This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8 - 32 bit

Hyperaptive

Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:36:08 pm

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I have a huge problem. Somehow my laptop does not like Zorin OS at all. I'm using an old HP Compaq 2510p.
I was using Windows Vista - but yeah.. you all know how that ended up.

The problem is - my Zorin does not install properly. I have tried a 8gb usb stick and burned it on a DVD 4.7gb disk.
It starts normaly to configure the data and starts installation. But once its around 95% - 99% it says a problem has been found and it can't finish installing it.

What is the problem? :?: :?: :?:

I contacted Zorin using email and they told me to check the md5sum codes and they are all correct. No problems found.
So what can i do? I have done everything i can to make it work but no - it just does not work.

And no - my computer is fine. Here i am using this same laptop with Linux Mint. And everything seems to be working just the way i want.
I would like Zorin more but it does not work. Is there something i can do?

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:54:21 pm

When you boot from the DVD/USB, try installing from 'live' mode by clicking on the 'install to hard drive', but before boot, try editing the boot parameters by pressing the TAB key and at the end of the command line enter:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off

Just one other thing, you did not use any capitals in username or name of computer, and you did not tick 'encrypt home folder' before clicking next?

Hyperaptive

Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:02:33 pm

I didn't use any capitals in username of name of computer but i did try installing with encrypting the home folder and without.. neither worked for me.
What is this code you told me to set into the parameters? Just interested..

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:07:53 pm

Hi, 'nomodeset' means that the graphics is set to basic without reference to inherent driver speciifics. This thread on ACPI should cover your other question! :D

http://askubuntu.com/questions/139157/b ... -parameter

Wolfman

Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:37:15 am

Hi,

what version of Zorin are you trying to install?.

See this about a posible solution:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4805

Hope it helps.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:37:16 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

what version of Zorin are you trying to install?.

See this about a posible solution:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4805

Hope it helps.

Hi Wolfman, the clue is in the thread title! :D ;)

Wolfman

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:35:19 am

Hi,

@Swarf, I actually meant whether it was free or ultimate but after looking at this again, I don't suppose it really matters!.

Hyperaptive

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:42:40 pm

I am trying to install the Free version. I must try what you guys suggested.. i really do hope it works out for me. Might it just be a bug in the OS?

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:02:03 pm

OK, assuming you have done nothing to the hard drive and it still has Vista, I take it it is this machine?

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookr ... 0p-review/

Ii is an HP - did/does it come with a recovery partition? Can you download Gparted Live from here and submit a screenshot of your hard drive layout?

http://www.gparted.org/screenshots.php

The reason I am wondering is because I have an HP netbook that comes with 4 primary partitions so you can't do anything with it until you delete a primary partition or two before attempting install - also the onboard recovery partition is usually at the start of the drive which makes it difficult for new OS's to 'see' the system part of the drive! :D