This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Low Graphics Mode - How to install my AMD driver?

tstar21

Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:43:52 pm

Good Day,

System Details:
1) Toshiba Satellite C50D-A Laptop
2) 4GB RAM
3) Dual Boot Win 8.0 (Home edition??) 64bit and Zorin 8 Core 64bit (though not really given the (apparent) lack of UEFI support in Zorin, had to change to CSM in Bios in order to boot DVD but will attempt to convert the install to UEFI if I can get GUI functioning)
4) During Install, I shrunk the Windows Partition to 450GB and created a 40GB root(/), 1MB Grub, 10GB swap space.
5) Graphics Chipset is AMD HD8330 integrated (Linux driver is available and has been downloaded and extracted to a server on my network)
6) Wireless chipset is unknown at this time, connected to internet via Realtek LAN chipset. (Wireless was working as well, apt-get was connecting via Wireless last night)
7) When I booted the Live DVD and tried to run Live, I got this same "Running in Low Graphics Mode" issue, but given that a Linux driver is available from AMD I figured I should be able to install Zorin and then install this driver.
8) Zorin 8 Core 64bit

The Issue:

Upon completing the installation, the computer reboots and loads the GRUB loader screen. Selecting to boot Zorin 8 results in the Blue Zorin screen, followed by a dialog box stating:

"The system is running in low-graphics mode"
"Your screen, graphics card and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure these yourself"

I click Okay and choose "Run in Low-graphics mode for one session".

This brings me to a login, followed by a terminal prompt.

Things I have tried
Using a sudo apt-get install command on the direct link to the amd driver failed (I'm thinking because the file is zipped (xxxx.zip))
Editting the Zorin menu link to include "nomodeset acpi=off" did not get me past the Low Graphics dialog.
I'm unsure what command to use to connect to my home server for the driver file... tried sudo apt-get install \\watmedia\public\amdxxxx.yyy.run and sudo apt-get install 192.168.1.2\public\amdxxxx.yyy.run to no avail. Perhaps a Samba command needed here?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I've been trying distros as possible replacements for WinXP for clients and short of issues running Simply Accounting 2010 or 2012, this video issue is the only unsolvable issue I have found thus far. I should mention that all my testing is done on my own machines. Currently have Zorin OS 8 Core running on my desktop, from which I am typing this.

EDIT TO ADD
Further research on this led me to attempt installing the fglxr driver via the following:
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fglrx-installer

Though the repository was added successfully, the fglxr-installer was not located.

tstar21

Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:48:59 pm

I'm going to call this solved I think.

I continued to do further research and found this article:
[spoiler]
Code:
http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=17948
[/spoiler]

My problem was solved using smxi to install the proprietary Amd linux driver using these commands and following along with smxi:
Code:
sudo -i
cd /usr/local/bin
apt-get install unzip dkms linux-headers-$(uname -r)
wget http://smxi.org/smxi.zip
unzip smxi.zip
sudo su -  (this was not in the original post, but an error told me to do it)
smxi

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:00:47 am

Hi,

thanks for the info, it might be a bit techny for some but I have included that link here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6951&p=32852#p32852

If you have any suggestions for improvements to help others with AMD/ATI graphics cards, fire away!. :D

tstar21

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:13:34 am

Hi Wolfman,

I don't think there's much that could be improved in all honesty. I installed also Zorin 8 Core 64 on my desktop: (waiting for Gaming to arrive in the Mail)

Phenom II 945 x4 @ 3.2Ghz
16 GB DDR3
XFX Radeon 6870 1GB

It installed in a multi boot with Win 7 Pro 64, Win XP Pro and Dang Small Linux without any issue at all. The 6870 runs every game in my steam catalog using the "Open" driver, never even bothered with the one AMD wrote. As far as I can tell, the card runs at ~52C at idle (52C Win7) and ~80C under load (~70-90C Win 7). I've RMA'd the card once under warranty for fan failure and when the replacement failed I installed one of my own choosing, so not sure how comparable these values will be to others.

The laptop chipset is somewhat newer I would think (desktop build from Oct/12) and in my experience with Linux, the integrated chipsets always were a bit tougher to detect. Don't be scared of the command line. DOS would be just as scary if you'd never used it, probably worse tbh because if you break windows it could take half a day to recover ;-)