This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot install Zorin

blockie

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:23:17 pm

I downloaded the Zorin ISO from the official Zorin site. I then burned it to disk using ImgBurn. Upon trying to install Zolin on my computer, I put the disk in the DVD drive and rebooted the computer. After going through th Bios the Menu appeared giving me several choices one of which was install zolin. I could not move to any choice using the tab key as instructed. Tried the arrow keys also and still could not make a choice. Finally the menu closed (timeout, I think) and then this error appeared after some time (maybe a minute) of blank screen. the error was something like this "(initranfs) failed to find required container for a Live File ?????". I have difficulty reading my own notes. Nothing further happened.

I was able to install Ubuntu without a problem. So I know that my disk and disk buirner IMGBUN, are performing as they should.
Hopefully I have given some clues to you so you can help.
Bikk

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:42:55 pm

Hi and welcome to Zorin! :D Please give us some bigger clues! :D :

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Rother

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:19:07 am

Hi after the download did you check the MD5sum:
i didnot on my first download of the iso burnt the disk and it wouldnot boot to the livecd.
the checksum was wrong i must have corrupted the download.
not sure if that is whats wrong.
Rother

Wolfman

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32:21 pm

blockie

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:10:50 am

i ran a checksum and did NOT get agreeing nunbers. Althoigh I ran the image file to DVD as slow as I could, 2 X the checksums did NOT match. That explains why it didn't work. I have ordered the disk from the company, hoping this will allow installation as well as support.
Bill

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54:04 am

Hi Bill,

you can also try a USB install, make sure you completely format the USB stick to FAT32 before commencing with Unetbootin!.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

Hope it helps. :D

Anonymous

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:38:32 am

You may use the Universal USB Installer instead of UNetbootin if you have Windows. That is similar to UNetbootin but performs better according to my experience.

Here is the link:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal- ... -as-1-2-3/

blockie

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:33:27 am

My computer does NOT have the capability to USB boot.

I have ordered the Zorin Premium installation disk. When it arrives, about 10 days, I plan to install it on my computer. Presently I am dual booting W7 and Ubuntu, which I just installed. I have listed the construction of Disk 0 below.

Drive 0

Partition #1 240GB ntfs Drive C: Windows 7
Partition #2 110GB ntfs Drive D: Empty
Partition #3 106GB ntfs not named Ubuntu
Partition #4 110GB ntfs not named Swap

I am using an Asus P53E laptop.
CPU = 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core i3-2330M
Ram = 4MB

Now for my question.Some questions probably can't be answered by you. For those questions please provide me with the correct URL or the email, if you can.

1. What partition will Zonin be installed
2. Will the Zonin setup program modify the partition stucture. I prefer it be installed in partition #2. And can I make a choice?
3. Will the installion process create a three-wat boot menu? (Windows 7, Ubuntu and Zorin) I am using "EasyBCD" to create a dual-boot menu. I can add the Zorin to it to make a three way boot menu
4.Please give me the correct URL for premium support that I get with the purchase of a Zorin Premium disk?

Will probably have more questions.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Wolfman

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:24:16 am

Hi Bill,

you can preformat and then use the "something else" method to install:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

A full partitioning guide is here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Howto ... ningBasics

Contact for the devs:

http://www.zorin-os.com/contacts.html

blockie

Sat May 03, 2014 6:16:17 pm

I'm Baaaack.I rec'd the purchased disk with "Zorin Ultimate 8". It didn't install either. By now I am getting pretty discouraged. As a last try I downloaded again.This time I was able to use the Live Disk function. I wanted to try Zorin because I heard that the user could change it to emulate Windows 7 or Windows XP. Because of the demise of WXP I thought I could replace the XP OS with Zorin on the computers that some of the residents at this Assisted Living Facility are using. Although I could see the similiarities to Windows on the desktop of Zorin I did not see anyplace to change it back and forth between W7, WXP and Zorin. Are there any?
Bill

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:49:45 pm

Hi Bill,

look in the main menu for Zorin Look Changer!.