This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] can't install zorin!

muskieslime

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16:54 am

I have been trying to install zorin for days now. I have tried 3 different discs and a couple different builds, 6.3 and 6.4. They get to about half way through the "copying files" and the video and the installer crashes in near the same place every time. first it told me may be a problem with the install media so I burned a new DVD, then the same thing without the message about media. It seems to fail when the backup icon appears in the task bar during the install. It runs very well from live DVD and I would really like to give it a good try with a full install . I have a Dell Dimesion 4600, 2.66ghz, 1.5 ram, clean 40 G hd. Any tricks or tips will be welcome and don't be afraid to treat me like a linux newbie cause thats what I AM!

madvinegar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36:56 pm

When you load the live CD/USB you get to a list of options where you are asked if you want to load the Live desktop, or install directly etc.
Choose direct install (without logging in the live environment). This will prevent the problem of the back-up utility (or any utility) that pops up and may cause a problem.

Also, make sure that you have burned the CD at the lowest possible speed.

Finally, are you sure your HDD is healthy? You can check that if you load the live envirnoment of Zorin, and you go to "disk utility". Select your 40GB HDD from the screen on the left and see if you get any error messages about the health status of your HDD.

muskieslime

Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:33:31 pm

OK, either way install from desktop or go direct to installer both have the same results. I did burn at the lowest speed. disk utility said disk is healthy. I tried again and once again it crashed at the " software center" section of the slide show. a few times it went passed that point but it seems to start failing there

madvinegar

Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:41:49 pm

When you do the install, do you have internet connection and you select to download all extra software, updates etc?

If yes, try to install zorin without the network being enabled. You can install the extra software and updates later.

muskieslime

Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:51:37 pm

I never get to the point where it wants to download anything. it always crashes during the slideshow around the window that tells about software center or within a couple windows of it. I have different discs and they all crash near the same place. Is it possible that downloading/burning from live dvd could be messing with something? I also tried to dump/flash a tablet from live dvd and downloaded all the needed files for it and it also failed. my downloads and burns seem to fail often. is there a way to confirm the disc is good from live dvd ? I did find a small scratch on the first disc I figured could be causing problems so I burned another and it crashes without the message about disc may be bad but in near the same place

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:20:08 pm

OK first off are you using Firefox to download? Also be sure to add the extension 'DownThemAll'. After download (and guess to windows) check the integrity of the download by running Winmd5free from www.winmd5.com - video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

muskieslime

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:01:53 pm

yes I used firefox to download iso. if you are talking about "download them all"updates. I never get that far. I have no working windows machine right now. M$ has crashed my PC and my laptop accusing me of pirated copies when both machines have OEM copies on them with keys that match the stickers on their sides, and this is the third time they did this too me. Thats why I need so badly to dump them once and for all. My laptop is down and I'm trying to use this machine from live dvd to get zorin installed on this machine. I do have another machine running slacko puppy from live cd but it has no DVD drive and refuses to see my external dvd burner. Is there a place I can order a DVD that I can count on being good? I haven't seem any 6.3 or 6.4 dvds only 7's and I was wanting one based on ubuntu 12.04 so I can work on my tablet, the instructions for it specify useing 12.04

madvinegar

Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:46:32 pm

I mean do not tick the two boxes that say "install 3rd party software" etc when you start the installation wizard.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:00:02 pm

Hi ogborne,

OK, if you downloaded into GNU/Linux distro then open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
CD /Downloads

Code:
md5sum *Zorin 7.1_x64.iso*

* * - EXACTLY whatever the name of the iso is that you download - it will take about 10 to 20 seconds to check before returning the checksum. Then compare this to the one given by Zorin.

With regards to 'Down Them All' this is not an update but a download manager that ensures complete downloads - my only other comment is NOT to use ibiblio.org as if connection is lost you cannot resume the initial download whatsoever! ;)

muskieslime

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:52:55 pm

OK, I guess we can mark this one solved! also mark it down to me being a newbie to linux. As I read thru this forum I kept seeing "burn slow, burn slow". I dont remember how slow I burned the first disk but I know it was slowest available but when I burned #2 I checked 2x which is the slowest but as I watched it went almost to 5x at times. as I said before the burn direct to disk wasnt highlightable, I had opened burning from right clicking the iso an selecting write to disk. as I remembered that I thought there has to be a way to check that box so I browsed around . I opened the disk manager and clicked on my DVD RW drive, I saw an option to open burning app and clicked it. I came to a window I never saw before that gave me more control over the burn. The Direct to disk was already checked and I once again checked 2x speed this time I never saw it go over 1x, and no warnings or errors. put it in rebooted and selected go direct to install and everything installed exept the updates, I hope that is easier to figure out but I have it booting from HD and that is a major win for me. thanks for the help!!!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:21:43 am

Glad to be of help! Will mark as [SOLVED]! :D

justafinnishuser

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27:31 pm

i had a problem when i was trying to install Zorin with finnish language package. The error occured when installer tried to install the language package. Everyting worked just fine when i istalled Zorin in english. Same thing happened on my laptop too. I hope that someone looks up why these errors occure. I couldn't send the error -thingy because it said that i didn't have the official version of Zorin, even though i downloaded it today from here http://zorin-os.com/free8.html.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:51:37 pm

justafinnishuser wrote:i had a problem when i was trying to install Zorin with finnish language package. The error occured when installer tried to install the language package. Everyting worked just fine when i istalled Zorin in english. Same thing happened on my laptop too. I hope that someone looks up why these errors occure. I couldn't send the error -thingy because it said that i didn't have the official version of Zorin, even though i downloaded it today from here http://zorin-os.com/free8.html.

Hi, I think the reason why you can't submit a report is that it is based on Ubuntu - the core package of Zorin is based on Ubuntu with some tweaks, that is why it will not report. Did you try updating the Locales as well as just the language? ( Menu | System Tools | System Settings | Region and Language ) after you have installed the Finnish Pack:

Screenshot Finnish.jpg

Wolfman

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:11:02 am

justafinnishuser wrote:i had a problem when i was trying to install Zorin with finnish language package. The error occured when installer tried to install the language package. Everyting worked just fine when i istalled Zorin in english. Same thing happened on my laptop too. I hope that someone looks up why these errors occure. I couldn't send the error -thingy because it said that i didn't have the official version of Zorin, even though i downloaded it today from here http://zorin-os.com/free8.html.

Hi,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699

Regards Wolfman :D