This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] installation failure on win xp home

jsgsix

Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:16:30 pm

I have 3 computers: an HP Pentium 4 with 2 gb of ram, a Dell Pentium 4 with 2 gb of ram and an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ runing at 1.91 ghz with 1.96 gb of ram. The first two computers are running xp professional, the last one runs XP home. I have successfully installed Zorin OS 8 on the first two that are running on xp professional and am very happy with those installations. However, for some unknown reason, using the same bootable DVD that was used on the xp professional machines I cannot install Zorin OS 8 on the XP Home machine. I get the Zorin installation menu but when I try to do a full installation I keep getting the error message: input not supported. What is going on? And it it not my monitor. Actually, I run two monitors on the last machine but cannot install even when I disable one of the monitors. Please help if you can.

Wolfman

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:29:24 am

Hi,

on the monitors somewhere is a reset function, reset them both and try again!. (Either an external button or somewhere in the monitor menu!) :D

Also, when you see the Zorin menu, press "Tab" and type the follwing command "xforcevesa".

You can also try "nomodeset acpi=off nosplash". :D

jsgsix

Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:42:37 pm

None of the 3 suggestions by Wolfman worked. I continue to receive these error messages: Input not supported; Invalid or Corrupt Kernal Image; Cannot display this video mode, optimum resolution 1024x768 60Hz. I also attempted to install Ubuntu and got the same messages.

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:16:26 pm

OK, there must be some hardware issues involved that added together are creating issues. I would 'plump' for 'LXLE' as a possible alternative:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxle/fi ... rce=navbar

(Official site: http://lxle.net - to give you a flavour of what it offers)

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 6:25:39 am

Hi,

only use one monitor then open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command and post the results here please, we need to see what graphics card you have:

Code:
lspci

jsgsix

Fri May 02, 2014 9:02:50 pm

I can't use a Linux command line when I don't have Linux installed! The computer that I have been having difficulty installing Zorin 8 on is running Windows XP Home, Service pack 3. The processor is an AMD Athlon XP 2000+, 1.91 Ghz, 2 GB of RAM, 233 GB hard drive, not partitioned yet. The graphic card (display adapter) is Nvidia GeForce 4 MX Integrated GPU (Microsoft Corp.). The driver is ver. 5.6.7.3, 4/7/2004 (apparently the latest). The driver files are: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\nv4_mini.sys and C:\WINDOWS\systen32\nv4_disp.dll, ver. 6.14.10.5673

jsgsix

Fri May 02, 2014 9:07:05 pm

By the way, I have tried Dorian 7.5-i386 (LXLE based) and it will install on this computer, but I aborted that installation because I was waiting to see if we could get Zorin 8 to install.

Wolfman

Sat May 03, 2014 8:55:08 pm

Hi,

you were suppossed to run the command "lspci" on a live CD!.

The only command you can try is "xforcevesa", if that doesn't work try burning a new disk at the slowest possible speed!.

jsgsix

Sun May 04, 2014 1:50:43 am

You never said to run the "lspci" command from a live CD! Besides, the Zorin Live CD (DVD) won't boot on this 3rd computer of mine! That has been the problem all along. And there is no need to burn another DVD because I have already successfully installed Zorin 8 on two other computers with the first Zorin 8 DVD that I burned. At this point I have decided not to make any further attempts to install Zorin on this particular computer. Thanks for you help.

Wolfman

Sun May 04, 2014 5:46:18 am

Hi,

sorry it didn't work out, I will mark this thread as "Closed". :(