This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bootmgr is missing

frank_f

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:49:23 am

Hi,

I downloaded Zorin 8 and am trying to install it as a dual boot with Win7 64 bit.

I have the iso on the usb stick using unetbootin-windows-585. As the iso loads onto the drive there is a portion that says Bootloader (done).

When the system restarts, I get "Bootmgr is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Do I need another piece of software or have I just missed something? Is a dual boot possible with Zorin 8 and Win 7?

Thanks,

Frank

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:25:06 am

Hi Frank,

where did you download the ISO from?, you should get it from here:

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html

Did you completely format the USB stick to FAT32 before using Unetbootin?.

Let us know please!. :D

frank_f

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:51:03 pm

Hi Wolfman,

I did download from zorin-os.com and selected 8 as the download (1.6 Gb download). I formatted the USB but in NTFS. I'll reformat and try again.

Thanks for the heads up . Hopefully this works.

Thanks,

Frank

Anonymous

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:54:27 pm

For me it looks like there is some missing piece of software in your USB. Normally when booting from a USB drive, it launches a selection window to select whether you want to start a live session or install the operating system or make some memory test or to do something else .... Now it complaints that this bootloader is misssing.

Here is a good tutorial video to see how it should go. It is using UUI instead of Unetbootin but it is more or less the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWO3vif7hTw

My suggestion here is that try to make a new installation to USB. Download a new .iso file and use a complete erased fat 32 formatted drive. You may also use the different UUI software if it could make it better.

PS. Normally the installation software, at least in UUI, makes the formatting to fat 32 when selected. However I make the complete erasing before making the installation with an other disk tool.

Anonymous

Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:59:25 pm

frank_f

The USB has to be formatted to FAT32

And use Pendrivelinux...instead of Unetbootin.

Unetbootin has bee real grabage lately.
Pendrivelinux has never failed to this date.

Link : http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

frank_f

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:32:21 pm

Thanks Wolfman. Reformatting in FAT32 was the ticket.

This message is coming from you live and in colour from my laptop running Zorin 8.1.

Might I say that this is a snappy OS. Chrome just flies on this thing.

One more question for today though. When the OS opened and gave me a chance to connect to the network, it seemed to have minimized itself. When I right (or left) click on the icon, i just get a very fine line opening above the clock area. I managed to connect using settings and network but I would like to re-expand the network list. How would I do that?

Thanks,

Frank

Wolfman

Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:40:39 pm

Hi Frank,

check out the post install guide for info about the panel settings:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

scroll to near the bottom and this section: "More info about the AWN (Avant Window Manger)"

Hope it helps. :D