This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

UEFI Install Needed

z8xt

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:17:08 pm

Hi,

Is there any news on when UEFI/EFI support will be added to Zorin OS? I've tried USB boot and Live CD, the problem is the laptop must stay UEFI do to the way Windows 8 was installed from the factory.

Tried making bootable USB with unetbootin from the Zorin OS 7.1 iso and noticed that the EFI folder is not there as it is in Ubuntu.

Thank You to the Zorin OS team for awesome work!

Wolfman

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:18:27 am

Hi,

use the 64 Bit version of Zorin and follow the advice on this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5434

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

z8xt

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:59:48 am

Hi Wolfman,

I think I tried just about everything trying to install Zorin. I have Zorin Ultimate x64 now and installed it with the BIOS set to CSM so now Zorin is the only OS on the computer. The computer is a Toshiba

Here's some other things I tried.
Installed Windows 8 with the bios set to CSM, you can do this by making a recovery drive in Windows 8 and select to copy the restore partition to the USB drive, if you try to restore the computer to factory using the recovery partition on the hard drive the system will just make the system UEFI again so if you want a CSM partitioned system you must restore it by booting from the USB drive and restore from there. Even though I was able to get Windows 8 installed it would not boot in CSM boot mode, so I installed Zorin on top of a non booting Windows install thinking I could boot into Zorin and fix the boot loader, well that didn't work either.

The Linux partitioning was this
20mb (bios reserved) partition
/boot (300mb)
/swap (3000mb)
/ (about 100GB)

Thank you for your help I ran across the articles you listed while trying to install Zorin, I like running Zorin OS's version of PlayOnLinux because it seems to be optimized correctly and can run a few programs I need for work, but so far I found the equivalent programs in Linux and haven't had to open those Windows programs.

Thanks Again

Wolfman

Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:32:15 am

Hi,

ideally you should have 3 partitions, root, swap and home, see this partitioning guide which may help you further:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

I don't have a UEFI PC myself so it is a bit hard for me to tell you what to do!.

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D