This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

out of range message during install

redbeard

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:59:08 pm

I have been trying to install Zorin 6 lte but haven't been able to get past initial install screen. The disc will spin and then it will go black and a few seconds later I get an "out of range" message in my monitor. I am trying to install on a Dell optliplex 760 with a ati radeon dual display port. I have tried pulling the card and going with the onboard graphics, but received the same result. I am trying to move from XP to Zorin without much success. I looked through other threads, but it appears this issue was happening after installs were complete. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Swarfendor437

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:00:23 pm

Hi redbeard, you should be advised that both support for 6 and 7 Lite have now come to an end - this is not a Zorin issue but the lifecycle of Lubuntu on which it is based. I can highly recommend LXLE as an alternative until a newer Zorin Lite becomes available.

http://lxle.net

redbeard

Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:10:21 pm

It wasn't the lite version but Zorin 6 core. I finally figured out it was my ATI video card that was the issue. I pulled it and could get the live version to run. I also finally recieved my 6 ultimate cd and tried it and it will install but when I restart it just comes up to a blue screen and nothing. I think I am going to start a new thread to see if I can get anywhere. Trying to replace XP and timing is of the escence.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:09:13 am

Hi,

if you did use a disk, did you burn it at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

If you can see the Zorin menu when booting, press the tab key (above left shift lock) and type "nomodeset acpi=off" and press "Enter".

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:46:24 am

Hi redbeard, try this at Boot time:

1. Press the 'e' key to edit the bootloader.

2. type in the following code:

Code:
forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset

3. Press the enter key to resume boot.

Keep us posted! :D

redbeard

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:29:16 pm

Wolfman, I actually purchased the physical media from Zorin, so I assume that would be the case. Swarfendor, I will try that this morning. Do I use a command line to edit or just type after the script that is there after I hit 'e'?

redbeard

Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:44:35 pm

I tried the edit just in the script that came up. It gave me an error that it didn't know code or forcevesa. Let me know if I need to try this in command line edit.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:49:40 pm

Hi,

you should click on "Select All" in the code that Swarf posted above which will only show this:

forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset

The above is what you need to type in after pressing the tab key or "e".

redbeard

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:08:02 pm

ok. I press e and type this and it didn't change anything. I am entering 'E' at the grub menu upon booting from the hard disc. Should I be putting this into a command line? I am just adding it to the end of the script screen that is already there when I hit 'E' The frustrating thing is that it ran fine in live mode before I did the install. I had to enter the nomodeset acpi=off under the tab before boot, but then it came up great in live disc mode. It just doesn't translate to the install for some reason.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08:30 am

Hi,

by pressing the "e", you must make sure that the commands you type are accepted before advancing!, you are effectively trying to edit the boot menu with the commands given earlier!.

This is a bit old but has more info on what you need to do:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Let us know if it helps.

redbeard

Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:56:32 pm

ok. I was able to get it to boot, but with unstable video. After looking at it it appears to have the wrong video drivers. The details in the system settings show the graphics as VESA: Intel Eaglelake Graphics, but when I boot it in Live mode it is using Intel Q45/Q43 x86/mmx/sse2. I was able to get it to boot using the nolapic and nomodeset. However the screen flashes off and on when ever I leave the Z button. It is extremely hard to function on. Any suggestions, and will I have to boot this way with the extra script entry every time?

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:36:03 am

Hi,

have you tried resetting your monitor, somewhere on the monitor is a reset function, do that and see if it still flashes!.

Also, do a force update in case there are any missing dependencies with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Restart your PC afterwards!.

Let us kow if it helps.

redbeard

Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:45:31 pm

Ok, it did stabalize the desktop,and it did boot with the correct graphic driver and allowed by dual screens. It now appears the Zorin desktop is gone for the ubunto version of AWN? . Learning alot through this process but still not sure that is correct. I just noticed that the Z button is gone and now an orange and white circle type icon is there instead. Small issue in the grand scheme. However, it still requires the command nolapic behind the kernel command script on bootup. Is there a way to get it to boot directly without that step being necessary. Thanks.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46:49 pm

Hi,

check out the post install guide and this section "More info about the AWN panel (Avant Window Manger)" scrolldown near the bottom!.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Reinstall/Reset AWN with the given commands in the guide!.

redbeard

Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:49:52 pm

Ok. I will try the AWN reinstall/ reset. What about getting the unit to boot without the edit in grub?

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:41:58 am

Hi,

you shouldn't need to edit Grub if you have installed your graphic card drivers!. Did you do another full update after installing the drivers?, what graphics card do you have?.

If it is Nvidia, please read this too:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

You can do a quick update with the following terminal command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Make sure your software sources are set correctly, read this guide for info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247&p=9245#p9245

Let us know what happens. :D

redbeard

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28:50 pm

It is integrated Intel video and the drivers/ id are in a previous post above. It is an intel 4series and I believe it is a 4500. I haven't tried any of the suggests above yet, but it boots to a blue screen currently.

redbeard

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:04:47 pm

ok. well I did the update process through recovery mode as the article suggested. At first it wouldn't boot in recovery mode, so I had to try again with the edit 'nolapic' to get it to that point. That is the whole issue. The unit seems to run fine once the os loads, but I have to edit the kernel line in grub with the 'nolapic' in order for it to boot up in Zorin

Wolfman

Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51:13 pm

Hi,

okay, boot into recovery mode again and activate "Network", then drop to root and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume"!.

Try that first before trying to edit GRUB!.

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Setup

redbeard

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21:48 pm

ok. I followed your suggestion and not it boots to a black screen with a cursor after grub. After reading some of the links you posted it seems that grub isn't supposed to show if you only have ubuntu/ zorin solely on the unit. Is the fact that it does a sign of some other issue?

redbeard

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44:20 pm

Well the blinking stopped and this is what I am seeing on the screen when I try to boot normally. I don't know if this will help, but I figured better more info than not.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39:45 am

redbeard wrote:ok. I followed your suggestion and not it boots to a black screen with a cursor after grub. After reading some of the links you posted it seems that grub isn't supposed to show if you only have ubuntu/ zorin solely on the unit. Is the fact that it does a sign of some other issue?

Hi,

normally the GRUB menu won't show unless you press Shift during boot.

Your picture didn't really help much!.

Have you tried the disk/USB stick on a different PC and are the problems the same?, see if you can use someone elses PC and try it out, it might be a fauly ISO?. Does it work in Live Mode?.

Have you considerd that you try Zorin 8 Lite as it is out now?:

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html

Let us know as I don't really know much more how to help you aprt from suggesting you read here about adjusting boot parameters:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

DON'T FORGET TO PRESS "SHIFT" WHEN BOOTING OTHERWISE YOU WON'T SEE THE GRUB MENU TO BE ABLE TO EDIT IT!.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Wolfman

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:55:55 pm

Hi,

another question, have you checked in BIOS as to whether or not you can switch ACPI?. A lot of BIOS have this function!.