This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Gateway freezes on boot up from installed OS

zoro

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:05:48 am

Hello,
I'm trying to run Zorin on a Gateway M285-E. If I use the live CD I can run version 6 and 8 in the live session mode. But as soon as I load the OS and try to run off the hard drive, the laptop freezes up during the boot up. This laptop has the tablet feature that allows the use of a stylus. I don't know if that could be causing the problems? Searching the forums I found reference to loading the video drivers. I don't where to find those or how to load them.
It seems strange that the display would work in live system mode but not from the installed mode. Am I missing something simple here or something really complex that in the end would put the old cow out to pasture? Please advise or direct me to the proper forum, thanks
z

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:46:30 am

Hi,

is this your model?:

http://www.pcworld.com/product/29393/ga ... 285-e.html

Try starting in recovery mode on your installed system (not live CD!) and first activate "Network" (network cable reqired), then "DPKG" and let it do its thing, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, don't click on resume!.

Let us know if that helps.

zoro

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:30:03 pm

Hello Wolfman,
Yes that looks like my laptop. But I may have cried "wolf" though. I kept at it last night. I started a live session in safe mode with Zorin 8 and then loaded it to the hard drive. Then when I rebooted I selected Zorin advanced and it started in I think generic linux? When it booted up I had a display. So I shut it down and let her restart normally. It started up, I heard the little intro play, and shazam there was the display and I was up and running. Is there any hope in getting the tablet feature with the stylus to work? Or is that a different forum?
z

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:35:20 pm

Hi zoro,

we can mark your original problem as solved.

I don't know anything about Stylus myself so start a new thread in Help & Support!.