This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Can't get Zorin to install

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:49:11 am

I'm having a problem installing. I've had a quick look at earlier posts and stickies, but can't find anything that seems to address my problem.

I think I successfully downloaded the file. What I have in my downloads folder is zorin-os-6-core-32. (I do have a 32 not 64 comp. It is running on Windows XP at present, but I want to change to Zorin)

The problem is in burning a usable boot disk. First I tried my usual burner; Ashampoo Burning Studio. It comes up with "Recording DVD failed. A 'medium error' occurred." I thought that indicated it probably can't read that type of file, so I downloaded ImgBurn.

First I tried at speed 2. After it completed I received a message "Session 1 track is smaller on the disk than it is in the image file you're comparing it to. Would you like to continue anyway?" I selected 'No' and got the lady saying "Oh no!" (She cracks me up... sounds so concerned for me.)

Second attempt I upped the speed a bit to 4. I got a message saying "Total errors in sector 1306". Continuing I got the same message four more times with errors being 30, 964, 7 and 51 in that order. Then "Automatically ignore miscompares?". I opted for yes. It then ran to completion.

Despite the above reports, I tried to boot from the disc three times. I tried using "Boot the live system", "Boot live in safe graphics mode" and "Start the installer directly". All produced the same result... Starting with "BusyBox V1.18.5" and containing a help link and under that "(Cinitramfs) Unable to find a medium containing a live file system." I also tried the help link, but what it displayed was totally incomprehensible to me.

I am wondering if the initial download failed and maybe I should start over and download again, but thought I'd better give details of what happened first. Any suggestions please?

Bill in Oz

Anonymous

Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:41:52 am

bilnrobn > If you haven't done so... I would use Firefox along with [ Down-Load-Them-All ] addon.
Screenshot below tells you the whole story.
You could try that route until someone else gets to ya.
Hasn't failed me to date.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:08:09 pm

bilnrobn

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:13:37 am

Thanks Swarfendor.In reading though that sticky I have a few questions:
Step 1. In looking at the index of mirrors, which should I use? The download I have been using for Zorin is zorin-os-6-core-32. I have a 32 bit system. (I'm not even sure if that is the best download to use. A comment on that would be appreciated.)
Step 2. According to the video title this seems to refer to systems with Windows 7. I have XP.
Step 3. No problem. I have been using imgburn at speed 2 .
Step 4. I currently I have Windows XP and initially don't want to lose that. Once I am comfortable with Zorin it won't be an issue, but until then I don't want to burn my bridges as I don't have an XP disc. Do I need the information in that video? It says "if you have XP and 7", (not XP or 7), and I don't have 7. If I did opt for just Zorin would a System Restore return me to Windows XP? I want a safety net.

bilnrobn

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02:34 am

I think I may have found my problem. I'd forgotten this computer only has a CD drive, not a DVD drive, and I've been trying to use a DVD. I have another computer with a DVD drive but I don't see that being any help as I am assuming I couldn't do a boot on my XP machine from a DVD even if I had downloaded successfully.

I have some blank CDs but they are of far too low capacity to take the 1.3 gig file.

How can I get around this? To my knowledge CDs are only available up to 700mb. Would 7zipping the file to CD, (if it would zip that small),copying it to the hard drive, opening it, starting in safe mode and directing the computer to boot from that work? (As you've probably guessed I'm out of my depth on this.)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:15:16 pm

I think the only viable alternative would be if you have a Thumb drive and format it with Unetbootin. (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) or do you have any friends who have an external DVD/CD Writer?
You should also follow Gizmuntu's advice of using Firefox with Down-Them-All add-on - it is superb. Avoid ibiblio.org wherever possible! :D

bilnrobn

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:22:36 am

Well, I've done all that Swarfender, using a spare thumb drive I had. I've downloaded and installed UNetbootin and then installed the previously downloaded Zorin-os-6.4-core-585 file using DownThemAll! and it seemed to work... no nasty error messages. I then clicked to reboot the computer, but it just opened up in Windows again. The thumb drive did flash for a short time well into the reboot, but Windows already seemed to be well into booting and I think it was just verifying the thumb drive in 'E' port.

Am I missing something? I expected it to reboot into Zorin. Maybe I have missed a step?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:38:31 pm

Hi, Is your intention to dual-boot? If so take a look at the install instructions I wrote here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

Did you change your boot order so that the unetbootin stick booted first? You need to go into your BIOS settings to do this - by default this is usually set to your Hard Disk - you need to change it to 'external device' as first option - look for the tab labelled 'Boot' if you have a proprietary desktop (HP, Dell etc) there shouldbe a key to press at boot time without the need to go into BIOS as a 'one-off' change to the boot order - for HP it is the Escape Key (Esc - top left), for Dell it is F12. If it is something else you will need to check with your manual.

madvinegar

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:48:37 pm

There is solution even if your laptop does not have a BIOS option to boot from USB (but does boot from CD).
See my post/guide here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2113&p=8485&hilit=plop#p8485

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59:01 pm

Thanks for the input madvinegar! :D

bilnrobn

Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:09:52 am

Thanks guys. I hope you will take me through this slowly.

I wasn't able to follow your option swarfender as when I booted into the BIOS, then "Advances BIOS Features", "Boot Sequence" and then "Boot other Devices" followed by "Save" it attempted to find a device and then reverted to booting into Windows XP as usual. I am not sure if there is a problem with the thumb drive content or if it didn't look there. This sounds the simpler of the two options if I can get it to work.

madvinegar, I've read your sticky post and downloaded Plop and copied it to a CD. This doesn't seem to work, but I think I've misunderstood something . What I have on the CD is a folder called plpbt6-5.0.14 and inside that folders called Doc, experimental, install, Linux, pcmcia and Windows. Also two plpbt bin files and two image files.

Getting Zorin up and running is proving more difficult than I expected. I'll keep hanging in there though, if you can help me sort it.

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:55:19 am

As regards my post, you don't just copy the the Plop bootmanager file into the CD. You have to burn the image into the CD like you would do with an ISO (so as to make the CD bootable).

When you unzip/open the Plop bootmanager file you will see that there are some ISOs inside. (they might have .bin or .img extension).
When you use a program like brasero, or k3b (or image burn for windows), this iso will be recognized.

bilnrobn

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32:10 pm

Right, got that, but which ISO(s) do I create the mirror image of? Within the plpbt-5.0.14 download are six folders. One is just a Docs folder, but the others all have BIN and/or IMG files within them. There is a 'Linux' folder, also 'Windows', 'pcmcia', 'Experimental' and 'Install' folders. In most of them, and also outside of these folders are BIN and IMG files with the titles plpbt and plpbtrom. The Experimental and the pcmcia folders have nested folders also with BIN and IMG files within them. Which file or files do I use to create the mirror on the CD. (I have unetbootin which I assume will do the job.)

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:54:48 pm

You burn the file named "plpbt.iso". (The size of this file is 544kb).

If you are using windows I suggest to use image burn (if unebootin will not work). It's free, easy and reliable.
http://www.imgburn.com/

bilnrobn

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23:50 pm

Inside and outside the folders nested inside plpbt-5.0.14 I have found nine plpbt files. five are .bin files and four .img files. There are no files at all with an iso extension, plpbt or others. (Probably of no help, but inside the Windows folder are several .exe files. they don't appear anywhere else)

EDIT: I have found three files that are 544kb. Outside any of the folders is plpbt.img. Also there is a plpbt.img inside the pcmcia folder. In the Install folder is a plptin.img file.

madvinegar

Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:37:46 pm

I attach a screenshot.

bilnrobn

Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:45:58 am

Yes I have that file but my 'Properties' say it is an image file. No mention of ISO.

Frankly I'm getting pretty confused. I admit my initial problem was the lack of a DVD drive. My other two computers each have one, but they don't have XP. It is this one I wanted to change. So far I've downloaded zorin-os-6.4-core-585, DownThemAll!, unetbootin and now plop. I've changed my BIOS to make a UBS my first choice boot source, but it still doesn't boot from the USB; it goes to the c: drive.

You have now pointed me at the Plop file for the mirror on a CD and I have tried to use unetbootin but can't work that out now either.

I think I better forget the whole thing and keep going with XP until April and then think of my options.

Sorry to take so much of your time for no result, but I had no idea just installing a Linux system would be so difficult.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:37:20 am

Please try with imgburn !

bilnrobn

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:31:29 am

OK, thanks for hanging in there.. I think I'll start over from scratch.

I've got imgburn installed and on my desktop. I also have the FF Add-on DownThemAll! 2.0.16 installed.
In the download folder I have unetbootin-windows-585, also plpbt-5.0.14. If I need to use that I know which file I need to burn to a cd. In the BIOS I have USB as the first boot choice. (It didn't work before, but I think the fault was how I set up the CD.)

I have just downloaded zorin-os-6-core-32 again and it is in my download folder.

As I can't burn the Zorin image to DVD can you please give me briefly the alternative steps I should take? I have an empty thumb drive with plenty of capacity and an empty CD if that is needed. I think the downloads listed at the top of this post contain the ones necessary. I understand there are two possible paths; the direct one if I can get the mirror onto the thumb drive and run it, or Plop via the appropriate file image in plpbt burnt onto the CD.

Fingers crossed.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:53:29 am

Step 1. Download from here the Universal USB Installer: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/
Step 2. Format your USB thump drive in FAT32.
Step 3. Open Universal USB installer, select zorin from the distribution list, browse and select the Zorin iso you downloaded, select the usb flash drive letter, tick the box that says to format the drive again, and click "create".
Step 4. Once the installation of the iso is finished, reboot.
Step 5. From the BIOS select to boot from USB.

bilnrobn

Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:52:41 am

Well it worked like clockwork right to the reboot. Your instructions were clear and easy to follow. When I got to reboot I hit "Delete" to get to the BIOS. I navigated to the boot order and my previous order to first look at the USB E drive was still active, so I continued. The thumb drive flashed a lot... and then it opened in Windows XP!

Looking at the contents of the thumb drive I am wondering if it is correct. The contents are 1.39 gigs which sounds right. Attached is a screen shot of what is there.

Can you see a problem in the attachment or anything I may have done? It all looked so promising through the process.

madvinegar

Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:00:02 am

The contents of the USB seem ok.
I believe that the problem comes down to your boot options.
Just to be sure, you can use the plop boot manager CD, and then boot from the USB.

As advised earlier,
Step1. Download the plop boot manager zip file and unzip it.
Step2. Download the ImgBurn and install it.
Step3. Using imgburn, burn the plpbt.iso into a blank CD.
Step4. Go to your BIOS options and set it to boot from CD.
Step5. Insert the Plop Bootmanager CD you created and boot.
Step6. You will get to a screen with a list of boot options. Plug the Zorin live USB you created earlier and choose "USB" boot option from the list and hit <enter>.

bilnrobn

Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:09:51 am

All that worked thanks madvinigar. I've actually got it to boot into Zorin.

However the screen keeps flashing every time I click on anything and also the little cross on the top right of pages opened won't make them disappear, or if they do they reappear soon afterwards. So I'm not getting to make use of it yet. I'll have to find instructions on getting it going.

Is there a way to incorporate the information I have in XP into Zorin? I can't find a way to access the internet as my existing set-up isn't there. Also I can't get into the shared area I have for files available to other computers in our house, and getting things like my AV and other resident programs on the computer up and working. The flashing screen is off-putting. Click on anything and the whole screen flashes repeatedly for several seconds.

Wolfman

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:50:02 am

Hi,

do you have an Nvidia graphics card?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2490

Check out the update guide too:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

Regards Wolfman :D

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:36:10 am

Not sure about card.Does the attachment help?

I tried those links and the one suggesting booting into Recovery Mode sounded promising, but the alternatives I got didn't have a Recovery Mode, only Boot Live System, Boot to Safe Graphics, Installer Directory and Memtest. In any case, I couldn't get it to move off the live system one, (I tried the Tab key).

Anyway, finally, when in 'Live System', I finally managed to get an unblinking blue screen for a short time with some icons down the left side. I selected 'Install Zorin OS' and as I no way want to destroy my XP just yet I selected 'Other'. (Am I supposed to do this step? I assumed it was already installed. It is just one of a number of desktop icons with nothing indicating it must be used after downloading.)

At 'Installation Type' I left it on /dev/sda. (There was a second choice available /dev/sda1 Microsoft Windows XP Home edition, but I was afraid to select that.) Selecting /dev/sda resulted in an error message, 'No root file system is defined. Please connect from partition menu'.

Below were buttons for New partition table, Add, Change, Delete and Revert. At this point I was lost and opted to abort and this took me back to the flashing screen, the blue diagonal patterned screen alternating rapidly with a black one. I finally managed to click on shutdown in the middle of all this flashing and reboot into XP.

Here is the attachment.

madvinegar

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00:04 am

To get info about your card, next time you boot into the live environment of Zorin, open terminal (ctrl+alt+T) and post back here the result of the following command:

lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

Wolfman

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:00:58 am

Hi,

sorry I misread your posts, I thought you had it installed!.

Boot the Live CD and when you see the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type "nomodeset acpi=off" and then press enter and see if it boots without the flashing screen.

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:20:15 am

madvinegar:
I typed the characters in after ctrl+alt+t and got a page of text. I can't get at my screenshot facility in Zorim so can't send you a pic, but it began 'Resolving of device ID's to names'

Under that were the following headings with what seem to be a list of alternatives under each, they having a one or two character key on the left.
These headings were....
Selection of device:
Other Options:
PCI access options:

Is that what you expect and if so what should I do with it?.

Wolfman:
I followed your instruction. It seemed to be doing something behind a blank screen for a time, and when it finally brought up the blue Zorin screen it sat there and didn't flash. After a shortish time the screen went black with just the Zorin bar across the bottom. No icons on screen. I waited a while and when nothing further happened I clicked the Zorin button at the bottom left and all the previous problems were back... flashing blue to black screen, unable to get rid of opened windows, they would disappear and when I clicked on a desktop icon, like the Zorin Install icon, they would be back. Finally had to shut down by turning off the computer at the wall.

I really want to get Zorin going, but seem to be getting nowhere. To get to this point has already taken a week, working at it every day. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? If so it isn't visible to me yet.

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:43:03 am

Ooopps! Madvinegar, I've just realised in typing that lspci -nnk | iA3 VGA in I typed an l (lower case L) instead of a | . I've just done it again correctly and got a message, "No command 'iA3' found. Did you mean 'id3'?".

That character before it is a shifted \ isn't it?

Wolfman

Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:56:20 am

Hi,

under no cirmcumstances should you turn off your PC "at the wall", you will ruin your hard drive in a matter of a few days if you do, to turn off your PC safely when you are having a problem, press and hold in the power switch until the PC shuts down, this is known as "Soft Power Off".

It is quite possible that your hard disk is damaged due to you simply turning off the power at the wall and is no longer useable in the real sense!.

What version of Zorin are you trying to install?, if it is an older PC, either try Zorin 6 LTS or Zorin Lite!.

madvinegar

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:38:17 am

bilnrobn wrote:Ooopps! Madvinegar, I've just realised in typing that lspci -nnk | iA3 VGA in I typed an l (lower case L) instead of a | . I've just done it again correctly and got a message, "No command 'iA3' found. Did you mean 'id3'?".

That character before it is a shifted \ isn't it?

The command is -iA3 not iA3. You missed a "-".

Code:
lspci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:51:29 pm

Sorry, my mistake. Also I seem to have got the first character wrong too. Your post on page 3 seems to be in Calibri and I took the number one in 1spci -nnk | grep -iA3 VGA to be a lower case L.

I'll try again.

bilnrobn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27:31 am

Right, done that. Turns out it was a lower case 'L' after all; it wouldn't accept 1. Here is the result...

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9] [1106:3230] (rev 11)

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7253]

Kernel modules: viafb

04:01.0 Audio device [0403]: Via Technologies, Inc. VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller [1106:3288] (rev 10)

Wolfman

Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:57:53 am

Hi Bill,

did you reburn the disk at the slowest possibler speed and have you tried a USB install?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... omUSBStick

bilnrobn

Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:03:46 am

See earlier posts, but to recap....

Yes I burnt at speed 2 this to a thumb drive as I only have a CD drive, not DVD and of course a CD does not have sufficient capacity.

With the boot order set to USB it won't work, though it tries there first. Madvinigar has confirmed the burn to thumb drive looks OK.

I then burnt Plop onto a CD and using that and the thumb drive with boot order starting with the CD it boots into Zorin, but with all the problems mentioned further back in the thread.

If I can get it to run satisfactory I will need, I think, to reduce the size of the partition on my hard drive so I can create a second partition for Zorin. (Currently I am only using about 20% of the disk, but the only partition covers the complete 232 gig disk). I plan to create two equal size partitions. But first I gotta get Zorin working satisfactorily.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:27:56 pm

Here is another option - and no I have NOT tried this - so do so at your own risk! :D

http://www.howtoforge.com/install-linux ... hard-drive

bilnrobn

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09:33 am

I don't feel easy about trying that one Swarfender. I was hoping my answer to madvinegar's request above may help. I can boot into Zorin through the CD with Plop to the thumb drive, so the images I have burned onto both of those seem OK. My guess is that there is some incompatibility with something on my computer, could be hardware like the video card or software, If so using the option you just told me about wouldn't fix that.

Truth is I'm out of my comfort zone and area of knowledge so I just don't know.

Wolfman

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:13:16 am

Hi Bill,

I would try a USB install again using Unetbootin for Windows:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

I know you said you tried it but I have a feeling that your DVD drive might be in need of replacement as you said you tried burning at the slowest speeds and I think you should download a new ISO and then create a bootable USB drive and try it again.

Try downloading a new ISO from a different location than the one you originaslly chose, try this download link as I have used it before and it is a trustworthy website:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 7533.shtml

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:08:41 pm

Wolfman, he hasn't got a DVD burner only CD - hence his need for memory stick route! :D

bilnrobn

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57:46 pm

Hi Wolfman,
I have unetbootin and used it on the previous occasions. I have already deleted one download and re-downloaded Zorin from a different source, but will try a third time from the link you have given me. I don't think there is any problem with my CD burner, (other than it can't handle DVDs). It can record at any speed and for music I use a higher speed. I used 2 this time as the lowest speed possible is recommended.

Anonymous

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13:32 am

If your still trying to use Unebootin.
Unebootin has been acting funky with the lastest release.
If you have one of the older vewrsions of Unebootin use it for installation.
I have tried Unebootin-Current on several occasions...and errors one after another.
Use Universal USB Installer : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/ ... on-windows
The devs are always good about keeping up with the current releases...including Zorin OS.
It has never failed me to this day.

madvinegar

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:02:26 am

bilnrobn wrote:Right, done that. Turns out it was a lower case 'L' after all; it wouldn't accept 1. Here is the result...

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M890CE/K8N890CE [Chrome 9] [1106:3230] (rev 11)

Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Device [1462:7253]

Kernel modules: viafb

04:01.0 Audio device [0403]: Via Technologies, Inc. VT8237A/VT8251 HDA Controller [1106:3288] (rev 10)

hmmmmmm... :|
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4474

bilnrobn

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:19:39 am

:o Is "hmmmmmm" good or bad?

I'm just in the process of penning an update. I hope you will have some input... pretty please. :roll:

bilnrobn

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:26:13 am

I am thinking I am past the booting image stage successfully, as I am starting to have limited success, so at this stage haven't tried to start over.

When I boot into Zorin via the CD and then by the thumb drive, here is what is currently happening. (It is an improvement on previous results and the last two boots have done this.)

After boot finishes there is a flashing blue Zorin screen for a short time and then a black screen, apparently while it gets the footer bar set up with the Z button on the left and the shut-down link on the right. Then the blue diagonally patterned Zorin screen returns. It does not flash at all as long as I stay within the blue area. Apart from the bar at the bottom there is nothing else on the screen, (no shortcut icons).

On the first of my two recent boots I got a message "The Application Comp 13 has closed unexpectedly." I told it to carry on anyway and that message has not reappeared., even on the second boot.

If I hover over an icon in the bottom bar the screen flashes again for a short time. Similarly if I click on something in the bar. It also brings up the window that button or link activates. I have found I can access and update the date and time. I have also found I can access the internet, which quite surprised me. Whilst in Chrome on the internet it behaves more or less reliably.

On shutting Chrome via the cross at the top right, and this also occurs when I exit other facilities I can get at, it either ignores the action or the window goes away, but reappears if I click the Zorin button. And I get a lot of screen flashing, often with the window I am trying to open starting small and increasing in size as it flashes. Annoyingly, the facility I previously shut down usually reappears.

All of this gives a feeling of not being in control and being not quite sure what surprise it is going to spring next.I only feel relatively at home when online in Chrome, but I have only done some pretty straight forward things like bring up some sites I regularly visit and use Google Search.

Should I be creating a separate partition on my computer, (I have the room, and ability I think, to do that.) How do I then set up Zorin to run from that partition? Might this solve my instability problems?

I have read that, in Zorin, I needn't worry about viruses that affect Windows systems. I view that with suspicion and am guessing I will need a good AV, (my current one is Avast Pro), and also Malwarebytes. I guess I would just download them and install, not attempt to import them from the XP partition? I see that Zorin has a Firewall so I guess that is something I needn't worry about.

I've also read that if I want to continue to use Microsoft Office the best option it to install Open Office.

Re emails, is there a facility similar to Windows Mail, or the older Outlook Express. to access my ISP created email addresses rather than visit the ISP's website?

Any advice to help me move forward from this point would be welcome.

Wolfman

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16:25 am

Hi Bill,

still use "nomodeset" even with a USB install!.

Thunderbird works for me as a mail client.

You can try and install MS office with Wine but it didn't work for me.

http://www.howtogeek.com/171565/how-to- ... -on-linux/

guide about partitioning here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

You do not need an AV app for Linux but if you do want one:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1948

bilnrobn

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00:49 am

Thanks for all that. will work through it; may take a while as time a bit tight for me at the moment.

bilnrobn

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46:36 am

Wolfman, you suggest nomodeset. Looking back in the thread I see on page three you said, "Boot live CD and when you see the Zorin menu press Tab and type nomodeset acpi=off."

(This is an edited paragraph) I've now found the menu you refer to and done as you suggested. Initially it still flashed, but not as much and I could use the Zorin button. I set up an email address on Thunderbird, (at least I think I did), but then had trouble exiting the final screen. Ctrl/Alt Delete finally allowed me to get back to the blue Zorin screen and it wasn't flashing at all. It then opened a small window with, I assume, a choice of home page styles. I selected the standard Zorin option and I then got a sign in window asking for my login and password. I haven't yet set either so assumed I could set one via that window. Apparently not. It wanted me to give a login and password that has never been set and I couldn't find any way to get out of that screen. I finally shut down the computer at the switch and rebooted into Windows.

Can I have your comments please?

Wolfman

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:04:30 am

Hi Bill,

I assume you still haven't installed?.

Yes I did mean "nomodeset acpi=off". Which you can also choose "Safe mode" and type in the command after pressing "Tab" as well.

Do you have an Nvidia graphics card?.

If you haven't installed, there is no password for the guest account, all you need to do is choose the name "Guest" and basically press enter and it should bring you back to the desktop!. You cannot set passwords in a Live CD ttbomk!.

bilnrobn

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:39:58 am

There are details of my video card in the second from top post on this page, (page 5 of the thread.)

Wolfman

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29:02 am

Hi Bill,

sorry that I cannot help any further as I really don't know what else to suggest apart from waiting for Zorin 8 Lite (will be available soon) which is based on Lubuntu (LXDE), I sadly have no more suggestions except to try a lighter version of Linux as I am not really sure about your graphics card!.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lxle

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lubuntu

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:01:14 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Bill,

sorry that I cannot help any further as I really don't know what else to suggest apart from waiting for Zorin 8 Lite (will be available soon) which is based on Lubuntu (LXDE), I sadly have no more suggestions except to try a lighter version of Linux as I am not really sure about your graphics card!.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lxle

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=lubuntu

or Trisquel (http://trisquel.info)

bilnrobn

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:53:25 am

That's OK Swarfender. I really appreciate your help, also wolfman, madvinigar and gismunto.

Can't win 'em all!