This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Hard Drive Install

Slacker8

Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:31:07 pm

I have a Toshiba laptop that is about four years old and the original hard drive went out. I just purchased a new hard drive and want to do a fresh install of Zorin on the machine. My problem is the lap top will not run the DVD. It sees the DVD and runs when first powered up but the boot will not occur from the DVD. I also just noticed the AMD processor is a 64 bit and I am trying the 32 bit version, does this make a difference? I will download the 64 bit version and try it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Wolfman

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:07:39 am

32 bit will work on a 64 bit pc but not vice versa, did you burn the disk at the slowest possible speed, you may have write errors if you burnt it too fast!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

Slacker8

Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:20:59 pm

I did record the DVD at the slowest speed. Also there is no operating system on the hard drive at this point. I was hoping to omit Windows and only do Zorin or some other form of Linux. Is this possible? Yes , the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD first.

Wolfman

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:09:55 am

Hi Slacker8,

did you try booting in safe graphics mode or did you try to run the installer from the start, try different methods first.

When it comes to asking you about where to install the system, simply select use entire drive if you don't want Windows.

Regards Wolfman:)

maxmm5

Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:28:22 pm

Hi Slacker8, As far as I'm concern you can not install any Linux without Internet connection, so clean install is not an option, I suggest you install win first then set your net connection and use pen drive to install Zorin. One more suggestion, please wipe out win when you install Zorin. Good luck.

Slacker8

Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02:44 pm

Thanks for the tips everyone. I haven't had any time to continue the install effort but I will try again in the next few days. I guess I will try reinstalling Windows and then Zorin afterwards. I'll keep everyone updated on my progress. Thanks again!

Slacker8

Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:07:50 pm

SUCCESS!!

I eventually installed Windows and once I had an operating system I downloaded Zorin. Once Zorin was on the DVD I rebooted and Zorin installed flawlessly. Now the learning curve begins as I am very new to Linux and it's nuances. I have discovered that installing applications and etc are much different than on a WIndows based machine but I look forward to the challenges. Thanks for all the help everyone and I anticipate my visits to this site will only increase.

** ;) Windows was also wiped on the install