This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin and J1800 mother boards

ckrles

Wed May 28, 2014 6:55:34 pm

Hi, I'm building a mini-itx pc and planning on using zorin 6 and later move on to Zorin 9 when available.
My problem is with the mini itx board. It is meant to be used in a business where not a lot of power is required, so I was considering motherboards with integrated cpu (celeron j1800 or may J1900) which also have integrated graphics card. These are the mother boards I'm interested in:

- Asus J1800i-C (very similar to Asus J1800i-A)
- MSI J1800i
- Gigabyte j1800-d2h

I'm concerned with their support for linux since I think that some of the are kind of locked to only use Windows 8. some of them won't even boot Win7.
So, I'd like to know if any of you are running Zorin or any ubuntu based distro on this board and if the installation was easy and out of the box.

Somewhere I read a user who is running linux on Gigabyte j1800-d2h but he had to update the BIOS to F3 and it was a bit complicated and I don't want to start fiddle with BIOS update, something I have no experince at. This is what the manufacturer says about Linux "Due to different Linux support condition provided by chipset vendors, please download Linux driver from chipset vendors' website or 3rd party website." You can see it here http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=4881#sp It seems that BIOS update will support it, but I don't wanna take the risk of receiving one which is not updated.

Anybody with these boards? (Experiences about J1900 mother boards are most welcome too)

Thank you very much.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 10:55:05 pm

Hi, Something I have always wanted to attempt but never got round to doing - sorry I cannot offer advice on that, and would suspect not many moderators may have this setup (Gizmuntu?). This is new territory - hope someone is able to advise soon for you! :D

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 7:05:44 am

Hi,

like Swarf I cannot help you but you can start here which may be of help:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport ... therboards