This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

SOLVED)Dual boot Zorin OS with windows 7 by replacing ubuntu

gaurav89

Tue May 13, 2014 11:54:10 am

I am using dual boot machine with ubuntu and
> windows 7 installed on it. But I am now interested to install Zorin OS as
> it looks much attractive than ubuntu. Also I am useful to Windows
> environment and it is providing much experience of Windows environment and
> Screenshots of this OS is much appealing. So I want to replace ubuntu with
> Zorin along with my windows 7 OS on the same machine. So please tell me how
> to replace my ubuntu OS with Zorin without affecting my Windows 7 OS.
>
> Please response me

Wolfman

Tue May 13, 2014 1:45:05 pm

Hi,

follow this guide but you should still format both your Ubuntu root and home partitions as the config files might cause a problem with Zorin, you can use the same partitions you have now.

BACKUP YOUR DATA!. :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

gaurav89

Thu May 15, 2014 6:24:45 am

Thanks Wolfman for your response..... Actually I want to remove completely Ubuntu before installing Zorin with Windows 7 untouched with all settings, data, home roo partitions etc and want to install a fresh copy of Zorin with windows 7 untouched. ... I have little knowledge about these root partitions, swap partitions ect. So please give me another alternative easy explanatory method to remove ubuntu and Install Zorin with windows 7 untouched.

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 7:15:15 am

Hi,

all I can give you is this:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

I have tried to keep it as simple as possible with various scenarios!. :D

gaurav89

Thu May 15, 2014 9:19:12 am

Thanks Wolfman..... but please clarify me whether in this process is there any damage to my other drives (like D: E: etc containing my personal data)...

Swarfendor437

Thu May 15, 2014 11:57:49 am

Hi, Just so we are clear, run Zorin in Live mode and submit screenshots of your Drives/Partitions using:

1. GParted - (just enter GParted in the search bar of the menu - it will be the only thing returned, then launch it.

2. Take a Screenshot (Menu | Accessories | Screenshot) then open the screenshot (it automatically saves as a .png - [oh and you only need to check 'current window' rather than whole screen] using 'Image viewer' (Menu | Graphics) then 'Save as ...' - change extension from .png to .jpg - you will get a much reduced file to upload without loss of quality.

Then we can advise accordingly. :D

gaurav89

Mon May 19, 2014 1:40:25 pm

Dear Swarfender437... Sorry for the late response... I have uploaded the image as you have asked me... Please dear respond me as early as possible so that I can install Zorin replacing ubuntu...

Swarfendor437

Mon May 19, 2014 8:12:15 pm

OK, don't take this personally, but that partitioning is a mess! :lol:
Just looking at it gives me the impression that you have set up individual data drives for different members of the family - that really isn't necessary as you could have created just ONE data partiton separated out from your C:\ drive (sda2). I would seriously consider backing up all your data to an external drive and deleting your extended partition and start afresh:

1. Only you will know how much Data you are going to want for Windows in the Extended Partition, so think very carefully! You could format that to NTFS.

2. After your data partition, create a 'root' partition of 30 Gb for Zorin 'system' and format to 'ext4' (NOT NTFS), then make a 'swap' partition of 4 Gb - you don't have to specify a file system type as swap uses its own file system, Lastly, whatever is left, format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' - this is the global folder for all users which will get allocated as users are added to the system.

I HEREWITH DECLARE THAT I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF THINGS GO WRONG!!! :D

Wolfman

Tue May 20, 2014 12:05:02 pm

Hi,

you need to decide yourself what and how much space you need for your data, for Linux to run correctly, you must create 3 partitions, swap (up to 4GB), a root, anywhere between 20 and 30GB and a home which can be any size really depending on what you want, you can share data partitions between Windows and Linux as long as they are either FAT32 or NTFS, Windows cannot (won't) read Linux partitions with other formats like Ext4!.

Backup all your data and read the partiton guide guide again, I cannot say anymore!.

gaurav89

Fri May 23, 2014 5:01:39 am

Dear Wolfman and Swarfender437, I have removed ubuntu from my system safely but now I have problem in installing Zorin 8.1 Core OS. During installation Zorin is using sda8 & sda9 for data files and Zorin installation (ext4) but I want to use sda6 for data files and installation as I have previously used in case of ubuntu......

Wolfman

Fri May 23, 2014 5:38:54 am

Hi,

then use the "Something Else Method":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=22956#p22956

gaurav89

Fri May 23, 2014 6:06:31 am

Dear Wolfman I have removed all the Linux partitions of ubuntu like home, root, swap partitions etc and make my system running only Windows 7 with deleting ubuntu partitions and now I have only NTFS partitions created by Windows 7. I mean I have made my system like I have never installed Linux on it. Now please tell me whether I have to follow the same method as you said above or is there any better alternative method... It's my last query... Please tell me as soon as possible so that I can install Zorin along side Windows 7.

Wolfman

Fri May 23, 2014 6:09:58 am

Follow "Part 1" here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

gaurav89

Fri May 23, 2014 10:35:57 am

I have successfully installed Zorin along with windows 7... Thanks Wolfman for your help.... Suggestions of Swarfender437 was also helpful so thanks to Swarfender437 also.....

Wolfman

Sat May 24, 2014 6:36:26 am

Great news, will mark as solved!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sat May 24, 2014 3:48:42 pm

Glad you are sorted friend! :D