This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) with a lot of help) Ok - So how do I make it work?

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:04:45 pm

Good afternoon, as one new to Linux, and even newer to Zorin, I am converting my neighbour's XP laptop to Linux and have tried Kubuntu, Mageia and found problems with both. I need a system that my non-tech neighbour can work with and thought that as Zorin provides a Windows like GUI, she would be happier with it than with one of the more esoteric desk-tops available elsewhere. Now my problem:

When installing Zorin; from an ISO DVD downloaded from the site, three times now; I find that whatever I put in to the user section, when the program boots, even though I put in the password, I find I am logged in as a guest. I click on that icon and in the pop-up, change the user to "The User", I can do nothing. Chrome won't start, I try to load Firefox but am told that:

"Software can't be installed or removed because the authentication service is not available. (org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name':':160'}) org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

So why am I always logged in as a guest, and why can't I become "User"?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:26:56 pm

Hi, just a few checks first.

A. After you downloaded the .iso you verified the md5 checksum? http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

B. You used FireFox or Opera to download the .iso

C. You used 'imgburn' (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the DVD's

1. You did not include any capitals in the username.

2. You did not give the computer name one with hyphens in (even thought the installer tries to do this)

3. You did not tell the installer to 'encrypt' home folder at point of install.

Apart from the above it would be useful to know the specifications of the machine, including make/model, processor, graphics, hard drive and whether your neighbour still needs to boot into XP to access certain applications but avoid internet access. :D

Anonymous

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:42:15 pm

Click on the Up and Down arrows on the keyboard a couple of times until you can see the [ user ] on the log-in area.

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:55:57 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, just a few checks first.

A. After you downloaded the .iso you verified the md5 checksum? http://www.veoh.com/watch/v28335038JpeNGXzP

Where would I have gone to do this?

B. You used FireFox or Opera to download the .iso

Firefox

C. You used 'imgburn' (http://www.imgburn.com/) to burn the DVD's

No - K3b

1. You did not include any capitals in the username.

None

2. You did not give the computer name one with hyphens in (even thought the installer tries to do this)

Yes

3. You did not tell the installer to 'encrypt' home folder at point of install.

No

Apart from the above it would be useful to know the specifications of the machine, including make/model, processor, graphics, hard drive and whether your neighbour still needs to boot into XP to access certain applications but avoid internet access. :D

She can't boot into Windows anymore. She only really wants to use the computer for shuffling pictures and the like.

I must say, I was impressed by the initial bits; it logged on to a fairly weak wi-fi signal without problem, and found a Kodak ESP 5200 AiO printer and printed a test page, more than I could do with either Kubuntu (an update nixed the Wi-Fi connection) and Mageia4 doesn't do Kodak printers without me learning all about compiling and the like, and at 69 I'm too old for that, and anyway, I've got my flying lessons...

Oh, and whatever I do I can't get a English (UK) keyboard

Advent, Intel T2050 @1.6Ghzx2, 1Gb memory, Intel 945GM x86/MMX/SSE2 Graphics, 32-bit, 77.6Gb HD.

Thanks for the quick response. Am I going to have to create a new ISO?

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:04:58 pm

Have you tried Gizmunu's advice of using the 'up' cursor key at the login screen first to see if your user name shows up? This is what I have had to do on this rig - just wanted to check why you have had to download 3 times etc. :D

(And well done you - flying at 69! :D )

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:26:13 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you tried Gizmunu's advice of using the 'up' cursor key at the login screen first to see if your user name shows up? This is what I have had to do on this rig - just wanted to check why you have had to download 3 times etc. :D

(And well done you - flying at 69! :D )

I didn't download 3 times, I installed 3 times.

I hadn't, as I was typing on this machine - He's right, the user-name does then appear. Now I'm trying to get it to update, but it is refusing to accept the password - Giving the same error message as before. Why is Zorin expecting a different password from the one I log on with. I wasn't asked for 2 different passwords, one for log-on and one for root, when I did the installation.

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:50:08 pm

Bloggsworth wrote:I didn't download 3 times, I installed 3 times.

I hadn't, as I was typing on this machine - He's right, the user-name does then appear. Now I'm trying to get it to update, but it is refusing to accept the password - Giving the same error message as before. Why is Zorin expecting a different password from the one I log on with. I wasn't asked for 2 different passwords, one for log-on and one for root, when I did the installation.

My bad, sorry

OK, make sure you have not got Caps Lock on or such like and you definitely put in the correct password - and just to confirm you did NOT put any capital letters anywhere in the username?

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:16:52 pm

Bloggsworth wrote:Good afternoon, as one new to Linux, and even newer to Zorin, I am converting my neighbour's XP laptop to Linux and have tried Kubuntu, Mageia and found problems with both. I need a system that my non-tech neighbour can work with and thought that as Zorin provides a Windows like GUI, she would be happier with it than with one of the more esoteric desk-tops available elsewhere. Now my problem:

When installing Zorin; from an ISO DVD downloaded from the site, three times now; I find that whatever I put in to the user section, when the program boots, even though I put in the password, I find I am logged in as a guest. I click on that icon and in the pop-up, change the user to "The User", I can do nothing. Chrome won't start, I try to load Firefox but am told that:

"Software can't be installed or removed because the authentication service is not available. (org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.Error.Failed: ('system-bus-name', {'name':':160'}) org.debian.apt.install-or-remove-packages

see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:46:01 pm

Wolfman wrote:
Bloggsworth wrote:Good afternoon, as one new to Linux, and even newer to Zorin, I am converting my neighbour's XP laptop to Linux and have tried Kubuntu, Mageia and found problems with both. I need a system that my non-tech neighbour can work with and thought that as Zorin provides a Windows like GUI, she would be happier with it than with one of the more esoteric desk-tops available elsewhere. Now my problem:

see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

Logging in is not a problem now, at least I don't think so, the problem is that my password is unrecognised when trying to update, load programs, set up security, that sort of thing "The authentication service is unavailable". I have already posted the error message I get, there seems to be a bit of the OS mising.

When I fail to authenticate the password I am eventually offered a "Do you want to report an error" panel. It seems rather silly that one has to authenticate an inability to authenticate, which is of course unauthenticated, so is not sent to the developers, so they don't know of the existence of the problem... Round and round the password goes, where it stops, nobody knows ;)

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30:14 pm

Hi,

if you are only logging in as "guest", it won't let you do jack, are you logging in with your normal user account?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

Did you set a seperate admin and normal user account with different passwords?.

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:05:28 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

if you are only logging in as "guest", it won't let you do jack, are you logging in with your normal user account?.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6338

Did you set a separate admin and normal user account with different passwords?.

No - I wasn't asked to, unless it was the complicated looking bit before the make a password bit. It didn't say something explicit like @It is preferable for you to make a separate and distinct password for an Administrator account@ Sausages, I've still got a US keyboard like my Apple!

Bloggsworth

Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16:17 pm

Right - I made a new ISO, burned it and let it do its checksum. I then reinstalled the OS and at no point was I asked to put in a different password for an administrator. If I check the user profile, I am listed as Administrator, yet I am still getting the error message about @Authentication@ and I still can't get a UK keyboard, not even by running through the keyboard check when installing "does your keyboard have a # (Pound Sterling) key?" - Yes it does, and I told it so. It seems that this is another Linux OS which does not do what it says on the can - Pity, it looked so promising. Oh well, I'll continue my search for an OS that is vaguely functional, clearly this one is not.

Anonymous

Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:12:23 am

Guest log-in

You can enter a password or just press enter and you will see the desktop.

User account.
You have to enter the password to get to the desktop.
If you press enter without password...your denied access.

It sounds stupid...but quite a few don't pay it any mind and get even more confused as what session are they ______??????

In other words press enter [ without any password ]...and if your denied access...at least you know your aiming in the right direction. [ User Account ]

Try and go to [ User Accounts ] in the control panel to tinker and change your password or set up another user account.

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51:43 am

Gizmuntu wrote:Guest log-in

You can enter a password or just press enter and you will see the desktop.

User account.
You have to enter the password to get to the desktop.
If you press enter without password...your denied access.

It sounds stupid...but quite a few don't pay it any mind and get even more confused as what session are they ______??????

In other words press enter [ without any password ]...and if your denied access...at least you know your aiming in the right direction. [ User Account ]

Try and go to [ User Accounts ] in the control panel to tinker and change your password or set up another user account.

I'm sorry, but just how stupid do you think I am? I understand about passwords, I was logged in with the password I gave when I installed the OS - The problem is, if I want to install Firefox as my browser, I am not allowed to, as I get asked for a password, but the password I use to log in with is not; at that point; acceptable to the OS, but there is no indication that a second password will be required when you do an install using the first option on the list; i.e. install Zorin over the top of whatever was already there; if you wish to install programs. I am giving it one last try, and re-installing using the second option on the list, the one which encrypts your files and does, it seems, ask for a second password.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:07:52 am

Hi,

lets back up a little.

when you were at this window during the install:

14.jpg
14.jpg (14.65 KiB)

You were asked for a password, which password did you put in there?.

Whatever password you put in, that is the password you should be using for all admin work, if you have not assigned any other users to the PC, whatever user name you put in, is also the only username you will need!.

As I posted earlier, the Guest account won't let you do anything.

Please refrain from verbal attacks on other foum members, no one is saying you are stupid, questions must be asked to get to the root of the problem which may sound demeaning!.

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:18:27 am

lets back up a little.

when you were at this window during the install:

14.jpg

You were asked for a password, which password did you put in there?.

Whatever password you put in, that is the password you should be using for all admin work, if you have not assigned any other users to the PC, whatever user name you put in, is also the only username you will need!.

As I posted earlier, the Guest account won't let you do anything.

Please refrain from verbal attacks on other foum members, no one is saying you are stupid, questions must be asked to get to the root of the problem which may sound demeaning!.

Wolfman - I had already answered that question, more than once - I had said that I was shown as logged in as administrator, so being asked it again, to me, implied I was stupid. No offence meant, just a bit of frustration coming out.

Now, as to your picture, that is exactly what I saw and exactly what I did - Clearly there is no request there for a second, root, password; hence my frustration. I am now even more frustrated, as having tried the encrypted option, I am now locked out of the computer as I am getting a message that the "Crypt set-up has failed" There is something seriously bugged about the installation procedure with this OS - First the spurious "Guest" business now, after the inability to access updates and installations, the failed encrypted log-in. And no, I hadn't forgotten the password, I have it written down in front of me.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:34:41 am

Hi,

just making sure!.

Okay, you can try one of two things, the first being a new install using the "Something else Method" as you don't have anything installed anyway, you can do that by using the same partitions that you already have and so you just need to assign the mount points and re-install. DO NOT ENCRYPT YOUR HOME FOLDER!.

Something Else Method:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

The other which I don't think will really fix anything but is worth a try is you can try running "DPKG" and see if that helps, see the first part of this update guide about how to do it, a NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

Let us know if that helps. :D

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41:03 am

Right, that's one problem solved - I'll leave you to work out @how@. Which, if you think about it, is more interesting than it first appears. Another bug, in that it operates as a UK keyboard when installing the software, then changes to a US keyboard when the installation is finalised, hence why I was fooled when trying to install software... Now I can get a UK keyboard, my neighbour is having enough trouble learning to use "Office" type software without having to mentally change the @ and " keys!

The business of swapping keyboards after initial installation should be sorted - I would have thought it fairly common to use the ampersand in a password, so having the keyboard change from UK to US after installation is, to say the least, confusing, not to say maddening! I'm quite intelligent, and have been using personal computers since 1983, and have a Mac Mini,, but was still caught out by that one, and in being so, wasted a lot of helpful people's time - What happens if you started the process using a Swedish keyboard? Would you know that basic difference between a US & UK keyboard?

Next - How do I get a Firefox onto the Taskbar? It seems that I can' allocate it or drag it.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:51:41 am

Hi there, to create an icon in the bottom panel, first off go to Internet section of the main menu, select FireFox and launch it - an icon should appear in the Panel - right-click this icon and select 'Make a custom launcher'. In the Name box that appears, select 'Firefox' and in the command box 'firefox %u' (don't include any speech marks - used just for highlighting. Strange you had the UK board issue, I tend to get the other way round sometimes until 'locales' have been implemented from System Settings. Keep us posted! :D

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54:53 am

It gets sillier. If you go to System Settings>Language Support>Language and drag English (UK) to the top of the list, then select Apply Systemwide, input the password, then restart the computer, it doesn't stick. So I thought "I wonder if Keyboard Input has a part to play, so I opened it in System Settings and selected English UK, I then went to Input sources and found that the only "Input" listed was English (US), so I used + to add the English (UK) keyboard - I then looked in System and found that I now had alternative keyboards. I then made the mistake of closing the window and selecting English (UK) from the EN button on the Taskbar. When I restarted the computer the Password would no longer work, so I tried " instead of @ and bingo, I was in. I went back to System Settings and Text Input and uninstalled the US keyboard, that seems to have fixed it. A lot less straightforward than it should be. Now to re-install the network printer - Always fun with Linux and Kodak.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:22:08 am

Hi,

see also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1699&p=5927#p5927

Yes it is a bug btw, Ubuntu don't seem to deem it fit for a fix!. (I just installed Ubuntu 14.04 and it still shows both my German and a US keyboard for some reason!)

See the post install guide which also might be of help to you:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07:57 pm

For some reason, the printer didn't connect this time, so I went next door, connected the LAN cable, and did it that way.

Tried to get Firefox onto the taskbar but kept getting an error message, or I don't understand what I'm doing, the most likely reason! I assumed it was done through drag & drop or preferences.

Now I want to install Kingsoft Office, a doddle under Kubuntu, and as Zorin seems to be ubuntu based, it should work here, though it is not installing automatically - So more fun coming.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:40:07 pm

Bloggsworth wrote:For some reason, the printer didn't connect this time, so I went next door, connected the LAN cable, and did it that way.

Tried to get Firefox onto the taskbar but kept getting an error message, or I don't understand what I'm doing, the most likely reason! I assumed it was done through drag & drop or preferences.

Now I want to install Kingsoft Office, a doddle under Kubuntu, and as Zorin seems to be ubuntu based, it should work here, though it is not installing automatically - So more fun coming.

Did you follow my guide 3 posts back? Here's my tutorial video: http://vimeo.com/89178141

For kingsoft office you would best to install 'Gdebi Package Manager' - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

After install, download kingsoft office, right-click and choose 'Open with other application' - and choose 'Gdebi' everything should just work fine! :D

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:04:14 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Bloggsworth wrote:For some reason, the printer didn't connect this time, so I went next door, connected the LAN cable, and did it that way.

Did you follow my guide 3 posts back? Here's my tutorial video: http://vimeo.com/89178141

For kingsoft office you would best to install 'Gdebi Package Manager' - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

After install, download kingsoft office, right-click and choose 'Open with other application' - and choose 'Gdebi' everything should just work fine! :D

I just get a black screen with your tutorial - I guess there's something I need to install - Flash Player?

Which of the 3 Kingsofts should I download? .deb or .tar.xz or .rpm? Presumably deb as the package manager is Gdebi.

OK - You've got me! Where is the Console/Konsole/Terminal on this beast?

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:39:26 pm

I suspect the black screen is a graphics card issue - will deal with that later.

Right, Terminal = Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal

Yes go for the .deb package.

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:38:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I suspect the black screen is a graphics card issue - will deal with that later.

Right, Terminal = Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Accessories | Terminal

Yes go for the .deb package.

Tried to install Kingsoft and was told that I couldn't as I had to turn off System Updater, Synaptics or Aptitude - I wasn't aware of having turned them on. As Synaptics appears to be a package installer I had a look at that and got an error message telling me to run dpkg-configure-a which I assume you have to do in Terminal. So I opened terminal (which had magically appeared in accessories) tried it with and without a space before the a, then typed in su to see if I needed a password, I did, so I typed it in; it failed to authenticate, so I tried again using the " instead of the @, but got the same result - How do I get a password for use in Terminal? And why would I need one anyway. How do I turn off whichever application is preventing the installer working?

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:48:47 pm

If you have been advised to run 'dpkg configure -a' it sounds like a corrupt installation.

Please follow Wolfman's post installation guide here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

If you need to reinstall:
See my installation video here:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:52:09 pm

Not sure about the graphics cards bit. Videos play on the BBC News website, BBC iPlayer and live BBC TV, as well as on YouTube.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:58:53 pm

OK, so what is the current state of play?

Bloggsworth

Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:05:17 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so what is the current state of play?

I kept getting messages about fatal errors in the operating system - So I am reinstalling and avoiding the earlier mistakes.

Zorin relly doesn't like Kingsoft! The installation hangs using Gdebi and I get a message from Synaptics telling me to "Manually" run dpkg-configure -a. If I go into Terminal and try and run it it says it is not recognised, I've tried su, sudo with and without passwords; it is clear I'm doing something wrong - Any ideas? Apart from the fact that it crashed the system again!

Swarfendor, I tried your http://vimeo.com/89178141 link in IE10 on my W7 Lenovo, and it doesn't work there either.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:26:29 am

Hi,

this is the command you should be running:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Bloggsworth

Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:22:37 am

this is the command you should be running:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Thanks for those Wolfman.

You need to publish a list of the most useful commands in Zorin. You probably have, but I haven't found it!

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05:11 am

H Bloggsworth,

I have created several guides (How-To's) but cannot really say that I have a complete list of commands, I have thought about putting all the most common ones into a "Command List" but haven't gotten around to doing it yet!.

Browse through the How-To section of the forum, there is a lot of stuff for you to check out!. And the post install guide has several commands and links!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Can we close this thread and mark it as solved now as it is getting longer and longer and it should really be about installing and not post install!.

Please post any further questions in the Help & Support section should you have any!.

Happy Easter!. :D

Bloggsworth

Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:32:24 am

Yes - Mark it solved. If I have problems installing Zorin on my Toshiba Equiium, I'll be back... I'll let you know if Kingsoft installs on the Toshiba.

Hopefully, some of the problems and solutions will help other Newbies.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:48:37 pm

Bloggsworth wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so what is the current state of play?

I kept getting messages about fatal errors in the operating system - So I am reinstalling and avoiding the earlier mistakes.

Zorin relly doesn't like Kingsoft! The installation hangs using Gdebi and I get a message from Synaptics telling me to "Manually" run dpkg-configure -a. If I go into Terminal and try and run it it says it is not recognised, I've tried su, sudo with and without passwords; it is clear I'm doing something wrong - Any ideas? Apart from the fact that it crashed the system again!

Swarfendor, I tried your http://vimeo.com/89178141 link in IE10 on my W7 Lenovo, and it doesn't work there either.

Thanks for the heads up - it eventually works and then goes blank in Firefox - guess the upload has got corrupted - will see what I can do to sort out.

Very glad you are now sorted. 120 blue jewels to Wolfman for consistency and Percy Verance! :lol: