This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

CD Install

gasj1953

Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:59:14 pm

Hello everyone, I am a Windows XP user, and about to become a Zorin OS 8 Core user. I have researched the OS and it seems to be a very good and friendly OS. As for installation, I have purchased the Core CD from the site to install. I have a Dell Dimension 8250, with 87.5 GB of space, with 69.1 GB space available. It also has the recommended 512 MB of RAM. With all that being said, this shouldn't be a problem installing or running alongside the XP OS??? From what I have read it shouldn't, but I am asking to be sure. CD should be here in about a week. Thanks and I will let ya know how it goes. I do eventually want to make it the sole OS on the machine after I see how it goes using it.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:20:44 am

Hi,

see this guide about partitioning:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

If you have any other questions, please post them.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:36:52 pm

Hi gasj1953, It may well run but I suspect slowly. 512 Mb RAM might be a tad light - did you try the Core (free) version before ordering? :D

gasj1953

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34:13 pm

Hello again and I hope all are well. I tried the cd installation, but to no avail. It seems to not complete the process. It does start, but then locks up. I also was wondering, could my graphics be to blame. I did overlook the graphics requirements, I have nvidea GEForce 4MX x 420. Resolutions only go to a minimum of 600 x 800. Please let me know. My system also says 32 all over the place so I assume it is a 32 bit system. A NTFS to be exact. If I change the graphics to the lowest settings will that help???? I have no problem with the installation of the MS products, but this has me stumped. Thanks!!!

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:22:16 pm

Hi gasj1953, when you boot into live mode, choose the second 'advanced option' and press the Tab key on your keyboard to edit the bootloader and add:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off
and see if you get any further. Keep us posted. :D

gasj1953

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:25:32 pm

Hello, yet again!!! I hope all of you are doing well. Pretty good here, but waiting for yet another storm to hit us in the northeast!!! Oh well. Hey, I did try the code you had given me, and it worked to get things started but it hung up on the installation mode to how I wanted to install. I left the selection as it was, which was install alongside my MS XP os. I let it run for what seemed to be forever, and it never moved off that window. I will try again to see if maybe it was just a freak thing. Will keep ya posted. Thanks!!

gasj1953

Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:38:20 pm

Hello, yet again everyone!!! Hope all are well. Pretty good here. the only exception is.... yes the installation!! I did do another installation, and using the code you gave me, it did install. I let it do the default partitioning for the operating systems, MS XP and Zorin OS 8, and all seems to be okay, only that when I start up, I have to scroll to the advanced mode, then scroll to Zorin OS recovery, hit enter, loads to window to then resume normal boot, the to window to okay it.... and system then loads and I can use it. Besides that, I am getting to really like it. Still getting used to it, but i think it is good OS. I am wondering if I should just go ahead and try to reinstall it and install it as my sole OS. Whatcha think???? Again, your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks....Gil

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:25:47 pm

Hi Gil, just remember that 8 is only a short-term release - you may want to consider waiting for 9 to come out which will be LTS and usually 2 to 3 months after main Ubuntu core on which it is released, so looking at June/July time. If you want a long-term solution now, then you will need to install Zorin 6 - remember XP is no longer supported after April 8, 2014. If you need to keep certain applications then disable any network access so you can still use essential XP Apps that you can't live without! :D