This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

'Missing operating system' error when trying to boot USB

tooplanx

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:03:29 am

Hi,

I'm trying to install Zorin from a USB (no CD drive), but every time I select to boot from the USB drive I get a 'Missing operating system' error and then it proceeds to boot into windows.

I have checked the MD5 and it is fine, and I have tried both Unetbootin, Universal USB Installer, Pendrive Linux, and Lili, and all give the same result.

I have installed other Linux distros (including a previous version of Zorin) on this pc using a USB drive without issue, though I haven't used this 32GB USB drive before, though it seems to be functioning fine otherwise.

Any ideas what on earth it could be?

Many thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06:14 am

Hi tooplanx, I sometimes get this error in PCs if I do a reboot after running a live version of GNU/Linux from memory stick. Did you make sure that 'external device' is selected as first boot device in the BIOS or used the 'one time boot choice' at startup (if your netbook has that functionality). Don't know if there are any issues with the fact it is 32 Gb - I only have 16 Gb memory stick at moment.

tooplanx

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:20:18 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi tooplanx, I sometimes get this error in PCs if I do a reboot after running a live version of GNU/Linux from memory stick. Did you make sure that 'external device' is selected as first boot device in the BIOS or used the 'one time boot choice' at startup (if your netbook has that functionality). Don't know if there are any issues with the fact it is 32 Gb - I only have 16 Gb memory stick at moment.

I'm using the one-time boot menu. Did think of changing the order in the BIOS, but that shouldn't make a difference should it?

I'm going to try it on an 8GB SD card, see if that works.

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:05:36 pm

Hi tooplanx, no it shouldn't make a difference - if it shows up in the one-time menu then go for it - make sure the SD card is 'unlocked'. Have you tried the memory stick in a different USB port? :D