This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

upgading HD

muskieslime

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:39:30 pm

first just let me say thanks to you guys for a great OS. I have been using Zorin 6.4 for a few months now and love it! fast, stable, free, and the LTS is a good thing too.

I just bought a new 320 G HD and need some advice. should I do a clean install on it and try to sync everything? Or should I copy from my 40 G to the 320G? Main concern is partitioning in drives so different in size.

also can I just move the 40 G to another machine and have it work ok? I tried this with windows and it didn't like it much. They are both Dells that are not exactly the same but close...

I have been trying different things, external HD, DVD, cams and usb adapters. I haven't found a thing yet that didn't just work with no fuss!

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:15:56 pm

Hi, if you want to save yourself some time and hassle, you could just clone the machine and tell clonezilla to fill your 320 GB drive. Can't guarantee what will happen hardware wise - and assuming both machines are desktops not Notebooks.

Full guide on their page (and clonezilla is free!):

http://clonezilla.org/

muskieslime

Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:17:20 pm

thanks swarfendor! I'll check out clonezilla and let you know what happens1DWSCU62GT85V

muskieslime

Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:05:43 am

think it may have taken longer to download and burn clonezilla than it took to do the cloning! you guys rock! let you know how it works out trying to plug the old hd in another machine