This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Stranger in a Strange Land - Learning to Grok Linux - USB

Casey KN

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:16:34 pm

Greetings All,
With respect to Swarfendorf instructions, I will parse this "book" into managable pieces in different subforums...
I am managing to stumble into the Linux Universe with Zorin and Wolfman's post
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054
I feel like I am trying to get Wing Commander to run on 286sx... Oh well, need to learn sometime....

Immediate installation and issues...
Zorin 8.1 (eval before Ultimate) - USB LIVE
PhenomII 1100T X6, AMD770, Nvidia 8800 or GTX 760, Realtek (on-board) of SoundblasterZ, 8Gb DDR2

When installing via Terminal (or Synaptic?) the installs would sometimes returned "ERROR 1 or 2" with "dependancies unconfigured"(?). The packages seem to run, but my opionion is suspect, for I am clueless... Some packages were not found at all....

The install is on a 16Gb USB. After going through the post installation instructions I find the system returning a "FullDisk" warning & /home properties read 0bytes.
Tried moving the install to a 64Gb USB and STILL reads 0bytes (Win7 sees 3.8Gb). Obviously I have a lot to learn. I would like to continue to develop this install (or a "Do Over") on USB, but intend to install in parallel when comfy....

Sound... Oh sound.... Have gone through everything I have been able to find so far, but am unable to get a peep out of either sound system... Packages recommended were either not found or ineffective... I have much to learn and will keep looking for solution...

After loading Gnome desktop (?), after reboot caused icons on the taskbar to disappear... maybe 0bytes issue....

THanx for all assistance...
I'm afraid I will be here for a long time...

Wolfman

Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28:54 pm

Hi,

immediately after installing any packages with an error message, you should open a terminal and use the following command which will force the install of said package:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

Also take a look at the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

You can also try:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Hope it helps. :D