This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OS 8 Dual boot install will not boot.

JFMegee

Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:31:41 pm

Message: I installed zorin 8 per your instruction. The install seemed to go without any issues by using all the default options. Set up was with dual boot with Windows XP. After install system will not boot. I get the following error message.

error: no such partition.
Entering rescue mode...
grub rescue>

I want to get a linux system up and running with a windows xp look alike. That is why I choose zorin. But if the system will not boot up except in the live mode from the install USB drive.

If you would be so kind as to give me instruction on getting the dual boot option to work so I can pick either Windows XP or Zorin 8 to work. At this time PC stalls at this message and I do not know how to get to either operating syste,. I do not mine an uninstall or what ever it will take to make this work.

Thank you for your assistance.

Pierre

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:10:26 pm

"error: no such partition. "
erk !

using the live_cd:
- paste a screen_shot of Gparted
(the partition manager)

- paste a copy of /boot/grub/grub.cfg

from that hdd

Swarfendor437

Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:57:12 pm

Hi JFMegee. and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

Without having full knowledge on how you installed, I can only guess that your GRUB has not been installed to the correct place in the hard drive! When you followed the instructions, was it the ones given here?:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6075

If you only have one hard drive, this should show up as 'sda' with XP on 'sda1' - did you choose the automatic install? I prefer to do the manual installation method myself as you have greater control - my guide to install alongside windows should work for you! :D