This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Zorin 8 lite - Samsung N110 nbook alongside xp

Anonymous

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:01:10 am

Hello,
I am non tech but bios on my notebook does not allow for any other boot than from hard drive. There is no cd/dvd capability and I do not have funds to purchase expensive additions.
How do I install direct to hard drive? Remember I have very little knowledge. I do know I need to partition the c drive making room for the new os in separate partition to xp which was on the machine when I bought it.
I have Zorin 8 lite on usb flash drive but the system boots into windows every time
because that is the only option available in Bios.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:40:49 am

Hi,

open your BIOS and look at "Boot Device Priority", there should be an option for "Other Devices" like a USB stick, you need to make sure that the USB stick is the made the "first boot device", then save your changes and reboot with the USB stick plugged in. All netbooks have this feature, check the BIOS model name and go to the website for more info if you are not sure!.

http://www.boot-disk.com/boot_priority.htm

Anonymous

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:31:59 am

Unfortunately my netbook does NOT have this option. Although all the possibilities are there they all have N/A after them except the hard drive, which I assume means not applicable, as I have already tried what you suggest and would not have asked the question if it was that simple.

Anonymous

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:53:38 am

Hello,
It is me again. I just heard from another source exactly what you said to me so went back and tried again.
This time it worked!!! What does the N/A mean as it obviously does not mean not applicable. Thanks very much.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:06:12 am

Hi,

quite possibly "Not Available"?.

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:45:51 pm

Another 60 blue ones for Wolfman! :D

To the OP (Original Poster) can this thread be marked [SOLVED] now? :D

Anonymous

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:40:48 am

First day trying Linux I find I can not have Shockwave without changing to a browser that I :evil: hate and doing a load of fiddling about. No wonder ordinary non technical people don't like Linux.posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=6968&sid=6bbeb4781e0502619d772e36f83b3982#

Anonymous

Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:44:04 am

Yes it can be marked solved.
I can not even understand the forum let alone how to get shockwave. What a nightmare!!

Wolfman

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:32:15 am

handy1912 wrote:Yes it can be marked solved.
I can not even understand the forum let alone how to get shockwave. What a nightmare!!

Don't worry "Grasshopper", we are there to help you!. :D

https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/raring/gnash/

I must admit that I couldn't get "Gnash" to work correctly in FireFox!, I didn't really give it much thought though and simply use Flashplayer!.