This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

cannot start the live system on the notebook

noblex

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:32:43 pm

Hi, i'm having this problem with zorin core 8.1 : i made 2 boot devices (usb and dvd), when i boot the live system on the desktop all works perfectly but if boot on the notebook i get stuck in this screen, i tried many passwords (root, toor, user, default, zorin....) but i cannot go through this

noblex

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04:21 pm

if i press arrow keys i get in "Guest Login Screen", where i can do nothing, no click, no login, nothing

Anonymous

Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:35:15 pm

Use the [ Up ] & [ Down ] arrows on the keyboard a couple of times until the log-in background area becomes darker.

You will be good to go afterward !!!! :D :D

noblex

Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:32:19 pm

as i said when in the guest login screen i can't log anyway because if i click on the guest session it does not enter...

i tryied to create a persistant live system on my usb and i created an account to access while on notebook.. well it does not work too, when i log in i get a black screen with come command lines... then it comes back on the login screen

i love zorin's windows like graphic but these bug are the worst! never seen such a bad quality

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:31:18 pm

Is this a Notebook or a 'Netbook' Acer? I would try Zorin Lite but most of the versions that were released have gone past there support cycle. Suspect Zorin may jumpt to Zorin 9 Lite. In the meantime, try LXLE. (http://lxle.net). If a Notebook, then try Zorin LTS release of 6.

noblex

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:34:25 pm

why should i go for lite version? i have a good hardware i want a nice gaphic

Swarfendor437

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03:16 pm

OK, did you choose 'autologin' during install? Did you attempt to 'encrypt home folder' during installation?

noblex

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:00:47 pm

I DIDN'T INSTALL ANYTHING!!!
i can't get in the live session because he wants me to log on the live!!

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49:22 pm

Hi, not come across that before - usually the live login will go straight to the desktop - only if you logout is there usually an issue. If you did try to log out, the username and password used to be:

user: live
password: [none - just press enter key]

You stated you made USB and DVD is that because the notebook does not have an Optical Drive? I suspect something may have gone wrong with the USB version you created (I have had some problems creating Zorin Educational with Persistence but not without 'Persistence' using MultiSystem).

noblex

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:26:59 pm

no my notebook have ofc both usb and dvd... i tryied usb before, ran in the problem, tryied again with the dvd, same problem

ofc i checked md5
i tryied also these stuff:

1) creating a permanent zorin system on usb instead of the live and creating an account whose i know the passwd (from desktop, all works fine on my desktop), when i get on the note, i log in, then i get a black screen and it turn back on the login screen.

2) i put the note HD on my desktop, install zorin on that HD while on desktop and then put hd back on notebook.. same problem of 1)

3) i pressed alt f1 to get on the terminal and i deleted the login manager and istalled something different... i got the seg fault

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51:09 pm

Sounds to me like a corrupt install - putting the Notebook hard drive into the Desktop won't have helped as I guess it will have been looking for the Desktop hardware! :D

I would start afresh with the DVD in your Notebook and choose the advanced boot options and then press the 'Tab' key to edit the bootloader and add:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off