This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot Install Zorin

jtamark

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:56:57 am

Trying to replace XP on a Dell desktop. Desktop has plenty of capacity and processor power. Tried to run Live DVD, and after some promising images got a blank screen. Then tried again, this time with a complete install. Got some error messages:
fail network connection manager
fail starting set sysctls from /etc/sysctl.conf

I'll try again today, after re-burning an install DVD at the slooowwwest speed.

I'd love to try Linux, and am not eager to pay $$ to "the man" for Win 7.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17:39 am

That sounds like a graphics driver issue (black screen) - does the tower have an nvidia chipset onboard?

Try this at next boot time:

Press the Tab key to edit the boot command and add:

Code:
forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset
then press the enter key to continue bootiing.

Welcome to the Zorin forum by the way! :D

jtamark

Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:37:19 am

Yep, it's got a rockin' Nvidia Geoforce 9500GT. The hottest graphics card the system will support, because that's the way I roll.

I'll follow your instructions re the boot command. This is at the edge of my limited computer skills, but what's the worst that can happen? It's not like I'm going to alter the time-space continuum.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:46:16 pm

OK you may want to go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater) and click on the 'Additional Drivers' Tab - be sure you are connected to the internet, then plump for the 304 Graphics driver and see if things improve. :D

jtamark

Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46:58 pm

System is non-responsive now.

I burned another copy of Zorin on the slowest setting. Rebooted, but got a multitude of error messages.

Rebooted again, while pressing Tab, but didn't get anywhere. Rebooted again, while pressing F12 and Tab. Got error messages, but also a command line. Typed "forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset" but it wasn't helpful.

Rebooted again, pressing F2. In set up I switched the Primary Video Controller from "auto" to "onboard." I was hoping to switch off the Nvidia card to the motherboard's card, to prevent a mismatch between Nvidia and Linux. But now the computer won't start up. The system will energize, screen remains blank, but it's unclear what's happening, if anything at all. The DVD door won't open at all, so I can't even go back to XP.

How can I recover?

jtamark

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:08:50 pm

Okay, I removed the Nvidia graphics card and XP is running fine now with the base Dell motherboard graphics.

I put the Zorin install disc in, chose LiveDVD, get the Zorin start display, and then ..... black screen. Nothing.

Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:44:04 pm

I think I should wait for Wolfman - he's the graphics expert on here - I have been playing around with kit that needed recycling lately and those command sometimes work - what happens if you leave out 'forcevea' and just have acpi=off and nomodeset? Sometimes the BIOS has an ACPI/NOAPIC setting - if this is set to disabled you may only need the 'nomodeset' command.

jtamark

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:19:26 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK you may want to go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater) and click on the 'Additional Drivers' Tab - be sure you are connected to the internet, then plump for the 304 Graphics driver and see if things improve. :D

Swarf, I checked the Nvidia site, and they recommend Linux Driver x86 as appropriate for my video card.

Although it's moot now. I removed the card in an effort to get Zorin to load. No go with the Zorin install DVD.

After initial prompts I get a blank screen and that's it.

jtamark

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:23:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:what happens if you leave out 'forcevea' and just have acpi=off and nomodeset? Sometimes the BIOS has an ACPI/NOAPIC setting - if this is set to disabled you may only need the 'nomodeset' command.

I don't get that far. I get the screen where I choose LiveDVD and then after a few pages of graphics the screen goes blank.

It's dead, until I reboot.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:26:17 am

Hi,

try selecting the 2nd option in the Zorin menu which is safe graphics, then press "Tab" and type "nomodeset acpi=off" and then press enter!.

Your Nvidia card is supported by the driver version 331. (Geforce 9500GT)

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

Another option is to use a 32 Bit version of Zorin if you aren't already doing so!.

jtamark

Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:36:25 am

Safe graphics mode, of course, I should have tried that. I'll work on it this evening, as today I have to travel to a funeral.

I'm using the 32 bit version of Zorin. And, I may replace the DVD drive as the button isn't very responsive (have to push button 4 or 5 times to open the drive). I don't want hardware issues to cloud my install.

jtamark

Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:01:36 pm

Safe graphics mode isn't working, either with or without the command "nomodeset acpi=off"

With just Safe Graphics I end up with a blank screen. With the command "nomodeset acpi=off" I get the blank screen, but I'm able to escape out of it and start a Windows boot.

I'm counting on Linux to save me from the evil claws of the corporate giant.

jtamark

Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:12:46 pm

I also tried other techniques:

From Disk:
with just command "nomodeset" which gave me "general error mounting filesystems"
with "forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset" which ended in a blank screen

From USB with pendrivelinux program:
gave a stream of error saying "rejecting IO to offline device"

So, no luck here.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:28:24 pm

I am wondering if you might be better trying Zorin 8 Lite, but it expires in June.

jtamark

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I am wondering if you might be better trying Zorin 8 Lite, but it expires in June.

I was considering a different Linux altogether, like Mint, but aren't they all similarly based?
It's still worth a shot before giving up on Linux entirely.

I'm surprised Linux isn't compatible, since it's a basic Dell computer with XP. It's not like the system is some esoteric obscure manufacture.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:10:43 pm

Hi, it can depend as Dell are known for some issues (which is why they setup a separate Ubuntu hardware division!) If you want something that works all areas out of the box, give LXLE a go (http://lxle.net) - just installed it on a friends Toshiba and he is well pleased compared to the sluggishness of what his XP was offering! :D

jtamark

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:43:03 am

I've given up on Linux. I tried several different distributions (Zorin, Mint, LXLE) with DVD and thumbdrives, and using different commands to assist the installation. Linux is not working. The idea of an alternative OS is great, but it's useless unless it can function in the real world.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:48:21 am

Hi,

before you give up on Linux, try OpenSuse:

http://software.opensuse.org/131/en

Hope it works for you!, it is a good OS!. :D

jtamark

Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:24:05 pm

I tried to boot Live on another computer, a modern Dell with Win 7. Tried with both a DVD and USB stick, and neither worked. Oddly, both the DVD and the USB failed early, and didn't go as far as they did with the older XP machine.

I'm running Firefox, which is supposed to be Linux-friendly, but there may be an issue in my downloads.
I'm going to ask a friend to download Zorin onto a DVD, and see that works better.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:34:17 pm

Good luck and follow this advice:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

jtamark

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:23:45 pm

I had a friend download the file, burn a disc, and try it on his system. He works in the computer industry and has loaded Linux distributions before.

And...he can't get the distribution to work either! He checked the download with md5 chechsum, and it passed. But when trying to load the distro on his machine it isn't working.

Any ideas?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:46:11 pm

Hi,

did he burn the disk at the slowest pissible speed?, it seems strange that you cannot load it on his rig either!.

Did you download from here using Firefox browser?, http://zorin-os.com/free8.html only use Firefox and not a different browser!.

Open BIOS settings and see if you have ACPI enabled and disable it if it is.

Boot the disk and press the tab key and type the following "xforcevesa nomodeset nosplash" then press enter and see if it will boot!.

jtamark

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:45:00 pm

Yes, we burned the discs on the slowest speed, using firefox. I also got ImgBurn and tried that. ImgBurn graciously loaded some malware onto my computer that I had to remove.

I'll try your suggestion on ACPI and the other commands later on.

jtamark

Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39:57 pm

Opened Bios, but did not find a ACPI setting.

Tried two copies of the install disc, burned two different ways, each with the "xforcevesa nomodeset nosplash" command.

Each hung up after a little bit, and wouldn't install.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:09:46 pm

Hi,

what screen message are you getting if any?.

Did you try a Lite version out?.

jtamark

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:54:46 am

Screen messages vary, and sometimes after the initial Zorin screen it just goes black. Error messages include "filesystem check of mount failed" "squashfs error" and others.

I have tried Mint, Zorin, and LXLE in a variety of burn configurations. I took off the Nivdia video card so that won't cause issues. The system should be capable of all these distributions. It's a Dell, 2.0 GB RAM, Pentium 4 at 3.20 GHZ, and 71 GB of memory. Intel i848/i865 chipset.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:39:05 am

Hi,

you have a bad disk burn or a corrupted ISO, download a new copy from here!:

http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload ... 47533.html

You can also try using a different burner on another PC or use a USB drive!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

jtamark

Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:02:29 pm

I tried a USB drive as well, and also downloaded ImgBurn to see if that would help. ImgBurn didn't give different results, although the burn options are appreciated. What I didn't appreciate was the malware ImgBurn gave me with the program, but that's a different rant.

I'll try again with an ISO from softpedia. What specifically are the burn parameters? I know slow is good, and download from Firefox, but I must be missing something else too.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04:33 pm

Hi,

just safe and slow, thats all you need to do, check the quality of the disks by holding them to the light, if you can see pinpricks of light showing through them, throw them away!. Try a different burner on another PC also!.

jtamark

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:08:05 pm

Tried again, from the sourceforge site, also tried burning via windows, imgburn, and to a USB stick. All failed in one way or another.

Error codes include: kernal panic not synching attempted to kill init!
scripts/casper-bottom/25adduser:line 70 db get
filesystem check or mount failed

jtamark

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:12:35 pm

Also "squashfs" errors.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:35:08 am

Hi,

it may well be your hard drive?, I cannot honestly say as I am out of ideas!. :(

Go to a friend/family member and try the disks/USB stick on their PC, see if the same problems show up!. :D

Did you fully format the USB stick to FAT32?, is the disk burner you are using old and knackered?.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:15:51 pm

With regard to the "squashfs" errors, take a look here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SquashfsErrors

and here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=994979

Hope they help! ;)

jtamark

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:23:39 pm

A friend burned a Zorin install disc, tested it, and gave it to me. Here are my results:

Live Safe Graphics Mode w motherboard graphics = almost worked

Live Safe Graphics Mode w Nvidea board installed = system hung up

Live Safe Graphics Mode w Nvidea board installed and the tab command "xforcevesa nomodeset nosplash" = it works! It worked awfully, slow and buggy, but it worked.

I hesitate to actually load the system until I find out what the command line actually does. What does it do?
It is safe to drop XP and commit my soul to Linux?

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:40:01 pm

Have you tried running memtest? Did you look at those links in the last post I made?

Another alternative might be SolydX (http://solydxk.com/).

It is hard to advise you as we don't know the full specs of the machine (unless I missed this in a previous post) and we don't know the condition of the machine, the state of the DVD-RW drive you have - have you ever used one of these for example? This was an issue with another forum member a long time ago! :D

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

I would not ditch XP for GNU/Linux until you are sure it will work ok in 'Live' mode. :D

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 6:17:11 am

jtamark wrote:A friend burned a Zorin install disc, tested it, and gave it to me. Here are my results:

Live Safe Graphics Mode w motherboard graphics = almost worked

Live Safe Graphics Mode w Nvidea board installed = system hung up

Live Safe Graphics Mode w Nvidea board installed and the tab command "xforcevesa nomodeset nosplash" = it works! It worked awfully, slow and buggy, but it worked.

I hesitate to actually load the system until I find out what the command line actually does. What does it do?
It is safe to drop XP and commit my soul to Linux?

Hi,

I would not commit until such time as you find a version (if not Zorin) of Linux that you can install and run safely without problems!.

There are several factors to consider, age of PC, strength of graphics card, amount of RAM (memory) and CPU qualities and is your hard drive damaged/aged/knackered?.

Other options include LXLE, PeppermintLinux, LinuxLite, Lubuntu (on which Zorin Lite is based) and Bodhi.

Nvidia cards don't seem to play nice with Linux sometimes and I think that just using the "xforcevesa" command might be the one that does it for you but I cannot be sure!.

jtamark

Thu May 01, 2014 8:15:55 pm

Swarf and Wolf, the machine should be capable of most Linux distributions. It's got 71 GB of memory, 2.0 GB RAM, and has a 3.20 GHz Pentium 4 processor.
Swarf, I did look at those links. I ran a memtest and it came out fine, and looked at the other issues. Either way, with my friend's disc the system is running Live, just not running well.

Wolf, I'll try "xforcevesa" but what does that command really do?

I'm going to partition the drive, and load Zorin in one half, so I'll still have XP in the other half if things fall apart.
How do you feel about this idea?

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 5:34:04 am

Wolf, I'll try "xforcevesa" but what does that command really do?

Hi,

the command forces the system to use a safe graphics mode when booting and helps to ease the bootup by not stressing out the graphics chip!.

Check the partition guide for help with installing Linux and Windows together, DO NOT RUSH IT!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

This is also old(ish) but might help you:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubunt ... 10675.html

jtamark

Sat May 03, 2014 1:52:15 am

Install went great at first, but then had "Errno5 input/output error"
Said it was due to a faulty DVD, DVD drive, or hard drive.

I know my friend's disc is good, so I'm hoping it's just the DVD drive, which is old.
I'm going to see if he can load the distro onto a USB stick, and I'll try that.

jtamark

Sat May 03, 2014 2:06:01 pm

I tried a disc of Mint, and it worked! I'm running that now.

Hope you guys can figure out how to get Zorin working.

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:51:46 pm

jtamark wrote:I tried a disc of Mint, and it worked! I'm running that now.

Hope you guys can figure out how to get Zorin working.

Hi,

Zorin is working fine on 6 different PC's I installed it on, you are just one of the unlucky ones!.

You have Mint running so that is a plus!. :D

Sorry things didn't work out for you!.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 04, 2014 11:03:43 pm

Also to add to Wolfman's comments, have you ever used one of these?

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

It proved to be a dirty lens in the past! :D

zcsteele

Sat May 10, 2014 6:32:41 pm

I'm using Zorin OS 8 Lite on an old Dell system (DC 5750) and I had similar trouble getting the live cd to boot. I modified the boot parameters as follows:

Code:
/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset quiet splash --

After that, the live cd boots fine.

Swarfendor437

Sun May 11, 2014 2:06:56 pm

zcsteele wrote:I'm using Zorin OS 8 Lite on an old Dell system (DC 5750) and I had similar trouble getting the live cd to boot. I modified the boot parameters as follows:

Code:
/casper/vmlinuz file=/cdrom/preseed/custom.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.gz forcevesa acpi=off nomodeset quiet splash --

After that, the live cd boots fine.

Hi thanks for your valued contributions - have 60 blue jewels on me! :D

Windowsdefector14

Thu May 29, 2014 11:49:00 am

I'm having blank screen trouble too.

Reading through these posts makes me think Zorin ain't a practical solution....

Bill may have faults, but never struggled with an install like this....

Reviews never mention this, perhaps they just 'use' Zorin, never install it.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 12:06:30 pm

Windowsdefector14 wrote:I'm having blank screen trouble too.

Reading through these posts makes me think Zorin ain't a practical solution....

Bill may have faults, but never struggled with an install like this....

Reviews never mention this, perhaps they just 'use' Zorin, never install it.

Hi, can you keep to your own thread please? I will move this to your other thread when I get back home!

1. Please refrain from attempting to 'bump' your issue this way, and

2. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7393

It could lead to a temporary ban! ;)