This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No CLEAR installation guides anywhere

rickyreeve

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:52:09 pm

I've been searching online for the last couple of hours trying to find a way to install Zorin on my other machine. The ONLY means I have to do this is via and external USB hard drive. My **** drive doesn't work. The problem is, every bit of advice I come across assume it's a PEN drive I'm using but it's not. It is an external USB hard drive that I can only format to ExFat or NTFS. (There is no FAT32 option available)

I've tried to mount the downloaded .iso image using the 'Windows 7 USB/DVD' tool and the 'unetbootin' tool but both tools won't detect the USB drive.

I'm at my wits end, to say I'm frustrated doesn't even come close.

PLEASE HELP

oh and please, to save time, I've NEVER used any linux system before so I am a total novice. Please avoid anything too technical.

One other important point. The machine I want to install Zorin on already has a broken version on Ubuntu on it from a previous failed attempt to instal linux.

Wolfman

Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:35:46 am

Hi,

to install to a USB drive, you must make sure that the drive is fully mounted, insert the drive BEFORE you start Unetbootin or it won't find it!!. It is as simple as that!.

You say failed Ubuntu install?, can you describe what went wrong there please!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Auldyin

Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:42:23 am

Hello ricky

My **** drive doesn't work

Sorry you need some blue ***** to fix that , you only get blue jewels on this forum

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D

madvinegar

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:02:19 pm

Auldyin wrote:Hello ricky

My **** drive doesn't work

Sorry you need some blue ***** to fix that , you only get blue jewels on this forum

Cheers Auldyin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rickyreeve you can format an external hard drive at FAT32 using gparted. If you are using a linux OS, install gparted from the software center and use it to format the drive at FAT32. It may take a while though, considering that it will probably be a lot of MBs.

However, there is an option in unebootin (lower left side of the program window) where it says "type" and you can select "hard drive disk" instead of "USB disk".

Auldyin

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:29:53 pm

To be serious

This is a good site about Windose USB live installations http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

And when I used Windose I used both Yumi and Universal USB Installer and preferred them to Unetbootin because they were always kept more up to date.

Cheers Auldyin

Auldyin

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:56:38 pm

Hi

You may laugh madvinegar but does the forum have a **** drive expert, can he {or she} COME forward and RISE to the occasion it's not a HARD question.?

Cheers Auldyin

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Auldyin

Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:14:36 pm

Well at least Iv'e found my next username.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o