This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 7 Install - Win8 PC

FarmBoss

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:30:25 am

Hi. Brand new to Linux/Zorin. I bought Zorin OS 7 Ultimate - 32 bit. Trying to install on new laptop that came with Windows 8. I booted Zorin from DVD, clicked the install icon on desktop - but install procedure does not see the Windows 8 O/S. For the heck of it, I tried installing on laptop with XP and the install procedure recognized the XP O/S and prompted me to partition the drive prior to install. Any thoughts on why install does not see Windows 8?

Anonymous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40:52 am

If you are planning on a dual boot setup...don't bother..it will not work right at this day in time !!!!
" That's in the current development stages of Windows 8...Windows 8.1...Pro "
Either one or the other...when it comes to a Notebook !!!!
You can dual boot on a Desktop with two separate drives.
Read everything very careful in the link I posted below.

Link : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4306

Anonymous

Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:01:40 am

FarmBoss wrote:Hi. Brand new to Linux/Zorin. I bought Zorin OS 7 Ultimate - 32 bit. Trying to install on new laptop that came with Windows 8. I booted Zorin from DVD, clicked the install icon on desktop - but install procedure does not see the Windows 8 O/S. For the heck of it, I tried installing on laptop with XP and the install procedure recognized the XP O/S and prompted me to partition the drive prior to install. Any thoughts on why install does not see Windows 8?

If your planning on ditching Windows 8 for Zorin OS 7.
Make sure you don't delete the hidden recovery partition when installing Zorin OS.
Back up the hidden recovery partition to an external drive for later days. " Plus "
Go into " BIOS " a disable UEFI if needed.
Pull the battery on the Notebook...then put the battery back in while the power adapter is disconnected.

Windows 8 goes into a hyper-snooze so to speak, for it never shuts completely down.
That's why you need to cold start the Notebook when attempting to install Zorin OS.
By pulling the Battery !!!!

Pierre

Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:44:23 am

if you hold down the pwr button whilst win_8 is running,
it will not go into the 'hibernation' mode.
- the difference is in the much longer, boot time - closer to 60s, from cold .. ..

dual_booting with win_8 is still a tricky process,
- read lots about it, - before attempting to try ..

Anonymous

Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31:02 am

Pierre wrote:if you hold down the pwr button whilst win_8 is running,
it will not go into the 'hibernation' mode.
- the difference is in the much longer, boot time - closer to 60s, from cold .. ..

dual_booting with win_8 is still a tricky process,
- read lots about it, - before attempting to try ..

I can't believe I missed this :lol: :lol:

You continuously try to force Windows 8 to shutdown....Windows 8 almost everytime will go into recovery trying to repair itself relative to startup.
Waiting and waiting 8 minutes longer for it to go through the scenario.
Microsoft made Windows 8 a little to sensitive to such processes.

Swarfendor437

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:17:56 am

I have created a [STICKY] - "Don't fear UEFI" - this has been updated with some BIOS screenshots from a Samsung Series 9 Ultrabook - the screenshots give you pointers as to where you need to look and it would appear that there is an option to add your own 'key' - presently this is being undertaken by Ubuntu and Fedora, known as 'shims'.

shim (shm) n.
A thin, often tapered piece of material, such as wood, stone, or metal, used to fill gaps, make something level, or adjust something to fit properly.
tr.v. shimmed, shim·ming, shims
To fill in, level, or adjust by using shims or a shim.

In this case providing a 'key' to enable Ubuntu and Fedora to 'fit'! :D