This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cant Install, USB ports stop working

jtkirby

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:15:12 pm

Hello,
I looked through the forum and did a search and cant seem to find my issue. I am new to Linux and need to start getting used to it for school. I have tried to install Zorin OS 8 and Fedora 20 and neither seem to want to work. My keyboard/mouse (well all my 2.0 and 3.0 USB ports) stop working as soon as the system loads up to the install screen and the same thing happens when I try to go to the live versions. I have downloaded the kernels from the respective sites and then tried it on a thumb drive and cd with the same problem. My computer is new and here are the specs:

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula
CPU: Intel Core I5-4670K CPU 3.4GHz
Memory: 16.0 GB
OS: 64 bit Windows 7 Professional (which is installed on my SSD but trying to install Linux on a separate HDD)
Graphics: Sapphire 100352-3L Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384 bit GDDR5

Please keep in mind that I am Brand New to Linux and most likely don't know the slang but will try anything ya'll have in mind.

Thanks,
Kirby

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:58:40 pm

Well, the simplest thing to do would be to remove the SSD, install Zorin to the other drive, then reinstall the SSD drive - then on next boot, enter the BIOS to make your drive with Zorin on to boot first - hopefully it will pick up your SSD with Windows 7 on it and add it to the GRUB boot menu - keep the Zorin Drive as the default one to boot off, then if you want Windows 7 to boot first from the GRUB menu, follow Wolfman's links to guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5938&p=28452&hilit=Changing+Boot+Order#p28452 :D

Welcome to Zorin by the way! :D

jtkirby

Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:34:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well, the simplest thing to do would be to remove the SSD, install Zorin to the other drive, then reinstall the SSD drive - then on next boot, enter the BIOS to make your drive with Zorin on to boot first - hopefully it will pick up your SSD with Windows 7 on it and add it to the GRUB boot menu - keep the Zorin Drive as the default one to boot off, then if you want Windows 7 to boot first from the GRUB menu, follow Wolfman's links to guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5938&p=28452&hilit=Changing+Boot+Order#p28452 :D

Welcome to Zorin by the way! :D

Do you think that this will fix the problem with it not recognizing the USB ports? That seems to be the issue is that once it gets to the screen for me to choose the option of the install none of the usb ports (2.0 or 3.0) will not work. If you think this will work it would be easy for me to remove the SSD and try it, I just am not sure if it will work or not.

Thanks for helping me and I am really excited to try it, if I can get it installed lol.

(I can run it in a Virtual Box though)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52:47 am

Have you checked that USB devices (external devices) are present in the BIOS and that they can be made to be the first item to boot off? Make sure that they are enabled (legacy) and set to 'fast'. :D

If still having issues, use PLOP Boot manager:

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html