This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot delete ext4 or linux-swap to upgrade

ajrjaneway

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:56:00 pm

I have Zorin 6.4 installed on a laptop alongside WinXP. I want to install Zorin 8, so I am trying to follow the instructions for upgrading. I get to booted live on the DVD (using Zorin 6.4 or 8) and open GParted. I select ext4 -- which is on /dev/sda5 -- and when I try to delete it, I get the message "Unable to delete /dev/sda5! Please unmount any logical partitions having a number higher than 5." I right click ext4 or try the Partition menu, and there is no Unmount command listed. When I select "Information" it says that ext4 is not mounted. The same things happen with linux-swap, which is on /dev/sda6.

I'm relatively new to dealing with Linux, but I used to program in Unix many years ago.

Alice in Illinois

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:22:58 pm

Hi ajrjaneway, I am guessing that the linux swap may be mounted. Rather than format your ext4 partitions, make sure they are unmounted by right-clicking them in GParted (Gnome Partition Editor) - Did you back up your data first from '/home' ensuring that the hidden files are also backed up by pressing 'Ctrl+ H' whist in /home? My preferred MO is to delete the partition/s with any linux on them and start afresh with a new install/upgrade. (Also bear in mind that 8 will only be supported until end July of this year (just like 13.10 of Ubuntu on which it is based).

Hope this helps! :D