This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

(SOLVED) Installation on Dell Inspiron 5160

mtpockit

Fri May 16, 2014 11:15:32 pm

I need help. I'm trying to install Zorin 8 on a Dell Inspiron 5l60 laptop. It has a 1.7 processor (Pentium 4) & 1G of Ram. I've used the Disc I created to install this OS on a Samsung Netbook N150 and it works good. Also installed it on an Acer laptop with no problems either. My first attempt to install Zorin 8 was on a Dell Latitude D630 and it worked great, except for WiFi. Thankfully, the forum provided the necessary instructions to solve that problem. However, I cannot figure out what to try next on this Inspiron. When I boot up with the Installition Disc in place, hit F12, the one-time boot function appears; I arrow down to CD/DVD, etc and hit enter; almost immediately Zorin's blue screen pops up with several choices, the 3 one being to install directly. Making that selection, the next screen is Zorin's blue screen, acting as though it's installing, shortly after a black screen appears and it still appears to be installing, then the screen changes to a different blue, then a 'blue outline' & white in the center, then the screen goes completely white and the installation function ceases; the screen stays white and that is as far as I can get it to go. I did the check suggested for 'poe' but the part about not being on the computer never appeared. On the 'assumption' that maybe the optical drive wasn't working properly, I tried using the external one I used to make the installation on the netbook, but, alas, that didn't work either; an error would come up saying the port I plugged the player into had a 'power surge' and needed to be disconnected. When I used it to install on the netbook, I didn't use an external power supply, but I tried using one on this Dell, with the same results.

Is there any help out there for me? I'm really open to try any suggestions. Is perhaps Zorin 8 too much for this 2005 model? If so, is there another Linux OS that may work on older computers???

(This is a friend's computer but after he saw Zorin working on my old Dell laptop, he was hoping to get it installed on his so he wouldn't have to buy another computer to just do (mostly anyway) emails).

Wolfman

Sat May 17, 2014 6:54:32 am

Hi,

I would go for Zorin Lite 8 and when you are at the Zorin menu, press the "Tab" key and type the following "xforcevesa nomodeset" and see if it boots okay, Lite won't stress out out your PC so much!.

mtpockit

Sun May 18, 2014 2:39:45 am

Thanks so very much for your help and advice. Zorin 8 Lite installed without a hitch (I did follow your instructions and type in the info you provided). Do you think LibreOffice could be installed? Lite comes with a word processor but not a spreadsheet program, such as 'calc'. Again, thanks for all your help.

Wolfman

Sun May 18, 2014 5:03:16 am

Hi,

only one way to find out, try installing it (Libreoffice) and see if it runs!. :D

Glad you have Zorin Running though, see the post install guide (Zorin Lite) too for extra tips!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

An alternative is KingSoft Office but I have never used it so please don't ask me questions about it:

http://wps-community.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=389

Please read through their forum if you have problems with it!:

http://wps-community.org/forum/