This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Problems Installing Zorin 8 on Compaq Presario R3000

fstrickland

Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:39:41 am

Good evening everyone,

I have some experience with Solaris 8, Solaris 10, OpenSuse, and Zorin 8. All of these experiences come from non-laptops. I am trying to install Zorin 8 on a laptop.

After installing the software, the last prompt wanted me to reboot. I selected that option, but nothing happen. After a long period of sitting, I decided to shut down the laptop. When I turned on the laptop, an error message about low graphics appeared. From reading numerous posts, the solution appears to be the need to install some software. In order to do this, I need to have Internet access. Again, from reading numerous posts I discovered that the lines about using the wired connection are missing. I tried to use vi to edit /etc/network/interfaces file. Even with sudo as the prefix command, I could not save my changes. I tried to use vim, but this editor would not open. In regular access, the reply was a list of packages that contain "vim." With sudo prefix, the command could not be found (sudo vim /etc/network/interfaces).

What am I missing in my troubleshooting efforts? Or is this a bad idea for attempting to install Zorin on a laptop?

Thank you,

Fred

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:28:59 am

Hi Fred,

go here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

and do the part about running "DPKG" (A NETWORK CABLE IS REQUIRED!).

Restart per the instructions with Ctrl + Alt + Del, DON'T CLICK ON RESUME!.

For your specs, I would use Zorin 8 Lite and not the normal Zorin 8 as Zorin 8 might be too heavy for that PC?.

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08375

fstrickland

Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:04:36 am

Good evening,

I followed the suggestions for obtaining the missing packages. These did not solve the problem for me. I will try using Zorin Lite. I will let you know how that goes.

Thank you,

Fred

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:33:38 am

Hi Fred,

good luck and don't forget to follow this advice about burning disks!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

fstrickland

Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:08:48 am

Good evening,

Zorin Lite worked better, but it too would not reboot at the end of the installation process. So I had to force the computer off. When I turned it on, the Zorin Lite seemed to be working. I tried to download and install LibreOffice and NetBeans. I had problems with this. I don't know the reason. I followed the instructions in http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=2247 and I decided to work with one program at a time. That seemed to work.

I need to be patient. Clicking too many times seems to create more problems. Some things take a long time to do anything.

I haven't figured out how to launch the wireless connection. In one place, the installed software report states that there is a Windows wireless program installed. When I work through the menu to create a wireless connection, the only entry is for a wired connection. I use the "Add" button to add a network. That does not seem to be doing anything. I see an error message about the network manager is not running.

So what am I missing here?

Thank you,

Fred Strickland

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:23:23 am

Hi Fred,

well you are halfway there!. :D

Open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and then paste this command and press enter, then enter your password (which won't show while typing!):

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

This will force any missing dependencies if they are missing!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

With regard to the Wifi drivers, if what you do above doesn't help. wait for Madvinegar to help you with that problem as he is the WIFi expert!. :D

Good luck!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:52:44 pm

Hi, I think you need to go with Lite - I would be tempted to wait and see what Zorin 9 Lite has to offer in several months time, and whilst you are waiting, give LXLE a spin (I installed this on a friend's laptop and he was so pleased with the speed and everything worked out of the box - sadly his hard drive died 3 days later ... he had had the drive for 10 years so it was to be expected! ;) )

(http://lxle.net)

fstrickland

Thu May 01, 2014 4:02:26 am

Good evening,

I followed the steps for adding the missing pieces. I notice while following the instructions for configuring software updates that there is a tab for additional drivers. Right at the top of the list is the Broadcom wireless LAN controller. The status was that the device was not working. I clicked on the option to use the wireless LAN. The progress bar went to about the 75% point and stopped. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and give it overnight. If this is still stalled, then I will try it again.

Concerning LXDE, I will keep that in the back fo my mind. I do have a Dell Latitude D505 (non PAE configuration) laptop. I might consider LXDE for this since neither Zorin Operating Systemsd would load. I have an old Del desktop and it frozen on the opening screen for Zorin Lite. I might conciser LXDE for that computer.

Thank you,

Fred

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 5:52:15 am

Hi Fred,

each time you post here you learn something new, here is another good option:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlMr2n6q7QA

fstrickland

Thu May 01, 2014 10:45:28 am

Good morning,

Concerning the attempt to install the Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11 b/g Wireless LAN Controller, it did not do anything further. I shut down the dialog box and restarted and it showed the status as "Do not use this device." I clicked on the option to use this controller and it became a grayed out screen with the progress bar at the same spot as before.

Now what?

Thank you,

Fred

PS Thanks for the link to the "Linux Lite 1.0.8 the BEST Replacement for Windows XP!" It is interesting.

Wolfman

Fri May 02, 2014 5:37:55 am

Hi Fred,

have you tried the Live CD and does the Wireless work when you run it live?. Does the network cable work when you boot live?.

Madvinegar can help you with the wireles problem, I will post him a link to this thread!.

madvinegar

Fri May 02, 2014 7:06:10 am

Hi. Sorry I missed this thread! Thank you WM for the PM.

You said your wirless card is BCM4306. I read that you need the b43 driver.
Plug an ethernet cable to get internet connection, open terminal (ctrl+alt+T), and run the following commands the one after the other, pressing <enter> after each one.

sudo apt-get remove --purge bcmwl-kernel-source
sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer
sudo modprobe -r b43
sudo modprobe b43

Your wireless should spring to life. A reboot may be needed.

If the above will not work, could you please post back the results of the following terminal commands?

lspci -nn | grep 0280
lsusb
sudo lshw -c network
sudo rfkill list all

fstrickland

Wed May 07, 2014 5:21:21 am

Good evening,

While waiting for additional help with the wireless issue, I decided to attempt to do some work with NetBeans (installed from the software catalog). I found it froze while attempting to create a project.

I am beginning to think that the 640 MB of RAM may not be enough. Maybe this is a clue that this is a no-go.

You had suggested Linux Lite. I viewed the whole show. It does sound interesting, but it won't run on my second laptop--that laptop does not have PAE support. I have discovered in my reading that anything based on Ubuntu post 12.04 will not install on non-PAE computers. I don't wish to connect "my wagon" to an operating system that will not be supported.

I have tried to get a good handle on this non-PAE support issue. The information is a bit confusing. Bodhi has a non-PAE version, but I don't see anything about NetBeans in its catalog. I need to do some more reading. It is late. My tired brain thinks that maybe I should install the same operating system on my computers. To do that, means going with a non-PAE edition. Am I missing anything in my thoughts?

Thank you for your help,

Fred

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 5:37:49 am

Hi Fred,

on a non PAE PC, you can use the "-- forcepae" command once the disk has booted to the Zorin boot menu by pressing "Tab" and typing the command and then press "Enter". This should/will work with Zorin 8 Lite (Lubuntu 13.10) upwards!.

See also:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Advance ... _Celeron_M

fstrickland

Sun May 11, 2014 4:41:46 am

Good evening Madvinegar,

I was not successful with your suggestions. The following lines are from your request:

fred@fred-Presario-R3000-DL273AV:~$ lspci -nn | grep 0280
02:02.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller [14e4:4320] (rev 03)
fred@fred-Presario-R3000-DL273AV:~$
fred@fred-Presario-R3000-DL273AV:~$ lsusb
Bus 004 Device 002: ID 04b4:0001 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. Mouse
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
fred@fred-Presario-R3000-DL273AV:~$ sudo lshw -c network
[sudo] password for fred:
*-network:0
description: Network controller
product: BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:02:02.0
version: 03
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=64
resources: irq:18 memory:d0204000-d0205fff
*-network:1
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 3
bus info: pci@0000:02:03.0
logical name: eth0
version: 10
serial: 00:0f:b0:02:72:7a
size: 10Mbit/s
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 duplex=half latency=128 link=no maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
resources: irq:19 ioport:a000(size=256) memory:d0208800-d02088ff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 3
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:90:4b:59:5d:ba
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=b43 driverversion=3.8.0-35-generic firmware=666.2 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
fred@fred-Presario-R3000-DL273AV:~$ sudo rfkill list all
0: phy0: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no

I did try the suggestion of attempting to access the Internet from the live CD environment. No success there for the wireless link.

== I did have a minor problem with sudo modprobe b43. It seemed to freeze.

What else should I be doing? It appears that the wireless device is seen by part of the computer. What am I failing to do?

Thank you,

Fred