This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin DVDs not working

citfta

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:16:00 pm

I belong to a couple of other Linux forums but I joined this one because it seemed more likely to be able to help me. I am trying to install Zorin 7 core or Zorin 7 lite on an older Emachine. It is an Emachine W3506 with an Intel Celeron D processor running at 3.2 Ghz and has 2 GB of ram. It has an ATI Radion Xpress 2000 video card.

I ordered a DVD from a seller on Ebay because I was having trouble getting a good download. I originally ordered Zorin 7 core. When I tried to boot with it nothing happens. If I try to look at the DVD Windows XP will lock up and I have to use control, alt and delete to get out of the lock up. If I try to use Fedora 19 to look at the DVD files it says an unknown file type of octet stream. I can boot this computer using either a Fedora 17 DVD or a Debian DVD so I am pretty sure I should be able to boot from the Zorin DVD.

When I explained all this to the seller he said my system was too old for Zorin 7 core and he would at no cost to me send me Zorin 7 Lite and he did that. He has sold many many things on Ebay with almost perfect feedback so I think he is selling a good product. However the new Zorin 7 Lite is acting exactly the same way. I am not unhappy with him at all as he has gone out of his way to try and make it right. But I can't see how the problem could be on my end.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks for any insight you can give, Carroll

PS: I was finally able to get a good download of Zorin 7 core and can get it to run live on my USB stick. But I still want the DVD to work for another machine that can't be booted by USB.

citfta

Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:06:26 am

Well to add to the mystery I have found that if I run Zorin 7 core live on my machine I CAN read the DVD! So I can boot up my machine on the USB stick and can read the Zorin 7 DVD but not if I am running Windows XP or Fedora. I am not a computer guru by any means but does that sound like the DVD might be recorded with the wrong file format?

citfta

Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:14:58 am

Ok some more info. I was wrong about the Zorin OS being able to read the DVD. It was actually reading the USB stick which Yumi had set up as a CD rom.

I have also been in contact with the seller again. He is making every effort he can to make this work. He informed me he has sold over 200 of these DVDs and the only problem anyone has had was a few people did not know how to get their computers to boot from the DVD. So now I am even more confused. And I guess from the responses to my posts no one else has any ideas either. If anyone has any ideas please share them.

Thanks, Carroll

Wolfman

Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:32:32 am

Hi,

one of the first questions you need to answer is this one:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

If the disk was burnt at the wrong speed, there may ne no way to install via a disk!.

Did the seller create his own disk or did he buy a finshed copy direct from the Zorin website and have it posted to him?.

You can do a USB install if you have the ISO:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... StickQuick

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

Unetbootin under Windows:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Pendrive:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu_TCkiYE3o

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

citfta

Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:57:32 am

Hi Wolfman,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know the speed the DVD was burned but it looks like a very professional label. I don't know if he bought them or burned his own. He did tell me he actually used the last one before sending it to me to make sure it worked. It was the Zorin Lite DVD. He used it in live mode to send me the info that he was sending another DVD.

What really has me puzzled is why I can't even look at the files on the DVD. If I try using Windows XP the computer just locks up. If I try using Fedora 17 is just says unknown file type, octet stream. The seller insists he has sold over 30 of the Lite versions and they are working for everyone else. So I don't know what to think. It is not that big of a deal but I am retired from an industrial maintenance job where I fixed very large and complex computer controlled machines. I just want to WHY when something doesn't work.

Carroll

msrmf

Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:28:09 pm

Are you sure your DVD player works 100%? Maybe try to update it's drivers might be the disks he (or Zorin) used are incompatible with current driver.

Swarfendor437

Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:08:36 pm

The only paid for versions you should have to pay for are the Ultimate ones from the Official Zorin links - there should not be a reseller on e-bay - the only Linux resellers of Core GNU/Linux would be somewhere like this:

http://www.shoplinuxonline.com/

citfta

Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:20:03 pm

I only paid $4.95 US to cover his cost of making the DVD. And he shipped it for free. Then when that one didn't work he sent the Lite version for free with no shipping charges. So I am happy with the way I have been treated by him. I am just very curious as to why I can't use or even read the DVDs. I'll look at the site you posted and see what they charge for a DVD of Zorin 7 core.

Thanks for the suggestion.

msrmf

Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41:37 pm

I got my 6.4 core edition from ebay seller today works great, must be a different seller though this clearly originally came from Zorin was shrink wrap sealed had Zorin sticker. The seller could not be more helpful as well.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:22:23 pm

msrmf wrote:I got my 6.4 core edition from ebay seller today works great, must be a different seller though this clearly originally came from Zorin was shrink wrap sealed had Zorin sticker. The seller could not be more helpful as well.

Zorin don't 'shrink wrap' core versions - only the Ultimate/Premium packs! I think AZorin should be PM'd with the operators details!

citfta

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:37:26 pm

Well I got another DVD rom in the mail today and it reads the DVDs just fine and even boots the machine with them without any problems except for having to use safe graphics mode which I kinda expected on this old of a machine. I thought is was the fact the one I just got did not have a region selected but when I checked the one that wouldn't read it did not show a region selected either. So I don't know what the problem is but the used DVD rom I got from Ebay works fine. If I can figure out how I will mark this thread solved. Thanks for all the suggestions and trying to help.

Carroll

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:26:54 pm

If it is a really old machine I would be looking at Zorin Lite instead! :D