This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Stuck on installing Zoron 6

Rother

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04:07 am

Hi very new to linux, installed zorin onto an old XP machine alongside XP, the installation seemed to go OK but when prompted to do some updates i ran out of disk space.
So now i cannot boot to zorin i can to xp still, i can boot to the live cd.
I am wondering if i have installed zorin to the wrong hard drive i have the boot c drive and 2 others for data.
How can i tell where i have installed it, can i uninstall and start again.
Any suggestions would e much apprecited

Rother

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23:55 am

Hi,

boot the live CD and open: Zorin Menu > System Tools > Admin > Gparted and check your partition layout and post a screenshot if you can.

Rother

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41:50 pm

Hi thanks here are 2 screen shots
I can also get in if i boot to recovery mode, all i get is a file manager.
Many thanks
Rother

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:53:52 pm

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Your layout looks a bit messy but I think part of your problem may be that you might have installed the boot manager (grub) onto the 2nd drive /dev/sdb rather than the first /dev/sda and that is why you having a problem booting!.

When installing, always use /dev/sda for the bootloader!.

Your other problem is simply that you don't have enough room for anything Zorin as you have barely enough space!.

A normal Linux lpartition layout should have 3 partitions.

swap (double the size of your RAM but no larger than 4GB)
root partition of about 15 to 20 GB
home partition of a minimal 20GB >>>>>>>> plus

Please look at the guide link I posted and the screenshot of my layout and get back with any questions.

-dev-sda - GParted_012.jpg

Rother

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40:06 pm

Hi many thanks, on installation i just followed what zorin instructed, it doesnot say you need all that disk space i think it says some like 7 gig min.
Initially i was able to boot ok the mistake i made was to do the application updates, is it possible to roll them back.
or if not how easy is it to uninstall zorin and rethink.
Rother

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:46:00 pm

Hi,

unless you did a save, you cannot rollback, rather than go into that, I would think about a complete re-install doing the partitions first per the partitioning guide!.

Let us know how you get on. :D

Rother

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:14:38 pm

Hi after i use the partition guide method, do i then use the Install (Zorin OS) using the "Something Else" method.
Rother

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:47:17 pm

Hi Rother,

yes!, that is what I normally do.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:51:04 pm

It is an old video but check my tutorial on a three OS install on one drive!

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v283328437Pyp3Byy

BUT - swap should be at the end of the partition/drive and equal your physical RAM in size.

Rother

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:35:08 am

Hi thanks again
do i uninstall the linux partitions via gparted before i start.
Rother

Wolfman

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:27:23 am

Hi Rother,

I find it is always best to create/preformat my partitions before I start an install, that way you have more of an idea of what you need to do in terms of partition selection.

Please take the time and read through the guide I posted earlier as it explains it step by step! (the partitioning).

Rother

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56:59 am

Hi i have been rethinking your advice re not enough space anyways,
I have a 500 gig drive i use for data backup with 250 spare in a usb container, if i make that into a boot drive and swap it with the current drive, follow the your install instructions, will i have trouble with the linux left on the E drive.
The other worry i have redoing the current setup is i cannot find my original xp install disks, the instructions say i will need them to get the windows boot back
Rother

Rother

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:57:58 pm

Hi again
well what a bummer afternoon, decided to swap drive out, i had forgot that the 500 gig was a sata drive, thankfully i had some cables etc, so the state of play is the sata 500 gig drive is in no op sys on it, just data i want to keep.
Boots to Zorin live 6 ok see the drive ok.
First thing would i be better to look at Zorin 8 now, my main reason is to run plex and use it as a media server.
I still need to do and somethins as the install.
many thanks
Rother

Wolfman

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:07:39 pm

Hi,

redo your partition layout from the right of your Windows partition and when you install Zorin, you should be able to boot into Windows no problem assuming everything goes well.

Again, read the partition guide and if necessary the links contained therein and move forward slowly.

BACKUP YOUR DATA in case things go wrong!.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:36:21 pm

If you can wait a few more months I would wait for 9 instead of upgrading to 8 - 6 will last you til April 2017! :D

Rother

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28:34 am

Hi followed instructions install went ok, except when i run gparted it scans but doesnot finish, unless it is supposed to take a long time, it worked ok from the livedvd.

Also how can i tell of the hundreds of updates which are essential to install.

Rother

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:32:49 am

Hi Rother,

install them all, it won't hurt!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Rother

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:24:02 pm

OK there are a good few, any ideas on whats happened to gparted do i need to re-install it.

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:48:54 pm

Hi,

the object of the excercise is to update and fix any little problems, Gparted will most likely run correctly after you have done the update!.

Rother

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:42:31 pm

OK when i went back to update manager it says 1 update has been selected 86k when i install it nothing happens.
If i select check to list all updates, it updates cache but nothing is listed
Rother

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:18:21 pm

Hi Rother, I did identify this once because it was a package no longer available and Zorin 6 pointed to a US mirror as that is where the main market is for most OS's these days! Try changing the Update Settings server to 'Main Server' and be sure to check that 'Check for latest releases of Ubuntu' is set to 'Never' or you could break your installation! :D

Rother

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26:48 pm

Hi checked is already set as you suggest.
i think the problem is somehow i have selected i update to download, but in the description there is no description.
Is there a way to clear or unselect this update
Rother

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28:06 pm

I did manage to do it once but a while since I have used it - I can see I am going to have to dual-boot Zorin 8 with 6! :D

Rother

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:34:33 pm

Thats would be good, its going tobe a long learning curve.
Is there a way to change asking for my PW when i log on i set it wrong for me on the install, infact but i can understand why it is annoying to have to type it everytime you do/change something.
Rother

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:40:11 pm

Hi, the reason why it asks for a password is very much like windows when you log in as an ordinary user you used to have to right-click and 'Run as ...' and select 'Administrator' then use the password - at least you don't have to select 'Root' in GNU/Linux before entering the password! ;)

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:46:11 am

Wolfman good morning
i am try tu update following your detail

You can also do the same as the above commands using Synaptic, open Synaptic and click on "Reload" then "Mark All Updates" and lastly on "Apply". (Except the force part!!!!)

Make sure that your sources lists are active and set to "Main". You can do this via Synaptic > Settings > Repositories

i did reload then mark apply it said i needed to downgrade i think it was unit greeter, this i did but now when i select mark all upgrades apply does not light up.
the downgraded app is in pinned

confused
Rother

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:59:11 am

Hi,

open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following command, it should fix any software problems you are having, restart after doing it:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Please read the software update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

let us know if this helps. :D

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07:02 am

Hi thanks
when i went back to both the update manger the "stuck" download had gone check for updates shows none to install.
i cannot believe it has downloaded all those updates.
Should i still do as you said
Rother

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:10:02 am

Hi,

check your software settings first, look at the guide and it explains what you should do!. :D

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:40:02 am

Hi did the boot into recovery mode, that brought back the 1 update to install in update manager, with nothing to install.
going to try terminal next
Rother

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:41:45 am

Hi,

check the software sources settings, it is also listed in the update guide, you must make sure that all the repositories have ticks in the boxes!. :D

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:59:32 am

Hi all the boxes in zorin software are ticked, main is selected, no change.
Is there no way of removing the update that will not install.
rother

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:54:25 am

Swarfendor437 Hi did you manage to have boot boot your sytems still struggling with this rogue update
Rother

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:57:37 am

Hi Rother, Not got round to installing 6 yet, been doing a bit of catchup work on changing colour schemes for other posters! :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7005#p33349

Which version of Zorin 6 are you running? 6.0, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3, 6.4 and is it 32 or 64-bit?

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33:04 am

Hi on the boot screen it says 3.2.0-6.0 generic ic
donot know my way around yet to find info like a sys info app.

It says Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on the details screen sytem settings
Rother

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13:51 am

Do you still have access to the original image file that you used? it should say something like:

zorin-os-6-core-32.iso

or
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/zorin/6.x/ ... ore-32.iso

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:36:59 am

o
zorin-os-6.4-core-32.iso‏
Rother

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:28:26 pm

OK, think I have downloaded that, if not will do and install some time this weekend! :D

Rother

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:07:48 pm

Cheers where are you based
Rother

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:30:05 pm

Sheffield UK! :D

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:30:22 am

Rother wrote:Hi all the boxes in zorin software are ticked, main is selected, no change.
Is there no way of removing the update that will not install.
rother

Hi,

open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and run the following commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

and then:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Then restart and see if that fixes the problem!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Rother

Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:21:51 am

Hi Wolfman just tried restart the update manager still has the 86k update saying it will download but no description in the box below.
When i go to package manager mark all updates box pops up with downgrade unity-greeter, what is that.

i have also noticed when i ran ubuntu tweek for the first time it says your system is uptodate, when i first installed Zorin there were loads of updates to install in the update manager, could these updates have been done in the background without me knowing ?

i have downgraded unity-greeter and the 86k update in update manager has gone.

Thanks Rother

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:07:19 am

Hi Rother,

good to hear!. :D

Can we close this thread now and mark it as solved?.

Any further questions regarding post install can be posted in the Help & Support section of the forum!. :D

Happy Easter. :D

Rother

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:15:17 am

Many thanks Rother

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:38:55 pm

Excellent job everyone - and as it is Easter, 60 jewels apiece! :D I tried installing Zorin 6 last night along with 8 but was having some issues - so saves me the bother of putting it back on! :D