This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS Newbie

SPJ29

Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:17:32 pm

I am very new to Zorin OS and was trying to run live dvd or even install on a Sony Vaio Laptop, Pentium 4 2.0Ghz 384mb ram but when I press enter on either the Live boot or install directly I eventually get a white screen with a large Zorin Logo flashing in the middle I left the live boot for over 15 minutes but no change. How long should it take to boot live cd and how long to install.

Wolfman

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:42:56 pm

Hi,

when you see the Zorin menu, press the "TAB" key and then type "nomodeset" or "acpi=off" then press enter and see if you can boot using either of those commands!.

Let us know if it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

SPJ29

Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:52:06 pm

I tried that and I don't even get as far as the logo. The screen just goes grey then blank and thats it.

After about 15mins after clicking on install to hdd the zorin logo is there with a message saying trying to configure network settings but this message stays for a further 30mins.

This may be normal and it may take a couple of hours to install, I don't know.

I hope someone can help as I think zorin os is the perfect replacement for windows.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:49:27 am

Hi,

did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Let us know.

SPJ29

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:03:09 pm

Yes I burned disc at slowest speed.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:34:48 pm

I think because you have only 384 Mb of RAM you may be struggling - I would advise Zorin Lite in this instance. :D

SPJ29

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:36:38 pm

Zorin Lite does not even boot the live cd and wont install to hdd either I am using Firefox to download and the slowest I can write is 6X

Wolfman

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:52:34 pm

Hi,

can you create a USB installer?:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

See also:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Important, please read this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6266

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:32:54 pm

Bearing in mind you only have 384 Mb RAM, plus the fact you have issues with Lite, I would give one of the following a try: Trisquel, Qelitu (Softpedia), or LXLE (the latter is based on Lubuntu)