This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin v6.2 not loading properly

lostnow

Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:40:06 am

I have 5 computers I am working with of which 3 are old non-pae and the other 2 are newer and have much better hardware. I had looked at Lubuntu and it was not suitable for the newer computers; then tried Zorin 6.4 on these 2 computers and liked what i found. Now the problem, operational failure on Zorin 6.2 on one of the older machines - it loaded and booted properly, internet connection was made, but none of the software that use the internet would function - browser, software update, synaptic. Then I reverified the MD5sum on the ISO file, burned another CD and got the same result. Then changed operating systems (to Windows 7) and used IMGBURN with verification on the disk. Got the same result.

At this point, giving up on Zorin 6.2, installed Lubuntu 10.04 and it worked properly the first try. Because these two programs seem to have the same base, what would cause this problem?
What i want to do is to limit the number of computer operating systems when possible. Presently must have Windows 7 and XP, but one of the old tower units is used daily for letter writing with Abiword and prints on a Brother laser printer is very slow using XP. This computer and its backup need to have new/different operating systems.

Any suggestions

Swarfendor437

Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:53:56 am

When you run in Live mode, press the 'Tab' or 'E' key to edit (think it is 'e' in 6.x) to edit the boot command.

Try adding these commands with a space between each:

Code:
forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset

forcevesa = forces graphics to work
acpi = power function - if the BIOS has a 'power' tab - look for acpi or noapic and set to 'disabled' - then you should not need to enter 'acpi=off'
nomodeset = no specific resolution set for graphics

Keep us posted!

PS If this still does not work I would recommend these two alternatives:

Trisquel 6 (LTS) - http://trisquel.info
LXLE (LTS) based on Lubuntu til April 2017 - http://lxle.net

lostnow

Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48:53 pm

I have reloaded Zorin 6.2 lite and when adding package (samba in this case) using synaptic, an error occurs that some packages cannot be downloaded that are included as a part of the selection (in this case only samba + dependencies and the GUI were included).
Chromium seems OK on the internet, internet connection acknowledged during installation OK, and synaptic appears to be functioning until downloading packages.
Any suggestions?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:54:32 pm

Right, that last post you gave was 'critical' - you stated 'Lite' - my previous response was based on age of machine and read your initial posting as 6.2 core - 6.2 Lite is no longer supported as both 6.x and 7.x of Lite have reached the end of their support cycle - which is why I recommended the two alternatives - it could be that samba etc is not installing correctly because the repos have been updated and Lite will not be able to install dependencies that are for a higher version than what you have installed! :)

lostnow

Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:40:52 pm

I tried reinstallation before I read your last post, and after several minutes of upgrade, the system is working properly - looks good, but I don't know what version I am running. I need to know what is best for the other two old computers - both are non-pae as well as this one.
Code:
larry@GW-Laptop:~$ uname -a
Linux GW-Laptop 3.2.0-60-generic #91-Ubuntu SMP Wed Feb 19 03:55:18 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
larry@GW-Laptop:~$

larry@GW-Laptop:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:   Ubuntu
Description:   Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS
Release:   12.04
Codename:   precise
larry@GW-Laptop:~$

One thing I have not found, very much needed on the other computers, is to reduce the desktops to one (1). I loaded compiz with GUI and did not find the correct answer after reading several posts on this subject.
Thanks for all your help

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:02:34 pm

I would personally go with Trisquel 6 (I don't like the default wallpaper as much as the one that came with 5.5 - if you can find 5.5 anywhere it will automatically roll up to 6 (LTS) and has a panel at the bottom (Docky) with a Win2k feel to the menu but all the apps work out of the box and no compiz - Pitivi video editor is very good. ABrowser works very well but you can't use it to upload screenshots to this forum. Comes with LibreOffice.

http://trisquel.info