This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 6 and graphics card not detected

ckrles

Wed May 28, 2014 6:25:22 pm

Hi everyone!!! I have an old pc with a Pentium 4, 1Gb Ram ann Graphics card S3 ProSavageDDR (86c420)

It is my mother's old computer which was running Windows Xp whose support has ceased (I wasn't running very smooth either). So I'd like to extend its life using Zorin 6 Lts, and to make it easier for my mother. However, I found a problem which seems to be related to the graphics card. The graphics card is not recognised and seems not to have a driver included in Zorin 6. I know there is a driver for linux because that computer is currently running Xubuntu 12.04, but I'd rather make it easier for her installing Zorin 6 Lts (core). I tried Lubuntu 12.04 but I found that I couldn't change the supertiny size of the fonts.

So, my question: How to install the graphics card driver when the system is unsuable? (I can only see the Zorin logo on the bottom left corner) I guess maybe using some kind of manual installation and adjusting some parameters, but I don't know how to do it. I'd appreciate a tutorial or steps and the driver download link.

When I install it I only see the Zorin logo on the left bottom and some pink lines appears now a then on the monitor. System is unresponsive.

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 10:51:34 pm

Hi, S3 cards are quite old now so not sure how well it will work out.

When you boot in live mode, and you get the boot menu, press the letter 'e' on the keyboard to edit the boot command line and try this (NO GUARANTEES!):

Code:
xforcevesa nomodeset acpi=off nolapic

after you have entered the commands, press the enter key on the keyboard to boot with the new graphics mode settings.

keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 7:11:16 am

Hi,

further to Swarfs suggestion, I happen to have a couple of SIS deb driver packages, if you PM me with your Email address, I will try and send them to you but I cannot say whether or not they will work for you!.

ckrles

Thu May 29, 2014 1:09:37 pm

I'll give your sugestions a try next week. I'm quite busy at the moment. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thank you very much.

Wolman, I have sent you a message.

All suggestions are most welcome.

ckrles

Thu May 29, 2014 1:15:05 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, S3 cards are quite old now so not sure how well it will work out.

When you boot in live mode, and you get the boot menu, press the letter 'e' on the keyboard to edit the boot command line and try this (NO GUARANTEES!):

Code:
xforcevesa nomodeset acpi=off nolapic

after you have entered the commands, press the enter key on the keyboard to boot with the new graphics mode settings.

keep us posted! :D

But I guess this may allow me to boot in live mode. But how can I do it to install that forced driver?

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:35:58 pm

So, have you tried it in live mode? Did it bring up the desktop?

Wolfman

Fri May 30, 2014 8:52:42 am

SIS drivers sent per Email, check your inbox!. :D