This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] replacing xp on an old laptop

johnh1211

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:42:18 pm

Hello - im trying to understand the installation process; it looks pretty clear to me except for two items.
1. can i burn the 32 bit iso to a cd or will it not fit.
2. after i boot from the laptop cd/dvd drive and before i begin installing do i need to be connected to the internet via ethernet cable; i'm guessing wifi won't work at this point.

thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:03:38 pm

Hi you need a DVD - will come back later unless someone else replies - end of lunch break!

Pierre

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:16:48 pm

1. it's over 700Mb, so that's a DvD in size
2. you don't need to have a live 'net connection , to complete the install,
- although the installer does expect that one is present, - click 'skip' to continue, without any 'live' updates .. ..
- connect to a live connection, later, - after the install is completed.

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:29:34 pm

Hi Pierre, Thanks for your input. To johnh1211, if you can connect via ethernet at point of install it will be better as it can pull other packages (mainly proprietary codecs) but not essential as Pierre pointed out. With regards to your wireless issues, once you are up and running, our resident wireless expert, madvinegar, should be able to get you sorted out in no time at all - unless you have a bizarre wireless chipset! :D

johnh1211

Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:07:12 pm

Thx for your replies. I'm up and running and the wireless works fine. Do I mark this ticket "resolved" or do you guys do that? I'm sure I'll have more questions as I poke around, but so far so good. thx again!
john

Swarfendor437

Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11:01 pm

If you post again and the issue gets [SOLVED] - put this in front of your Original Post (the first entry in the topic, by clicking on the edit button on your post - for now I have done it for you! ;)