This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Install on hard drive -Video artifacts Freezing

ElectricRider

Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:14:06 am

Hi again. Major problems. Please help if you can.

This time I choose zorin-os-6.4-core-64 and installed it on my hard drive in a 20 gig partition. The install went fine except my wifi would never connect even though the password is correct. I'd close this and tell it NOT to connect to the internet. However, during the rest of the install, the networking app kept opening by itself to re-try the connection. I'd keep closing it.

On starting the OS for the first time, I had a 4 way split desktop that was jumbled.. ( hard to explain, the icons were in the bottom right pane ( there should not have been any 4 way split of 4 panes - this 4 pane thing never goes away)

At this time the Networking app kept popping up telling me it could not access the network again, even though I KNOW the PW was correct.

I could Not close this. On trying to use my mouse (which worked) the screen would flicker and have really bad artifacts like as happens in a video game when your video card cannot handle it. Next I saw a window popup saying something about Compiz Fusion crashing and it needs to close. I assume it closed but I don't know.. I could hit the close or cancel button but the window never went away.. it remained superimposed on top of the networking connections app window..

Next (yes it gets worse) I saw a window popup saying something about sending my info from the display logs to the developers to help fix the bug - ( apparently it found a bug) Of course my network connection isn't working so thats no good.. trying to close this yet 3rd window superimposed in the same area as the other two, does no good.

Nothing I could do did any good. I could not close any of these windows, nor could I navigate to anywhere to try to fix the problem from within Zorin. All I could do is hard boot back into Windows.

Any ideas? Oh.. I have restarted several times with exactly the same horrible results.

my specs ( which should be way overkill for Zorin)
System Manufacturer/Model Number HP Pavillion G7-2251dx
OS Windows 8 64 bit
CPU AMD A-8 4500M ( it's a APU not a CPU - I mention this because I don't know if Zorin needs special drivers for this )
Memory 8 Gigabytes DDR3 sdram
Graphics Card Discrete ATI Radeon HD 7640G with 2 Gigs additional video memory
Sound Card IDT Audio
Monitor(s) Displays 17.3
Screen Resolution 1600x900
Hard Drives 500 gig.

BTW.. I think the stupidest thing Zorin devs have done is allow the Compiz Fusion to run at start up.. It's eye candy people, not critical to the operation of the OS. It seems this is in part where my problems are coming from because Compiz Fusion had to crash. I might have avoided these problems if Compiz Fusion was not running but I can't tell that because it will always run at start up. Seems to me if the devs were wise, they would leave these toys to start only at the discretion of the user. That way you KNOW this eye candy app isn't getting in the way of the system booting up properly. yeah devs.. that was a Dumb move on your part. Hopefully, you guys will not do that in future releases.. heck.. I;m still waiting to get a copy of Zorin 7 working if i can ever get version 6 up.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:03:44 am

Hi,

start in recovery mode and run "DPKG" per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK!.

Did you use a disk to install and did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

ElectricRider

Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:42:00 pm

I didn't burn it slowly, I loaded it from USB. I'll try again. Thanks.

ElectricRider

Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:32:39 pm

O.k... I burned a dvd at 2x speed. Installed. Zorin acted the same exact way as above. I ran DPKG from the recovery mode and allowed it to download all it wanted till the point it said it was going to take 2 days and 15 hours to update Thunderbird. I assume that server is having problems because all others downloaded at normal speeds. ( cept the gimp server, it wouldn't connect to it at all.)

Needless to say I had to escape out of the process and reboot because I cant tie up my pc for 2 days for Thunderbird. What should I do now?

ElectricRider

Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:13:58 am

LOL.. Hey.. ya know what..

Since that wasn't going to be easy to fix i installed 7.1 over it.. it installed nice.. and oh man it looks Sweet! Love the new Z logo, the installer was sharp, the desktop looks great.. Hey.. i can right click to put a folder on the desktop. Thanks. LOL..

Now i'm going to poke around and see if there is anything I need like proprietary drivers for my AMD APU.. ya know I'm worried about linux community drivers not being up to snuff and i'd rather use the driver right from AMD if I could. I believe this is the one.. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/d ... x%20x86_64 - What do you think? Can I be assured such is already installed, do I need this.. if not.. why? and lastly if I need it how do i install it?

Thanks?

Wolfman

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:34:13 am

Hi,

glad to hear its working!. :D

You should be able to load the ATI (AMD) drivers via: Synaptic > Settings > Repositories > Additional Drivers The driver link you pasted is 32Bit only I think, do you have a 64 Bit oS??.

If you ever have problems wiith updating, try changing the download location of your software sources, see guide for info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Have marked as solved.

Regards Wolfman :D