows resize tool, it it only allowing me to create a partition of 3000kb. I've got to download a partition manager to create a new partition.
I'll get the screenshots as quick as possible. I do appreciate everyone here being so nice and patient.