This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite big bugs

Totolanio

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:28:24 pm

Hello,

This is the second time I install Zorin lite 6.2 on two different PC.
I got the same problems as the first time :
Bugs with language update, bugs when updating, it stopped before the end. But not on the very first update. On the second one.
So I had to reboot and make the partial update.
Also I had to replace some configs file when the window asked me to.

Then I realized that EVERYTIME I log in, I have to specify the keyboard layout (in lxkeymap) from "fr" to "fr()".
Everytime. Very boring to type passwords this way :P
I also cannot install Mozilla firefox because everytime I try in the zorin web manager, it says "error" and it closes.

So i decided to check my partitions, dunno why, and Gparted gave an error (without much details neither) everytime.
WTF !!! That's not normal at all !

It's not the same install as the first time, because this time I made dual boot between windows xp with lot of data, and Zorin lite. I did everything well in windows xp before, i just didn't remove the Back up points (restore). I formated the / and /home to ext4 etc...
And my first install was made on an older PC but I erased windows xp totally.

I don't understand.
Ah, I just read about this viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4835 I didn't follow this guide though.

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:01:07 pm

Hi Totolanio, you could have answered your own question with that last topic link! I don't know if Zorin team will create a Lite version with 9 being so close (Ubuntu 14.04). In the meantime I can highly recommend LXLE - I swapped Lite for LXLE on an older Notebook that got very warm running Zorin Lite - what also impressed me with LXLE is that it picked up a USB printer very quickly and knew which drivers to install without having to ask me for which model! Also, unlike most Lubuntu derivatives which last between 9 and 15 months LXLE is based on Ubuntu 12.04 so lasts til April 2017! :D

Totolanio

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:26:22 pm

owww s*** :x
Incase I stick with lite, I reinstall Zorin Lite and do everything written in the thread ? (i didnt follow it for the first install)

I installed Zorin lite on two PC and I wanted to install on a third.
You think I should go with LXLE (especially for my mother and grandmother until 2017) ??

Even for me ? For my own old PC which will act as a multimedia center (to watch videos in my diner room) and will require some graphical tweaks ? (increase sizes of the bars, taskbar etc...)

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:44:25 pm

All I can say is take it for a spin - it runs in live mode just like Zorin. Because the last release is no longer supported for security updates (it is one of 7 different Lubuntu variants I think and I can't find the link I found recently - sure it was on Lubuntu.net or wiki which referred to Zorin Lite but I can't find it now! :x

Totolanio

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:26:51 pm

I didn't understand, Zorin Lite is insecure now ??

And for LXLE it requires me to have torrent client, that really sux (i tried all the others possibilities...)

Totolanio

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:55:23 pm

What's the risk ? I thought it was secure until 2015 for zorin lite 6 omg :x

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:25:03 pm

Totolanio wrote:I didn't understand, Zorin Lite is insecure now ??

And for LXLE it requires me to have torrent client, that really sux (i tried all the others possibilities...)

Sorry about that, don't remember using torrent to download it - they must have made the change recently as I am pretty sure I downloaded the full .iso - but my memory ain't like it used to be! If you are looking for another lightweight distro with LTS then take a look at Trisquel (http://trisquel.info).

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:31:04 pm

Totolanio wrote:What's the risk ? I thought it was secure until 2015 for zorin lite 6 omg :x

The longest a Lubuntu based variant can be (apart from LXLE) is usually 12-15 months after release time.

Check the release cycle here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu - its 18 months from date of release (You need to scroll down the page). Not sure then when Zorin 7 Lite finishes? Wait for Wolfman on this one as I think he made the announcement.

Totolanio

Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:32:14 pm

Yes i checked it xD

I managed to download LXLE 32 bits. For my 1GB old PC, hope it gonna be as fast as zorin lite the insecure xD.
Zorin 7 lite doesn't even exist anymore :P and Wolfman said it's outdated too.

Why don't they remove Lite from the website and all the guides on it ? that's what made me install it.
And should I remove it from my mother's computer and wait for version 9 (and pray for it) ?

I'll check Trisquel too.

Totolanio

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:01:57 am

And what about Bridge LXDE ? 80 MB of RAM required o_0

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:59:30 pm

Totolanio wrote:And what about Bridge LXDE ? 80 MB of RAM required o_0

Not comacross that one but have come across Qelitu from Softpedia - that only uses a similar amount of memory - and you can get rid of the green theme! :D