This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation issues

n3on

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:53:00 pm

Hi, I had quite a bit of trouble installing Zorin on my computer.

The installer would crash when it attempted to create a user. I first though I had a bad media, then I tired another download, but the MD5sums matched. So I tired x64 instead of 32 bit. But the same issue remained that the installer would crash when it got to creating the user.

I am not 100% sure, as I have to test one more possible cause later today, but I believe the problem was my password. It started with a symbol. I used a different password and it installed perfectly.

It is not mentioned that cretin characters should not be used at the beginning of your password. One does not think about it while typing a password, however this makes a lot of sense. If a password starts with "-"or "/" it would signal a different argument in the command line causing an error on user creation. ( I was using "<" for the first character) I wanted to post this somewhere to hopefully save someone a lot of troubleshooting at a later time.

n3on

Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:02:35 am

My first thoughts where incorrect. The issue seems to lie with the "encrypt my home folder" option. Would someone else please test this in a VM to see if they get the same result?

Wolfman

Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:14:29 pm

When installing, don't choose "encrypt home folder", it is buggy!!!!.

Regards Wolfman.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:09:49 am

swarfendor437 wrote:I would never use 'Encrypt files' on any OS - if your system goes down - so does your encryption.

Good point mate :D :D :D :D

Regards Wolfman :D

Aliceinchains

Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:23:22 pm

I am having that same exact issue...

I tried installation from Live CD using "encryption" and if crashes at creating user. Same thing while using Direct Setup from the Boot Menu.

I also install my distro to a different hard drive on my system separate from Windows 7 and even though I haven't been successful with this installation yet, I hope it will still provide me with the menu to choose between the OS's I have installed. Linux Mint did not do that. I have to manually press F12 during boot to select the HDD (with Linux Mint installed) on it to boot up Linux Mint. Otherwise you'd never know I had Linux installed. Sort of a secret so to speak, bcoz that HDD does not show up in Windows. Although this seems like excellent security if you wanted it.

I will definitely give this a try again tonight when I get home without "encryption" this time and see if I can make it all the way through the installation. If anyone has any installation tips or recommendations please feel free to give me some advice as I am a Linux Novice.

I also had one other concern, not sure if anyone else has had this problem but as soon as I get into Live CD Environment I immediately get this error.. GnoMenu.py has encountered an error and crashed. Now the GnoMenu was an interesting feature that drew me to this Distro and if it's not going to work then that will be the end of this distro for me unless it gets fixed. Any ideas why this may be happening. It also keeps popping up repeatedly like it keeps trying to reload but crashes again and again and again.

I run a Intel Dual Core 64bit System
Gigabyte Mobo - GA-EP45-UD3P
4GB RAM (DDR2 - Dual Channel)
9800 GTX Nvidia Graphics Card

I'm also going to try and get Rift to play on this distro if I can. Any tips on what drivers to use with Nvidia cards and what about DirectX? Do I need it or will the game play under another video mode such as OPEN GL..??

Thanks =)

Tom_F

Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:05:43 am

Yes I Had a this [roblem with install as well Installer Crashed made it through copying files & Etc But got stuck During config
I Unchecked the Encrypt Home & it Installed Just fine ,,, also i did send the Log files to launchpad.net & included the var/log/syslog and
var/log/partman files as needed ,,, I do still have these files saved on usb stick if needed for research & etc ?