This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) [USER ERROR?] LVM Problem in 8.1 Core 64

SimonVM

Thu May 15, 2014 1:14:04 am

Greetings, Folks;

Not sure if this is known, but, if not, it might be important.

If I do a clean install of 8.1 Core 64 (using the "Remove" option), it automatically adds LVM, even when not selected. The result is a 255 MB boot partition on sda1; sda2 becomes an extended partition holding the remainder of the drive space, on it sda5 logical partition (100% used by LVM) with live--vg-swap_1 (4 GB swap partition) and live--vg-root (root partition).

LVM is great, but only manageable by command prompt, as GParted doesn't support it. Moreover, when adding any other flavor of Zorin to this (even 8.1 Core 64 itself), the installer can't recognize it, and only offers to remove it. Completely beyond the scope of an ordinary Windows user, and not what I expected. If you use this, you won't be able to add any other distro in the future.

Other flavors I've tried (6.4 Core 64, 8.1 Education 64 and 8.0 Gaming 64) don't have this problem; on a clean install they create a small extended partition sda2 at the end of drive space for a 4 GB sda5 swap, and use the remainder for sda1 and make it bootable. Adding other flavors recognize this setup and nicely offer to create some space for themselves by reducing sda1, extending sd2 and adding sda6 / sda7 etc. Works perfectly, good gui and completely as expected.

Don't know about 8.1 Core 32, that might do as the other three (no LVM), I'm hoping to test it tomorrow.

The problem with 8.1 Core 64 looks like a bug, and, if so, new users ought to be warned for it.

Don't need help, just want to know if someone else has ran into this also. :)

Take care,
Simon

Wolfman

Thu May 15, 2014 7:21:09 am

Hi,

I always do manual partitioning first and then select "Something Else":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

"Something Else":

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848&p=22956#p22956

SimonVM

Fri May 16, 2014 2:10:14 am

Thanks Wolfman.

To be sure, I've tried the entire day to recreate this problem, and somehow, I can't; no matter what I do, 8.1 Core clean install works as it ought to, so now I am really starting to doubt myself, and wondering if I accidentally (or in a state of temporary madness) checked the LVM option myself, without knowing what I was doing. Happens a lot to me lately, must be getting old...

Anyway, if no one else has ran into this, it is surely my own problem, and I apologize for the inconvenience. If not, well, then, at least, there's a thread for it.

Take care,
Simon

[SOLVED] [himself] :)

Wolfman

Fri May 16, 2014 12:50:51 pm

No problem Simon, have marked as solved!. :D