This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 6 Lite ignores Printer

lenberman

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:00:22 am

I setup an older computer with Zorin OS6 Lite and everything works except the printer. I ran the printer troubleshooter and it told me that the CUPS print spooler isn't running. It said to go to System / Administration / Services from the main menu. There is nothing like that in the menu system. I found a reference in the printer section that referred to the CUPS server but when I tried to connect to the CUPS server, localhost, in the drop down menu, it came back with CUPS server error, failed to connect to server. I went to HP drivers and it was indicated that my printer, a Deskjet D1660 was supported in Linux and Zorin should have the driver built in. What do I do to fix it?

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:57:30 pm

Hi lenberman, I don't know if 'hplip' is available via synaptic package manager - this is the HP toolbox for printing - you may also want to do a search in synaptic package manager for hp and see all the packages that return.

In the mean time try this in a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
system-config-printer

Please keep us posted! :D

lenberman

Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:07:28 pm

That didn't help but I tried the same printer on Zorin 6 LTS and it immediately found the printer. Can it be that Zorin LITE is the problem?
Len

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:34:55 pm

Hi lenberman, have you tried installing the hp-lip and hp-tools etc?

See Wolfman's guide here for post-installation for Lite and scroll down till you see the 'printers' section in green:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4835