This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sandisk extreme or internal hdd install?

kadafi

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:56:44 pm

Hi guys

I'm thinking of going full install and I'm not sure where to install the OS for maximum performance.

Would the OS be faster if I used an USB 3.0 Sandisk Extreme 64gb usb stick with read and write speed around 200mbps or is it better to install it on the internal hdd sata. I don't know the read/write speeds. It's a 640GB WD 2.5".

Thanks a lot. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:52:18 pm

Well that depends ....

1. Are you intending to have 'Persistence' on the USB Sandisk drive (to store data) - bearing in mind the life expectancy of a 'stick/SD Card won't be anywhere near as long as an SSD

2. SSD's as I understand from what I have picked up on other forums is that you put your OS on their and programs/Data on a 'standard Drive' - which would mean putting '/' on the SSD and '/home' on a separate drive?
I am not really qualified on how to format SSD's these days as technology has moved on a pace and I am still happy with SATA Drives - especially when it comes to cost! ;)

kadafi

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:59:30 am

Thanks for your reply :-)

Yes I'm going for persistence on the Sandisk. The life expectancy isn't that much of an issue, I'm thinking it will at least last a year?

I'm not sure I understand your second point. I'm not gonna use SSD or are you referring to the Sandisk?
My internal HDD is a normal 2.5" connected with AHCI/SATA (I think it's called).

madvinegar

Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24:25 am

Are you going to create a live usb with persistent space or are you going to fully and properly install the OS on the usb drive?

Auldyin

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:47:18 pm

Hi kadafi

I tried something similar last year but with USB2 read my conclusions here ---- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3561#p16829

If I was lucky enough to have USB3 and a 64GB stick I would try it with a 12GB root partition and the rest as the home partition and I would try a few swappiness tweaks read here ---- https://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtr ... swappiness and here ----- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq .

I think a HDD installation will still probably be faster but you might get a usable system.

The only guarantee you get with linux is a good argument but it's fun to try and to learn.
Please keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers Auldyin

:D :D :D :D :D :D