This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade from 7 to 8?

rockyjoe

Wed May 14, 2014 4:48:51 pm

Is there an easy upgrade from version 7 to 8? The instructions on the website (http://zorin-os.com/upgradeguide.html) are unclear.
What does "Backup all your valuable data that you might have to an external media or the internet." mean? All user directories, Firefox add-ons and configuration preferences, wifi keys, Ad Block Plus preferences and filter scripts, bookmarks, samba configs, email client config, software installs and upgrades, EVERYTHING?
It also doesn't explain what "Open Start > System > Administration > GParted and delete the ext4 and linux-swap partitions and click apply." does. Is it just deleting the main partition that has the OS on it?
Than it tell me to restore the files I backed up.
Correct me if I'm wrong but by the looks of the instructions I'm just deleting version 7 and doing a clean install of version 8. I hope this is not the case. I have 3 users on this machine, countless files and a lot of configuration of applications, etc. I might as well go back to Windows if it is.
Can I do an upgrade from 7 to 8?
Thanks for your help.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 14, 2014 7:06:52 pm

Hi rockyjoe, and welcome to the Zorin forum! :D

In answer to your question, please take a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

as to keeping all 'tweaks' and 'looks' etc., I will let Wolfman answer that bit for you! ;)