This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Live runs but can't install Zorin 8

danweis1

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:24:17 pm

Hello all,
I am trying ti install Zorin 8 Core. The MD5sums match. I have burned the image to DVD. I have run the Live Image with no problem However, no matter what I try, I cannot install to disk. I have tried the suggested "tab", nomodset acpi=off" on lines 1 and 2, have tried to do a direct install, all to no avail. When I choose install from the Live mode, I just get a forever spinning cursor. If I try to install directly, I get the "Z" in the middle of the screen and it eventually just freezes up. I have tried with no partitions, with partitions (using gparted), etc. Nothing works.

Trying to install on a Lenovo Q150, 250GB HD, 2 GIG memory, Nvidia ION graphics. It was previously running Win 7 with no problems.

One more clue; the same thing happens with Linux Mint 16. I can run Live but cannot install. I did install CentOS 6.5 successfully but that is a older version of the Linux software, so there is something with the most up to date distributions that I cant get past.

Thanks for any help,
Dan

Wolfman

Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51:05 pm

Hi Dan,

try the command "xforcevesa" instead of "nomodeset apci=off" on the first option of the Zorin boot menu!.

danweis1

Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:57:06 pm

Hi Wolfman,
Tried it - no go. Same as before. DVD clunks a bit then stops. The system is not frozen however. I can still go to menu options, etc (with the cursor round and spinning). "Something" is preventing the command from being fulfilled. The shortcut is "sh -c "ubiquitygtk_ui"". I just tried to run that command from a terminal - same thing. It seems to be working in something, then after about 45 seconds, everything just stops. No output from the command in the terminal. When I 'ctrl c' it, the output I get is:

unmount: /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/90-mandatory.d: not mounted

Any ideas?

Dan

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:26:56 am

Hi,

I just noticed you did a disk burn!, did you follow this advice?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:11:46 pm

I think because it is this:

http://liliputing.com/2010/07/first-loo ... video.html

I would be going for Zorin Lite as it is basically a superpowered netbook without the screen! As it is aimed at multimedia usage I would be tempted to bu xmbcbuntu on it! ;)

Or this:

http://lxle.net

and watch it fly! :D

danweis1

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:18:55 pm

Wolfman,
I did re-burn a copy at 1X. Same thing; no joy. Frustrated.

Swarfendor437,
I had this running Win7 and WMC with no problems. It recorded and played back all video types including .wtv files which are huge. It just could not record and playback at the same time. In your link, I got the model with the dual core Atom processor and the Nvidia Ion graphics. I figured if it could run Win7 and WMC, it could certainly run most any variant of Linux. AND, I did actually have xmbcbuntu running on it at one point.

As for other distro's, I have tried so far: All burned at 1X (although that does not seem to matter at all, since I get the same result whether burned at MAX or 1X).
Linux Mint 14, 15, and 16 - No Joy
Zorin 6.4, 8, and 8 lite - No Joy
CentOS 6.5 - WORKS

As for LXLE, i'm going to try that, however - on their web site, you have to sit through a stupid LONG (3:52) video about baby bottles to get an answer to input before you can get the torrent file. They evidently haven't heard that anything longer than 30 seconds and most people will click away, which I did. Just do a search for the torrent on Google..... I'll post results on that LXLE.

Dan

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:49:50 am

Hi Dan,

if all else fails, try a USB install:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7171

danweis1

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:15:51 pm

Tried USB install. Same results. Live system runs perfectly. Installation bombs.

Same result with LXLE. HOWEVER, I did get a glimmer of a possible problem. When LXLE fails to install using the direct install mode (not live system first), the terminal output is actually shown (this does not happen with Zorin, Linux Mint, etc.) At the top of the screen are lines, most of which have scrolled off the screen. Here are some of those lines:

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/urandom'
Using CD-ROM mount point /cdrom/
Identifying..[long_string_of_numbers_letters]
Scanning disk for index files..
Found 0 package indexes, 0 source indexes, 0 translation indexes and 0 signatures
E: Unable to locate any package files, perhaps this is not a Debian Disc or the wrong architecture?

It then goes through a lot of "Starting" daemons, servers, etc. At the end:

ERROR: Can't open /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log in append mode (check permissions!).
ERROR: problem with internal logger (UpdateLogFile = /var/log/clamav/freshclam.log).

And a couple more lines about starting ClamAV.

So, a general question. Is there a way to show the terminal output during installation and turn off the pretty graphics that cover up all of the terminal output? Or is a log file saved anywhere?

Thanks,
Dan

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56:14 pm

Looks like Lenovo don't support Linux in terms of hardware support:

http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/p ... =Downloads

But found this interesting link in respect of a g470:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Linux-Discu ... m-p/585223

So it would appear that the only OS that will work is Meego (now defunct) or CentOS.

Now CentOS 6.5 is not that old - I have downloaded the current 6.5 and its life cycle ends end November 2020 so not that old!

You could give one more try - SolydX - this is a debian based product, an off-shoot of Mint, that is designed to 'install and forget' with rolling roll-ups every quarter and they customise Firefox and Thunderbird to ensure full compatibility before releasing.

danweis1

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:21:11 pm

Thanks for the help. I just hate giving up. BTW, SolydX does the same as the others. Guess I'll just use CentOS for now. There must be some basic reason for this. Kernel version? I just cant get my head around the hardware being non-compliant, and if CentOS runs and installs, then at some level this hardware WILL run Linux. I cut my teeth on BSD and SunOS in the 80's. Just really rusty now. There must be some common basic reason for this.
Dan

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 6:21:09 am

Hi Dan,

another thought, does your PC have ACPI enabled in BIOS?, you can try disabling that if it is active!.