This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Install Partition Problem

ne014x

Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:14:38 am

While installing zorin I had a power failure, however it had just created a dev/sada1 & sada5 partitions you see below. I installed again in some other free space on the drive but have not been able to remove the partitions created during the first bad install. They either report mounted or busy in gparted, and windows says that it does not have enough disk space to remove them.

Image[/URL]

These partitions were created during the bad install and I would like to remove them
dev/sada1
/unallocated/
dev/sada5/

These are the good paritions:
dev/sada2 = Win 7 Install
dev/sada3 = Documents Part for Windows
dev/sada4 = Zorin Good Install

How would I remove the sada1 partition to reclaim the unallocated space & is it safe to remove sada5 and how would I do that as well.

Wolfman

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:37:11 am

Hi,

normally Windows should be at the beginning of the drive so you may well have to redo Windows completely first and then install Linux, dev/sda is normally where the bootloader would go and you should have all non Windows partitions to the right of the layout!.

Take a look at the partition guide which may help you, if it won't install anything on that first partition, you may have to wipe everything and reinstall ALL OS's?.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Regards Wolfman :D

ne014x

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:55:33 am

I've been dual-booting for so long that the HDD is a mess, for now all I need is to be able to unmount dev/sada1 so I can reclaim that space but neither OS will allow it. Zorin installed fine on dev/sada4

Pierre

Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:17:09 pm

who was the drive manufacturer?.
- go to their web site & D/L their hdd format utility.
- use that to format the whole hdd
- re-install win_7 & then zorin ..

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03:57 am

Pierre wrote:who was the drive manufacturer?.
- go to their web site & D/L their hdd format utility.
- use that to format the whole hdd
- re-install win_7 & then zorin ..

I'd go with that too! :D