This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 8 Lite from USB; not bootable device

weilmd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:10:48 pm

BIOS does not support USB boot (only 3.5", CD, HDD) and I only have CD drive (not DVD). Zorin too big for CD. I have the .iso and can burn it to a 8G USB stick. How can I install to my HD (replacing XP...all information is backed up...can totally reformat HDD with no hesitations).

Thanks.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:20:01 pm

Hi,

make and model of PC please!.

weilmd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:10:54 pm

IBM ThinkCentre, Model 8433-98U
P4, 2.8GHz, 3.5G RAM

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:43:54 pm

Hi,

see page 101 here for instructions on how to change the boot order to USB:

http://de.scribd.com/doc/22220794/IBM-T ... User-Guide

Let us know how you get on!. :D

weilmd

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:11:57 pm

Ugh...thanks, Wolfman. I had been trying through the BIOS utility...I will try tomorrow when I get to work.

Meanwhile, I'm presently installing it on my home computer through the USB drive...I'm excited to try a new OS; and Microsoft is losing 3 computers from their stable...and am guessing many more worldwide.

Thanks for the help...will let you know how this works.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:21:57 pm

Hi,

good luck and please remember for future reference, always tell us what make and model of PC you have so we know what hardware we are dealing with and can help you quicker!. :D

weilmd

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:23:46 pm

Checked this morning. In BIOS, I set Startup Sequence as "Removable" then "Hard Disk". There are no devices listed under the "Removable Devices" section in the BIOS setup. The computer has a 3.5" floppy drive (yeah, remember those?). Choosing F12 at startup lets me pick a temporary boot device, but choosing "Removable Device" results in a HD boot (does not see the USB, although the physical USB drive lights up). I do not find a way to boot from the USB, and the computer has only an "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B" drive. I checked the CD-RW, and although the system calls it CD-DVD on a few screens, I tested it with a Zorin 8-Lite DVD and it does not recognize it (although the other Win7 computer does, so the DVD seems to be OK).

I think I've covered all bases?

Is there any way to install Zorin Lite, as it is too large for a CD and I cannot boot from a USB? :-(

Wolfman

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10:11 pm

Hi,

when you are leaving the settings menu, you are "SAVING THE CHANGES" aren't you?.

Other option, take out the HDD if you can and put it on another PC and install Zorin on it then put it back in your netbook!.

weilmd

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:59:56 pm

Wolfman...

Yes...I am saving the changes. The problem is, there is nothing that seems to allow USB to be boot recognized. I looked to see if there was a BIOS update, but no. So I'm guessing a "standard" installation on this computer is not possible?

As to your other option...interesting. So, if I remove the HDD and install Zorin on it from a different computer with different hardware, etc...what happens when I stick it back in the original computer? If this will work, I'm on it! (but, {and no offense intended}, I'm not a real computer geek...but like an amateur swimmer, I can do a few laps in the pool even do the survival float, maybe even help out those who can only otherwise drown in the water...but I'm not a competition ready swimmer!) :-)

And, maybe a final question..I steered towards 8 Lite because it was lite, but given the system I'm running (P4/2.6GHz, 2G RAM), would 6.4 be more "robust"? The minimum specs seem to handle it...would I be able to network it easier, etc? (I know, off topic...)

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:41:06 pm

Going back to no USB mount, PLOP Boot Manager would be a good way to go. I had an old Toshiba Satellite to play with (Celeron Processor with 96 Mb RAM) and it too would not boot to USB - in my case, USB DVD-RW - but PLOP Boot Manager sorted it out nicely:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

With regards to the Core question - give it a whirl - if it runs fine in Live mode it should run even better on the machine! :D

Wolfman

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:33:48 pm

Hi,

ditto what Swarf said with regards to core!.