This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Cannot Install Zorin 7

geoffh

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44:16 am

Hi. I have a couple of (low-spec) laptops which I wanted to put Zorin 7 onto (this would be the ONLY OS on them).

I boot from this disk (which I have used before). The Menu starts up, offering me the 5 options. Once I select "Start the Installer Directly" the system just sits there - goes no further.

When I retry the disk on a previously built Zorin system the option does go on, allowing me to reinstall (if I wished).

As I mentioned, this is happening on TWO laptops. The only thing I could think of was the low spec but, looking at "minimum requirements", they do appear to be adequate for Zorin (they both currently run on XP).

I downloaded - and tried - Zorin 7 Lite but exactly the same thing happened.

Any ideas?

Regards.

Geoff H.
("okay" on Windows - Novice when it comes to Zorin & Linux)

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:59:41 am

Did you do a full deletion of all that was there before attempting to put Zorin on?

geoffh

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:02:52 pm

No. I was going to select the "Overwrite Everything" Option when prompted.

Wolfman

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:34:23 pm

Hi,

if you are using a disk, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

if you can see the boot menu when starting from the disk; you can try the following, as soon as you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset" (you can also try "acpi=off" if nomodeset doesn't work for you) then press enter and see if it boots, there is also and option to boot in safe mode, you should try that also.

What are your PC's specs and what graphics cards do they have?.

Regards Wolfman :D

geoffh

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:04:55 am

Didn't do the "burn bit" as per the link (although I have used that disk on 5 other, successful, installations)

The laptop configs are:

Dell Latitude D600, 512Mb, 1.4GHz
Mobility Radeon 900 Graphics

and

Toshiba Tecra M2: 512Mb, 1.8GHz
Nvidia Go 5260

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Geoff H.

geoffh

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:06:28 am

BTW, tried the nomodeset AND acpi=off but system still hung up

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:18:27 am

Hi,

you should be okay with the minimum system requirements:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

Have you tried the 32 Bit version even though it may be a 64 Bit PC?. (Zorin Lite is only 32 Bit!)

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:53:56 am

Hi Wolfman, they are both 32-bit rigs. I will have a go this weekend with the first one at my disposal. :D

geoffh

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:20:36 pm

I have the 32-bit version (successfully installed on another 32-bit m/c)

What gets me is the fact that it just sits there when I select the "Install Now" option.... I wondered about memory but (as you indicate) it does suggest that 512Mb is satisfactory

Incidentally, I tried the Lite version - exactly the same symptom (no response)

One thing I didn't mention.... when I hit the TAB key, as you suggested, it did come back with a line allowing me to enter something. However, it just froze when I entered either command you asked me to try.

Is there another command I could type at this stage which MAY give some insight into where the problem lies? (sorry, I don't know Linux)

Also, I can't say I have seen a "Safe Mode" option anywhere on the Zorin installation side.

Many thanks for the help you are offering - it is much appreciated.

Regards.

Geoff H.

Anonymous

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:51:48 pm

Before heading off this morning.
Figured I mention this to you.
All donated computers that we take in for charity.
Get hit with one of these before any new installation.
Seemed to almost always do the job.

Wolfman

Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:44:52 pm

Hi,

there are a couple more commands you can try:

nomodeset (you already tried)

acpi=off (you already tried)

noapic

nolapic

edd=on

nodmraid

If you didn't burn the disk at the slowest possible speed as I pointed out, even though it works on other PC's, it still might not work on the other two!. I suggest a reburn at the slowest possible speed!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:29:04 pm

geoffh wrote:I have the 32-bit version (successfully installed on another 32-bit m/c)

What gets me is the fact that it just sits there when I select the "Install Now" option.... I wondered about memory but (as you indicate) it does suggest that 512Mb is satisfactory

Incidentally, I tried the Lite version - exactly the same symptom (no response)

One thing I didn't mention.... when I hit the TAB key, as you suggested, it did come back with a line allowing me to enter something. However, it just froze when I entered either command you asked me to try.

Is there another command I could type at this stage which MAY give some insight into where the problem lies? (sorry, I don't know Linux)

Also, I can't say I have seen a "Safe Mode" option anywhere on the Zorin installation side.

Many thanks for the help you are offering - it is much appreciated.

Regards.

Geoff H.

Hi geoffh, 'safe mode' might show up as 'advanced mode' then you will see the main zorin kernel, plus the 'recovery' option below that in the subsequent screen - basically, at boot, choose the 2nd menu item. :D

geoffh

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:13:33 pm

I must have the wrong end of the stick/not in same place. When I load the disk the 5 options I get are:

Boot the Live System
Boot in Safe Graphics Mode
Start the Installer Directly
Run the Memtest
Boot from the First Hard Disk

And I select item #3

geoffh

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:14:32 pm

I intend to create a new CD on Saturday an retry

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:46:51 pm

geoffh wrote:I intend to create a new CD on Saturday an retry

I think you would be best using Zorin Lite for your ageing Notebooks - that's what I did on the same model of Dell (but the graphics are nVidia if memory serves me correctly (Zorin Lite 6.0 is the version I installed).

geoffh

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:13:40 am

I burned a "minimum-rate write" disk - of Zorin Lite - exactly the same result.

Maybe the only answer is a trip to the tip!! : ((

Regardless, thanks for all offers of help.

Cheers.

Geoff H.

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:45:09 pm

If you are happy to try something different, try LXLE (Long Term Support version of Lubuntu) on cover of latest LXF. Others to consider are: Puppy Linux, MacPup, Trisquel, Pinguy, BodhiLinux, VectorLinux.

Wolfman

Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:00:56 am

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46:08 am

Here is the link to LXLE if you can't get hold of LXF:

http://lxle.net/

geoffh

Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:57:20 pm

Brilliant, guys - success.

I downloaded & tried Linux Lite - same again, system froze on both laptops.

However, LXLE worked a treat on the pair of them.

I am guessing it has something to do with graphics being the problem (from the comments made so far) but I now have a way forward which DOESN'T involve me going to the tip with a couple of old laptops!!

Once again, many thanks (for your patience as much as your help!!)

Best Regards.

Regards.

Geoff H.

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18:13 pm

Yep, me too - was so impressed with the wallpapers I downloaded the 32-bit and overwrote Zorin Lite 6.1! Took about an hour on this D600:

lxle.jpg

Wolfman

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:19:21 am

geoffh wrote:Brilliant, guys - success.

I downloaded & tried Linux Lite - same again, system froze on both laptops.

However, LXLE worked a treat on the pair of them.

I am guessing it has something to do with graphics being the problem (from the comments made so far) but I now have a way forward which DOESN'T involve me going to the tip with a couple of old laptops!!

Once again, many thanks (for your patience as much as your help!!)

Best Regards.

Regards.

Geoff H.

Hi Geoff,

glad it is sorted even if it isn't Zorin you are running, I tried Linux Lite on an old PC and it was the only one of the various lite versions that worked, I had never heard of LXLE until now.

Will mark as solved.

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:01:19 pm

Hi Wolfman, I hadn't heard of it until I saw it on the cover of LXF! :D What impresses me about this one is it is a long-term release based on Ubuntu 12.04.3 (although actually it is Lubuntu!) :D

geoffh

Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:27:50 am

Thanks again - the two laptops now working happily in front of their owners!!