This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Partition sizes

dottie

Wed May 07, 2014 3:21:31 pm

Please can you tell me the size that the swap partition should be? The RAM is 2GB so should it be 4GB?
I have 50GB free so am proposing 10GB root/4GB swap/36GB home. Is this OK?
I have a 32 bit laptop (Windows installation) and downloaded Zorin LTS last year. I think I downloaded the 32 bit version (can't remember exactly) and it works well as a live DVD. Would 64 bit be appropriate?

Wolfman

Wed May 07, 2014 4:54:31 pm

Hi,

2GB Swap is okay, you could use 4GB but it really/rarely won't get used anyway!..

Stick with the 32 bit version if it runs well!. If you try the 64 bit version on an XP rig, you may find it won't run at all!.

Partition guides:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Keeping your data intact after system upgrade:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

dottie

Wed May 07, 2014 5:54:27 pm

Thank you for this information. It is a few years since I last installed/worked with Linux (Mint and Ubuntu) so it is just a case of refreshing my memory. The laptop is cleaned, defragmented and now partitioned so I can get on with the installation.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 07, 2014 6:42:56 pm

If you are doing a clean install, and not dual booting, see my vid - but as Wolfman said, you could probably get away with 2 Gb swap. The video shows how I install manually:

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v67233697bJ2bS9jm

[I would do the same with 32-bit! ;) ]