This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Windows XP. Help!

Ikram232

Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:09:24 pm

Hi, I just joined Zorin OS Forums because I have a problem which is preventing me from installing Zorin OS! I have Windows XP installed on my desktop computer. I want to install Zorin OS, Dual-Boot. So when I choose 'Install alongside Windows', it detects my computer as Windows 8. That is false as I have Windows XP Professional, that's one thing I need advice at. Second, many people selected 'Install alongside Windows' and after installing, they said Windows would not boot when they selected it from the OS loader (I think it is called GRUB loader.). That's another thing that is preventing me from installing Zorin OS! I love Zorin OS and it automatically worked with my OLD wireless dongle without installing anything. (I used Live CD) and I want to install it. Here are some information about my desktop computer:

Desktop Computer
1GB RAM
Windows XP Professional
320GB HDD
Acer Aspire
32-bit

If you need more information about my desktop computer then tell me on your replies. Just in case, I know how to partition a Hard Drive! I am a real newbie on Linux and I don't understand lots of things about it so try to make it easy. Anyways, please help me. Thanks!

Anonymous

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:19:01 pm

Did you by any chance install the Windows 8 from last year or 8.1 Preview recently....or try then revert back to XP.

And anytime you ask a question relating to system trouble shooting... your first words should be the complete specs > make/model before anything else.
The reason it saves you the time waiting on a response and helps narrow down what the problem/problems even quicker.

Ikram232

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:48:10 pm

To datek1,

Well, I did install 8.1 Preview,but I dual booted, so I still had XP. I followed a guide on how to remove 8.1 preview from XP so that got rid of it and I hoped there were no traces of Windows 8.1! Would it be OK if I just continue the setup?

Ikram232

Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52:12 pm

Here is my specs:

1024MB DDR2 RAM, Channels;2
Graphic Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405
Acer Aspire T180
Motherboard: ACER EM61SM/EM61PM
Windows XP Pro SP3
HDD: 320GB

Anonymous

Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:46:09 am

I have to head out, but Wolfman or Madvinegar can help ya with that part later on in the morning..

They will be online later on early AM your time.
Check back then !!!! :D :D

If you need a copy of XP let me know and I'll direct you to the right link to download a legit ISO.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:55:15 am

Ikram232 wrote:To datek1,

Well, I did install 8.1 Preview,but I dual booted, so I still had XP. I followed a guide on how to remove 8.1 preview from XP so that got rid of it and I hoped there were no traces of Windows 8.1! Would it be OK if I just continue the setup?

Hi,

you should be safe to continue assuming you know how to partition, please see this guide which may help:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

If you have partitions already setup, you can use the something else method, there is a link in the guide above!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:32:47 pm

Wolfman wrote:
Ikram232 wrote:To datek1,

Hi,

you should be safe to continue assuming you know how to partition, please see this guide which may help:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

If you have partitions already setup, you can use the something else method, there is a link in the guide above!.

Regards Wolfman :D

OK, my mind is going all over the place. Just tell me what should I do to my HDD.

My Partitions:
Local Disk (C:). (Windows Files)
ACER2 (H:). (Keep lots of my stuff in there)

Do I need to make another partition?
What should I do to it?

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:48:41 pm

OK. Forget this actually. I am just going to wipe the Hard Drive. And install Zorin OS on the hard drive. But before someone closes this thread. I just want to ask on least thing.

I am going to Install Zorin OS on my hard drive, (replace Windows XP) but I want to keeper my second partition, so will Zorin OS format my Second Partition?

My Second Partition is where I keep my IMPORTANT files. I will back it up. But I want to install on the C: drive not my H: Drive.

Anonymous

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03:37 pm

I'll make it easy for you since you seem to be puzzled still on how to do things.

You have the XP partition. > Replace XP with Zorin OS and and run XP within Zorin OS via virtual machine.
And keep your other partition as a storage only.
Xp is now short lived, so therefore is won't hurt to ditch it as primary and run it on a virtual machine.

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:26:02 pm

datek1 wrote:I'll make it easy for you since you seem to be puzzled still on how to do things.

You have the XP partition. > Replace XP with Zorin OS and and run XP within Zorin OS via virtual machine.
And keep your other partition as a storage only.
Xp is now short lived, so therefore is won't hurt to ditch it as primary and run it on a virtual machine.

Alright, I am about to install it. Please do not close this thread yet. I might need some help during Installation.

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:28:26 pm

Question:
I have used Zorin OS using Live CD and it is SUPER SLOW loading. I am guessing it is something to do with the CD. Will it be faster after I installed it?

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:30:45 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:You have to remember that live is utilising all your RAM - that is why it is slow.

Okay, I am about to Install Zorin OS 7 Core!

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34:31 pm

Okay, I am at the Installation Type page. It can select 3 options:

Install Zorin Alongside them
Erase Disk and install Zorin
Something Else

I am guessing I should choose Erase Disk and Install Zorin but I do not want to erase my H: as I said earlier! What should I do?

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:45:21 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:Check out my how to here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1658

Basic - something else option:

1. Delete C - how big is it?

a. Create a 'root' partition ('/') formatted to 'ext4', make it primary at start of the free space you created deleting C:/ and make it 30000 Mibs.

b. Create an extended partition and at the END create a 4 Gb swap area - if you have more than 4 Gb of RAM then match it - if you have less than 4 Gb leave swap at 4 Gb - you don't have to choose a file system type for this bit.

c. Whatever is at the START of the extended partition, make all of it '/home' - again format to 'ext4'

I dont really understand!

Ikram232

Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:12:01 pm

you can close this thread. I have successfully installed Zorin OS! YAY! It's SUPER fast. Much faster than XP! Thanks EVERYONE for the advice and giving me the confidence to install Zorin OS! Thanks!