This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Failed attempt to Boot the live system with Zorin OS 8.1

EdnDot

Mon May 12, 2014 11:19:52 pm

Failed attempt to Boot the live system with Zorin OS 8.1

Error Code = Not enough memory to load specified image. boot: _

Downloaded Zorin-OS-8.1-core-64.iso (two times). Identical count 1,711,140 KB

Burned 2 DVDs, One from each download, Using ImgBurn with Verify selected.
Lowest possible speed = 4X with Samsung DVD Multi Recorder

The DVDs contain 5 Folders and 3 files
Folders: .disk= 63 bytes; casper= 162 GB; install= 172 MB; isolinux= 185 KB; preseed= 211 bytes.
Files: md5sum.txt= 844 bytes; README.diskdefines= 201 bytes; ubuntu= 0 bytes

Tried numerous times: Boot the Live System.
after a few seconds get this message: Not enough memory to load specified image. boot: _

Also tried: Boot Live System in Safe Graphics Mode: resulted in same message.

Ran MemTest: took about 1 hr 05 minutes. No errors found.

System is Dell Optiplex 740, AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+ 2.10 GHz,
with Win XP SP3 OS
RAM DDR2 (PC2-5300) = 3070 MB of RAM, 1824 MB Free
Video Adapter = ATI Radeon HD 5450 w/ 1024 MBytes Memory

Note: This is significant to me
After my failed attempts with Zorin, I downloaded XUbuntu AMD64.iso;
Burned disk and loaded it for evaluation. XUbuntu loaded and operated properly.

Borrowed Zorin OS 8.1 64 bit ISO, and Zorin OS 8 Gaming 32 bit from friend.
With these Disks Boot the live system resulted in this message: Not enough memory to load specified image. boot: _
I definitely want to "Test Drive" Zorin, rather than settle for Xubuntu. Help! Thanks

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 5:43:55 am

Hi,

you should maybe try the Lite version of Zorin!, if Xbuntu is running, it might suggest you don't have enough memory to run Zorin OS 8?. What are your system specs?. :D

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Insta ... quirements

Anonymous

Tue May 13, 2014 8:27:10 am

Hi
You can try instead the 32 bit version. I have just same processor and 2GB RAM and 32 bit version of Zorin 8.1 Core installed to a 16 Gb USB drive as full install and works nicely. On 250 Gb internal HDD I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit version installed , so there should not be any shortage of resources to run Zorin 8.1 Core in your computer either.

EdnDot

Tue May 13, 2014 4:18:46 pm

Thank you for the replies to my post.
I won't actually install Zorin to the computer until I work with it within the Live System and feel comfortable about replacing WinXP. I need to limit down-time to < 2 days for continuity of operation.

Wolfman, I listed several specs in the original post.
I will soon replace the (4) 1GB DDR2 (PC2-5300) RAM with (4) 2 GB DDR2 (PC2-5300) RAM (total 8 GB, max that system supports)
The 1824 MB free memory I listed came from freeware SIW (System Information for Windows).
What unlisted system Specs do you need?

Henriolavi,
I will download the 32 bit and attempt install to 16GB USB.
It will be 3 or 4 days before I can get it done and report back to the forum.
Thanks again,

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 4:53:23 pm

Hi,

when you see the Zorin menu on the live CD, try pressing "Tab" and then type these commands:

Code:
nomodeset acpi=off xforcevesa

and press "Enter" and see if that helps!.

Sorry that I didn't read your post about system specs correctly! :(

EdnDot

Tue May 13, 2014 5:44:07 pm

Wolfman,
Thanks, I just did the same thing. My screen opened so that the first time around I saw only the last sentence of your post.
I will try the "Tab" and Commands tomorrow and report back.

Anonymous

Tue May 13, 2014 6:36:40 pm

Hi

If You are using an USB Drive to run Zorin 8.1 Core either as live installation or full installation, select a high speed drive with minimum reading speed 25 to 30 Mb/s. Then it will work and the speed is near the same as running from the internal HDD. You can use preferably a USB 2.0/3.0 specified drive where the reading speeds are typically 50 to 100 Mb/s. Then the speed limitation is defined from your computers USB bus.